Quantcast

US Open, rider down.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
One of the Am Women's riders, Hannah Trimble was airlifted off the course after she crashed and broke her neck.
Latest update is that there are no injuries to her spinal cord, so she'll be OK in the long run, but has to stay at the local hospital for 2 weeks.

Thoughts and prayers...

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
She actually injured herself crashing in the last wooded technical section, then got back on her bike and hit the big redbull jump at the end of the course with a broken neck.
She said she was blacking out mid air which is why she crashed the second time.

Things are looking good at the hospital. It's hard to keep someone that hardcore down.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
She actually injured herself crashing in the last wooded technical section, then got back on her bike and hit the big redbull jump at the end of the course with a broken neck.
She said she was blacking out mid air which is why she crashed the second time.

Things are looking good at the hospital. It's hard to keep someone that hardcore down.
Wow that almost sounds unreal. Carma her way.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Holy f*ck. Thats insane. I saw her crash, looked like she landed hard on her head/shoulder. Best of luck to her getting better

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
That is bar-none the most insane DH-related thing I have ever read. I wish her a successful recovery and can't wait to bow down before this chick next time I see her on the mountain.

JerZ_r1der

Chimp
May 10, 2008
Vernon, NJ
Does anybody know anything about the second person who was airlifted off the course?

There were, unfortunately, a NUMBER of injuries today. Apparently the course was pretty gnarly... I know when I got to the heavily wooded/super rocky area (the place EVERYONE was standing), there was an AM who had been down for quite a while. And one of the Pro Men fell pretty hard and was calling for help, by the time I went to the bottom, EMS had just gotten up to put him on a backboard.

Any updates would be nice.

Thoughts & prayers go out to Hannah. Her crash sounds intense, and hopefully everything is fully okay.

x3mtnracerx3

Chimp
May 25, 2008
I spoke with Hannah a while ago, she's doing alright all things considered, she still has all feeling and came move her hands/fingers and feet/toes, although she's really bummed out.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Dave Trumpore got tossed hard and was apparently knocked out for a good while, and when coming to had no idea what was going on. Lee said he was discharged from the hospital with just a few stitches and is resting up at home.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Dave Trumpore got tossed hard and was apparently knocked out for a good while, and when coming to had no idea what was going on. Lee said he was discharged from the hospital with just a few stitches and is resting up at home.

true story... worst injury is what looks like a shark attack wound on my shin and calve... all the way into the muscle, hurts lots. 2 layers of stitches and then one more of staples... ouchie

hope hanna and sparky make it out of there soon they can start healing up as well

mistergold

Chimp
May 2, 2007
yeah wish her a good recovery, I talked to her during the week end before she crashed, I didn't even know it was her!
Hope to see her next year, I will probably back to the us open! I loved it!

ray from reunion island

pjnoto

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Hannah is in Morristown hospital. I was there last night and this morning and she is doing well. She is waiting on her mri right now and she just wants it over so she can eat! The thing shes bummed most about is the fact that she'll be off her bike for the next 12 weeks. I hope to pick her up today but we dont know if she will have to stay another night. Thanks guys

JerZ_r1der

Chimp
May 10, 2008
Vernon, NJ
illflip- that's the guy. that's so sad that he's not racing anymore. It's horrible sometimes to see people have to give up a hobby that they love so much.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone this past weekend who got hurt, whether they were hospitalized or not.

It's hard for you to be riding, having an AWESOME day, and then ride by someone who's down and hurt and needs the EMT to come up and get them off the mountain. I saw one guy who wasn't a racer who smashed his head pretty hard, was laying on the mountain with a bunch of guys helping him. But he was up there for a good 3 runs, turns out he was okay. But still. It can sometimes get into your head, and really affects the way you ride (at least it does for me). I know yesterday I was getting a little ahead of myself, and my bike made it known to me and decided to throw me over the bars, it sucked and I stepped down for the next run.

Glad to hear everyone is okay though, and my prayers for speedy recoveries! :]

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I got lucky this weekend, I fell on my broken hand but the bones didn't move. Sorry to hear that others weren't as lucky. Heal up fast, being out sucks.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
pretty tough weekend for injuries. Friend of mine lacerated his kidney on Friday and is still in the hospital down there. I saw that girl Hannah crash in the Toyota rock garden and I coudlnt believe she got up let alone got back on her bike. She looked really wobbly. Good to hear she will eventually be ok.
Another guy in the same section went HARD over the bars and smashed his hip and I heard he broken his pelvis. I no longer race as the fierce competition really isnt my thing..but I have huge respect for everyone who still goes out and risks alot of personal injury to throw down.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Hannah is in Morristown hospital. I was there last night and this morning and she is doing well. She is waiting on her mri right now and she just wants it over so she can eat! The thing shes bummed most about is the fact that she'll be off her bike for the next 12 weeks. I hope to pick her up today but we dont know if she will have to stay another night. Thanks guys
What a trooper. I hope here recovery goes smoothy. It really sucks to be out of riding for the summer for someone who wants to ride so much. We talked a lot since we raced each other in dual slamom. Hopefully she can work on the mental aspect of racing through visualation since it will be a bit tough of a return to riding. Healing vibes to her and all the other injuried,....including myself. It was a tough US Open this year.

pinpoint199

Chimp
Jan 29, 2007
Wow, i saw that crash happen. Keep in mind you are doing around 25mph to clear that gap a 20mph car crash is considered fatal. I hope for a quick recovery.

Im not sure about the total count but im pretty sure 5 people went to the hospital over the entire weekend 2 of which i believe were medivac.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
She rode with a broken neck off the Red Bull jump and THEN wrecked?!?!

Jesus... that could have ended in death or paralysis.

I didn't see the crash, but saw her down near the finish after the Red Bull jump. I saw Brian by the railing near Jamie's pit area so I asked him what was up. She was on the ground for quite a while. Pretty scary.

Hannah - get well soon, and take it easy. NO need to push yourself that hard - skills will come with time, just be patient.

:)

Last edited:

BROOKLYN1

Chimp
Jul 29, 2007
Just a heads up, Hannah raced Collegiate Nationals, her first race since breaking her freaking neck...and came in 4th!
Way to go crazy girl!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that videos really brutal. awesome shot though of Smith and Hill ;)
thanks

dave no joke the blood coming from under your shin guard looked like jello. Had that jello consistency to it.
i bet you felt like a dumbass calling him Lee for like 5 minutes. and were you the douche that was taking pictures of him when he was out, right before i almost knocked you out for doing so?

glad to hear that chick is doing well....she had some cajones to finish a race w/ a broken neck...

Last edited: