Quantcast

US OPEN -vs- Fort William!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
chillindrdude said:
i guess...Sam Hill, Nathan rennie, Mick Hannah, Chris Kovarik, David K, Chris Vandine, Curtis Keene, et al. are all in breach of their contract! :eek:
Pay attention here, this may be hard for you to understand. Last year the Us open did not conflict with any major world cup date.
:rolleyes:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's too bad that the two races conflict; however, there won't be a shortage of riders or fans at either race. While there may be less "international" riders at the U.S. Open, there will still be a ton a talented pros and ams out there taking care of business. We have no shortage of talented American riders: Riffle, Houseman, Warren, David K. to mention a few.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm from the westcoast), isn't Iron Horse the offical bike sponsor of Diablo? I would think that they would send some of their riders to the US Open...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blt2ride said:
It's too bad that the two races conflict; however, there won't be a shortage of riders or fans at either race. While there may be less "international" riders at the U.S. Open, there will still be a ton a talented pros and ams out there taking care of business. We have no shortage of talented American riders: Riffle, Houseman, Warren, David K. to mention a few.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm from the westcoast), isn't Iron Horse the offical bike sponsor of Diablo? I would think that they would send some of their riders to the US Open...
I agree, the place will still be packed as it is the best race in north america. It is hard to disagree tho that international pros attending means more prestige for a somewhat new event.

I really wanted to hit both ft bill and the open. It will be hard for media outlets to make decisions (as well as photogs).

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
This will hopefully be the last time i feel the need to post anything in this thread:
Diablo would definatly like a more international crowd at the US Open, but it does not make sense for them to change the date. They have used the same date for the last two years and memorial day weekend makes it easy for privateers and the majority of the riders to travel to the event. Hopefully there wont be a conflict next year.

It basically seems like the UCI is trying to take a stab at the US Open, im SURE they know about the event and diablo sent out the press release about a month before the UCI released their schedule to the public.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DS Dom said:
It basically seems like the UCI is trying to take a stab at the US Open, im SURE they know about the event and diablo sent out the press release about a month before the UCI released their schedule to the public.
Are you kidding me? That would mean they were organized and had a clue about racing outside of Europe..c'mon Dom, you know better. :D

I agree about the date - the long weekend is GREAT for privateers.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Transcend said:
Are you kidding me? That would mean they were organized and had a clue about racing outside of Europe..c'mon Dom, you know better. :D

I agree about the date - the long weekend is GREAT for privateers.

Only reason im posting again is because i know they know something about diablo since diablo has received info about uci bids and such...

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Didn't I read earlyer in the post that the UCI WC schedual might change a bunch before its final? When spring time rolls around I doubt there will still be a conflict.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
vtminuteman said:
Didn't I read earlyer in the post that the UCI WC schedual might change a bunch before its final? When spring time rolls around I doubt there will still be a conflict.
the Fort William date won't change, its a solid event with real planning.........other dates maybe....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cant Climb said:
the Fort William date won't change, its a solid event with real planning.........other dates maybe....
cause you're in the "know"...

But honestly, from a planning perspective of US Pro teams, it would have worked wonders for them cost-wise to setup up shop at the US Open and have a CHEAP direct flight ONE WAY out of either Newark or NYC Monday morning to Ft. Bill. That would have gotten all their equipment, employees and riders a really efficient movement overseas.
We'll see. All I can say is that my wife has already circled the date on her calender b/c she has no intentions of letting me miss the US Open for a 3rd year. :thumb:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
bizutch said:

But honestly, from a planning perspective of US Pro teams, it would have worked wonders for them cost-wise to setup up shop at the US Open and have a CHEAP direct flight ONE WAY out of either Newark or NYC Monday morning to Ft. Bill. That would have gotten all their equipment, employees and riders a really efficient movement overseas.
We'll see. All I can say is that my wife has already circled the date on her calender b/c she has no intentions of letting me miss the US Open for a 3rd year. :thumb:
Ft. William is the showcase event on the UCI calender......thats is my deep reasoning why it won't change. Makes sense though......

I just hope for the love of all good things DH they build a new course........use the new section of mountain they opened this year.
The dirt is like coffee grinds over there....

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The new section of the course is being used. They pulled the plug on it due to it being too soft this year. It will be fully ridden in by next year.

bizutch said:
CHEAP direct flight ONE WAY out of either Newark or NYC Monday morning to Ft. Bill. :thumb:
HAHA I know what you mean but a direct flight to fort bill made me laugh!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
klunky said:
The new section of the course is being used. They pulled the plug on it due to it being too soft this year. It will be fully ridden in by next year.

HAHA I know what you mean but a direct flight to fort bill made me laugh!
then I'll rephrase...direct flight out of NYC to England... :eviltongu

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
bizutch said:
then I'll rephrase...direct flight out of NYC to England... :eviltongu

HAHA touche :( unfortunatly I think thats the only way a direct flight would be possible.
The closest airports are inverness (looks like the airport at the end of con air but with rain and nessie) Aberdeen airport (just about the same but has an arcade including pong and miss pac man) Aberdeen might be getting direct flights to texas soon........ yay

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...well - having gone back to college, I have neither the funds for a flight to Ft. Bill w/ my girlfriend, or a Trico Case...

Plus I'm from North Jersey sooooo:

2004 U.S. Open - check
2005 U.S. Open - check
2006 U.S. Open............... I'm ON the muthaf@cka.
:D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
klunky said:
HAHA touche :( unfortunatly I think thats the only way a direct flight would be possible.
The closest airports are inverness (looks like the airport at the end of con air but with rain and nessie) Aberdeen airport (just about the same but has an arcade including pong and miss pac man) Aberdeen might be getting direct flights to texas soon........ yay
LMAO, pong and miss pacman.

the times i've been to aberdeen i've always flown into edinburgh.