Quantcast

US Open shots of the day

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
people were getting destroyed on the bridge last week when it was wet.......i thought they would have made it safer, how much does chicken wire or grip tape cost....

I wonder how many of thoose wrecks are peoples first run down the course.....

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
oh, man i thought this was a tennis thread !:rolleyes: :rofl:

No seriously,those pics rock. Must have been with a regular camera i'm guessing; because my digital Fuji camera you have to anticipate the delay & usually get just the back wheel or nothing...
:cool:

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Does that wheel dying cause anyone to question the spoke head design of industry nine hubs or does the situation justify catastrophic failure? Maybe the rim eyelets quit. Lets e-speculate:oink: .

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
manwithgun said:
Does that wheel dying cause anyone to question the spoke head design of industry nine hubs or does the situation justify catastrophic failure? Maybe the rim eyelets quit. Lets e-speculate:oink: .
I was wondering the same thing....
It looks like the spokes sheared at the hoop's eyelets. I haven't seen a conventional wheel do this, but maybe the wheel would have folded w/ steel spokes? The other question is will the hub still be useable?

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I have spoken with the Morewood team manager about that wheel. Given the nature of that crash, any wheel would have folded. A steel spoked wheel probably would not have separated but still folded. Complete failure either way.
Given the fact that the Morewood team has some of the highest ranked male and female Norba DH pros, there have only been two (including the one pictured) complete failures in two racing seasons. I would say that would be on par with any wheelset. Just my .02

Oh and the hub is fine. They have re-built it onto another wheel and she's rollin'.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
los jefes said:
I have spoken with the Morewood team manager about that wheel. Given the nature of that crash, any wheel would have folded. A steel spoked wheel probably would not have separated but still folded. Complete failure either way.
Given the fact that the Morewood team has some of the highest ranked male and female Norba DH pros, there have only been two (including the one pictured) complete failures in two racing seasons. I would say that would be on par with any wheelset. Just my .02

Oh and the hub is fine. They have re-built it onto another wheel and she's rollin'.
a wheel should never blow up like that........

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
los jefes said:
Given the nature of that crash, any wheel would have folded. A steel spoked wheel probably would not have separated but still folded. Complete failure either way.
Interesting theory except for two things:

1 the wheel is failing before he crashes (look at the photos) and in fact wheel falure looks to be the cause of his crash.

2 there are three other riders on that same page of photos that hit the same spot at a similar speed and have the same outcome, except all of their wheels are fine.

......You would not happen to work for or be sponsored by I9 would you....?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
los jefes said:

COUGH.. bullsh1t.. COUGH

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
davep said:

1 the wheel is failing before he crashes (look at the photos) and in fact wheel falure looks to be the cause of his crash.

2 there are three other riders on that same page of photos that hit the same spot at a similar speed and have the same outcome, except all of their wheels are fine.

his wheel didn't explode before the bridge. The bridge was a sneaky whore.
The ground was really wet.
The bridge was a sneaky whore.
The wheel blew in the ditch.
The rider is Jonty Neetling and unlike his brother is an absolute MONSTER of a kid. He's fricking huge and easily around 220+ and he was RIPPING!!!
and no, I'm not an I-9 guy.

If that big ass dude had hit that ditch on a steel wheel, the rim would have folded easily. Just saying...not taking sides.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
syadasti said:
bizutch, do you know what rider this is? It isn't someone from the SE is it (wrong wheels for whom I'm guessing) :think:

http://www.afinishedproduct.exposuremanager.com/p/Carnage/p52655970
No, actually that is Miko from Canada. His nickname on here is Fury! He ate it VERY hard!!! His shoulder is jacked pretty good. I thought he had separated it when he first told me, but I took a look later and it's not visually jacked like most separations.
He was feeling better at days end, but not riding.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
That bridge reminds me of an ex girlfriend I had. Think its going to be a nice, smooth, mutually fufilling ride, and then she bucks you, kicks you in the nuts, takes your money, steals your car and anally violates your mother infront of you with a strap on while pouring sugar in your gas tank.

Good of Diablo to TCB with that...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I think i'd rather have the wheel fold, I would think it would be a "smoother" crash than having the forks dig into the ground like that.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Looking at the sequence of pics. It appears he washed out going over the bridge. Then his front tire hooked up when it came in contact with the dirt highsiding him over the bike. This would put a very high amount of stress on the wheel but I do not think it should have exploded like it did. This picture sequence makes me very leary of the I9 wheels.

Look at how many of the spokes are broken. I have seen broken nipples, nipples that have pulled through the rim and things of that sort from a broken wheel like this but not broken spokes. The only times I have seen spokes broken like this is from something getting put into the wheel(stick, derailluer). That did not happen here it looks like his spokes straight up failed.:eek: :dead:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
DHCorky said:
Looking at the sequence of pics. It appears he washed out going over the bridge. Then his front tire hooked up when it came in contact with the dirt highsiding him over the bike. This would put a very high amount of stress on the wheel but I do not think it should have exploded like it did. This picture sequence makes me very leary of the I9 wheels.

Look at how many of the spokes are broken. I have seen broken nipples, nipples that have pulled through the rim and things of that sort from a broken wheel like this but not broken spokes. The only times I have seen spokes broken like this is from something getting put into the wheel(stick, derailluer). That did not happen here it looks like his spokes straight up failed.:eek: :dead:
:stupid: I think I'll put my money elsewhere. As in not buy I9 ever.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
DHCorky said:

Exactly my point! I dont care who he is or how big he is, a wheel should not do that. That wheel got side loaded (no ditch involved) when it got traction after the bridge and it had a catastrophic failure, leading to a crash. Check the first photo when he is over the bridge, #5265554 His back wheel is sliding and he is foreward but he could make it out, but check out the wheel, it is gone! Check the next photo, he fel because his fork lowers stuck into the ground.

Aluminum has a much lower elastic modulus and much more affected by fatigue than steel. = bad choice for spoke material!

HeyLady

Monkey
Apr 13, 2006
Concord, CA
davep said:

im the second photo and my wheel did FOLD...standard laced wheel and i had to hit it back into place...jonty is a bit bigger than me and slid out more sideways...im sure my wheel would have done the same thing... so all nay sayers should get off a message board and ride ur bikes.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
HeyLady said:
im the second photo and my wheel did FOLD...standard laced wheel and i had to hit it back into place...jonty is a bit bigger than me and slid out more sideways...im sure my wheel would have done the same thing... so all nay sayers should get off a message board and ride ur bikes.
I am not sure what you are trying to say as your grammer/spelling is awful(maybe you should get off the bike and attend school), but no one else on that page had a wheel disintegrate. Do some research about metals and bicycle wheels (try 'The bicycle wheel' by Jobst brandt for starters) and you might understand why aluminum is not a good material for spokes.