Quantcast

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think that looks a hellufalot like the air valve on the treks, not an inverted fork, but who knows, maybe I'm crazy. Maybe shimano fox can introduce a new front hub standard :D again.

So now that aaron gwin is the goto guy on the WC circuit, along with minnaar (who are both on fox) is gee getting kicked to the back of the bus with the testing?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So now that aaron gwin is the goto guy on the WC circuit, along with minnaar (who are both on fox) is gee getting kicked to the back of the bus with the testing?
I doubt that they will kick back a constant wc title contender. Though you bring an interesting observation. All of the top 3 guys are on Fox. WTF is SRAM thinking?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
SRAM is sponsoring a lot of successful XC racers....in an olympic year....which will get moar TV coverage than any DH event. WTF is Fox thinking??? ;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just saw that FB post this am, massive...I think the writing is on the wall we will be seeing an Atherton bike with an inverted fox very soon. Who get's the first feature? Dirt? Vital? PB?...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2013:

marz reintroduces the shiver.

RS introduces an inverted boxxer

fox introduces an inverted 40.

manitou introduces a dorado in the normal configuration with cast magnesium lowers.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
not for production? that makes me a sad panda.
Wait until the 29er hype really hits the DH world. Then everybody will release a USD fork because it is the only way you can produce a 26" and 29" compatible fork. ;)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what is Manitou doing that Fox cant in terms of torsional stiffness? the Dorado is almost 1/2lb lighter then the 40 as it is now.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
what is Manitou doing that Fox cant in terms of torsional stiffness? the Dorado is almost 1/2lb lighter then the 40 as it is now.
I was wondering the exact same thing after reading that article. I would think of any of the "big suspension companies", Fox would be the one w/the deepest pockets and the most resources available to them to figure it out.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
maybe nothing? it could be that gee atherton and aaron gwin genuinely appreciate the stiffness of a 40. I know, I'm speculating wildly right now.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
the last two years of the Dorado havent been made of carbon. only the 2009 was (and the original)
Air spring Vs Coil.

And (maybe) Fox's benchmark of torsional stiffness comes from a 40mm stanchion fork, not whatever Manitou might have used.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Air spring Vs Coil.

And (maybe) Fox's benchmark of torsional stiffness comes from a 40mm stanchion fork, not whatever Manitou might have used.
are air springs stiffer?
Manitou uses a 36mm leg and i havent heard anyone complain about stiffness on the carbon or the newer aluminum version, though im sure its still not as stiff as the "normal" 40.
i guess fox's requirement could be higher then Manitou's

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think he was suggesting that air springs are lighter, and thus they can spend more weight making it stiffer. I think the pretty obvious answer is that fox has higher requirements for stiffness then manitou, and gwin an atherton are inclined to agree.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I was wondering the exact same thing after reading that article. I would think of any of the "big suspension companies", Fox would be the one w/the deepest pockets and the most resources available to them to figure it out.
Manitou had OUTSIDE help with chassis design BTW.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Honest question manhattanprjkt83: what are the advantages? The current iteration of the 40 is basically stiction free, they specifically said the damper was the same, barring potential tuning mods for the individual rider (which atherton and gwin already have on their standard 40's). The only reason to go to it would be for chassis improvement - both gwin and atherton liked the straightline rockgarden monstertruck compliance, but felt it was too flexy in the corners (which is the most important, according to fox, and gwin/atherton), and it was already heavier. Not much chassis improvement there, and there isn't a significant amount of stiction to reduce. It also exposes the stantions to rock strikes (moreso then the current).

The only reason I could see it happening is if 29 inch wheels start popping up more on DH bikes, as irider suggested.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The Manitou/Fox debate is pretty simple.

Manitou said the Dorado is stiff and people will believe it, Fox said the inverted 40 wasn't stiff enough and people will believe it. It's not like either company is going to publish the numbers for you to look at.

Whatever Fox's reason for not making an inverted 40 you can be sure the official statement will always be because it's not as good as the current model.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Air spring Vs Coil.

If they used travis their benchmark was pretty stiff. That stupid reverse arch + hex axle made that fork plenty stiff.