Quantcast

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
2013:

marz reintroduces the shiver.
so close...

"The Shiver will return! Marzocchi told Pinkbike, on the record, that they are currently working on a brand new Shiver. We couldn't get a release date out of them, likely meaning that it is still a ways off (think 2014), but it will happen."

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Honest question manhattanprjkt83: what are the advantages? The current iteration of the 40 is basically stiction free, they specifically said the damper was the same, barring potential tuning mods for the individual rider (which atherton and gwin already have on their standard 40's).The only reason I could see it happening is if 29 inch wheels start popping up more on DH bikes, as irider suggested.
The post below you hit the nail on the head, there is lots of smoke and mirrors when it comes to this stuff. Technology is at a point where almost all of it is good, even if they could equal the performance of the 40, you would have droves of people dropping 40s for the new cool fork. It's retail the goal is to sell tons of sh1t.

Im just guessing we wont see the 40 as being the only option from fox for the next 10 years...

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
so close...

"The Shiver will return! Marzocchi told Pinkbike, on the record, that they are currently working on a brand new Shiver. We couldn't get a release date out of them, likely meaning that it is still a ways off (think 2014), but it will happen."

Yes, this is very interesting article ...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i guess fox's requirement could be higher then Manitou's
Manitou have always made brilliant dampers, but I don't think an inverted chassis is the prime candidate for a DH race fork. Jump off any current-gen conventional fork onto an invert, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't notice a loss in torsional stiffness during cornering.

Inverted forks obviously have a following but I think they should slot into an existing product line alongside a conventional fork. Marzocchi have the right idea in this regard, keep the 888, build another Shiver.

Fox said the inverted 40 wasn't stiff enough and people will believe it. It's not like either company is going to publish the numbers for you to look at.
That's an overly simple way of looking at it.

Of course the inverted fork lost torsional stiffness, anyone with their head screwed on could have told them that before they built the fork - that itself is hardly a marketing ploy. I'm sure they were well aware of the fact themselves.

However, I suspect building the fork was partially a marketing exercise to say "look, we tried it, and it didn't work", which is a better argument in the public eye than saying the same thing without trying it.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Manitou have always made brilliant dampers, but I don't think an inverted chassis is the prime candidate for a DH race fork. Jump off any current-gen conventional fork onto an invert, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't notice a loss in torsional stiffness during cornering.

Inverted forks obviously have a following but I think they should slot into an existing product line alongside a conventional fork. Marzocchi have the right idea in this regard, keep the 888, build another Shiver.

That's an overly simple way of looking at it.

Of course the inverted fork lost torsional stiffness, anyone with their head screwed on could have told them that before they built the fork - that itself is hardly a marketing ploy. I'm sure they were well aware of the fact themselves.

However, I suspect building the fork was partially a marketing exercise to say "look, we tried it, and it didn't work", which is a better argument in the public eye than saying the same thing without trying it.
Fair point, but I'm afraid some Dorado fans have had their heads cross-threaded in that regard. See p.13

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Yes the inverted design has no big advantages over conventional forks but a few disadvantages.
The good thing is that an inverted fork has less problems with dirt in on or under wipers/seals, and they are always nicely lubricated.
Rode a Dorado last season in really muddy conditions.

Manitou could have done better by not placing all the heavy bits and oil in the unsprung lowers. And they should have installed longer upper bushings. Inverted moto forks seem to have the upper bushings mounted to the inner tubes, moving with them, giving more overlap the more travel is used. But that needs upper tubes with a smooth and durable surface on the inside and tight tolerances, making manufacturing much more expensive.

But the Dorado is an absolute eyecatcher in the lift queue and every gravity downhill internet forum I know has at least one thread about it.
That attention alone could cause a company like Fox build an inverted fork.