Quantcast

US Open shots of the day

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
bizutch said:
No, actually that is Miko from Canada. His nickname on here is Fury! He ate it VERY hard!!! His shoulder is jacked pretty good. I thought he had separated it when he first told me, but I took a look later and it's not visually jacked like most separations.
He was feeling better at days end, but not riding.
Yeah, thats me trying to bury my head in the ground. My neck was fine but my shoulder, thigh, and head definitely took the impact. I don't think my shoulder is separated but it's definitely pretty tweaked, as Butch mentioned. That crash happened on my first run of the weekend on Friday during practice. I didn't know the bridge was there and by the time I saw it it was already too late.

I didn't ride the rest of the day on Friday or Saturday but on Sunday I got back on the bike for a half day. I rode very conservatively on Sunday as I didn't want to risk a crash but I'm really glad I got out to hit some of the fine trails Diablo has to offer! Good to meet you Butch, too bad we didn't get to do some runs together - next time!

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Fury said:
Yeah, thats me trying to bury my head in the ground. My neck was fine but my shoulder, thigh, and head definitely took the impact. I don't think my shoulder is separated but it's definitely pretty tweaked, as Butch mentioned. That crash happened on my first run of the weekend on Friday during practice. I didn't know the bridge was there and by the time I saw it it was already too late.

I didn't ride the rest of the day on Friday or Saturday but on Sunday I got back on the bike for a half day. I rode very conservatively on Sunday as I didn't want to risk a crash but I'm really glad I got out to hit some of the fine trails Diablo has to offer! Good to meet you Butch, too bad we didn't get to do some runs together - next time!
oh bro, i took the lift up with you yesterday...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
HeyLady said:
im the second photo and my wheel did FOLD...standard laced wheel and i had to hit it back into place...jonty is a bit bigger than me and slid out more sideways...im sure my wheel would have done the same thing... so all nay sayers should get off a message board and ride ur bikes.
That is exactly right. Fury and anybody else who was there can tell you. That ditch was a whore! His wheel DID blow up on impact with the exit face because it was brick wall!

And not a damn one of you typers could get up to the speed that big fokker was hitting. The lady just told you she folded a standard wheel in the exact same spot. What makes you think a 225lb World Cup pro going at full tilt punching a ditch is NOT going to blow up a wheel?
Zutroy said:
I think i'd rather have the wheel fold, I would think it would be a "smoother" crash than having the forks dig into the ground like that
That's a lame "concept". Care to test both type wheels in that ditch to see which one you walk away from more gracefully?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
bizutch said:
That is exactly right. Fury and anybody else who was there can tell you. That ditch was a whore! His wheel DID blow up on impact with the exit face because it was brick wall!

And not a damn one of you typers could get up to the speed that big fokker was hitting. The lady just told you she folded a standard wheel in the exact same spot. What makes you think a 225lb World Cup pro going at full tilt punching a ditch is NOT going to blow up a wheel?

That's a lame "concept". Care to test both type wheels in that ditch to see which one you walk away from more gracefully?
thank you. that corner was suuuuuper high speed and you would have to drift it to even think about making it. apparently jonty and mikey didnt quite make it which does not suprise me in one bit.

honestly any wheel would explode on an impact like that

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

I thought this was the photo of the day. We were laugning so hard at this guy.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Okay,
I think it's apparent that the crash was the cause of the wheel failure, not the other way around. He was going to go down before the wheel was visibly failing. He started to highside, and that's what caused his wheel to fail. I can't imagine that a 220lb rider having a Rhynolite for a rim helped either. I'm 180 and I won't ride those things casually let alone on a DH course (though I don't know what Diablo is like).
So obviously there is something wrong with the materials that connect the rim to the hub, either the eyelets or the spokes themselves, in order for a wheel to fail like that. Since the failure looks to be nearer the hub, I'm guessing it's the spokes, maybe the way they interface with the hub. Sure, other wheels could have failed too, but I bet if you had 14G spokes lacing up a EX729 or DHX, it wouldn't have failed like that, maybe not at all.
I am also surprised that a fast 220lb rider would try to save weight on such a crucial component as a wheel, but then again, there may be variables that I'm not aware of.
I think the crash was probably worse because the fork augered into the ground, but even the riders who didn't suffer the same disintegrtation fate still probably hit the ground pretty hard. I wonder if the brake/rotor was okay?
I forgot to say something about how much flex and tension spokes undergo while riding, and that a metal such as aluminum fatigues easily, and as such is a terrible material for such an application.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
hah that bridge was brutal, it got me too and i was barly turning on it. i guess the same thing was hapening the weekend before at the dominion race but they didnt even bother to put chicken wire on it or anything.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FYI: Talked to Tom and that wheel was a prototype. It was a proto an the wheel was built up using the lighter, smaller guage XC spokes from I-9 instead of the much thicker, stouter DH spokeset. He gave me the dimensions of the spokes, but I didn't geek the tech. The wheel you see blowing up is not production and was strictly pro issue, test model only.