Quantcast

US OPEN -vs- Fort William!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Brady(via FOOL) :devil: just posted the World Cup schedule on his site www.hcor.net. Looks like the UCI wants it to be their show and nothing else.

I assume Diablo will be pissed to say the least. I'll let the rest of you post the possible repercussions!

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
dante said:
looks like a high-stakes game of chicken between Diablo and UCI. bet UCI blinks first, it's foolish of them to mess with the powerhouse that is the US Open...

:D

Well I can say one thing for sure.. the US Open isnt gonna change its date.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cant Climb said:
would it be bad if US racer won it for a change......?...
Well, that would mean that it didn't attract the top racers in the world :p

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Inclag said:
Well, that would mean that it didn't attract the top racers in the world :p
American racers have been improving the last 2 seasons.......getting them some prize money early in the year could do alot for their season....

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
It really comes down to the companies rather than the riders. I'm sure 99% of the riders would rather race the US Open but the companies would rather go for the exposure...especially in Europe (for Euro companies) and that would most likely mean World Cup.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ricebowls said:
It really comes down to the companies rather than the riders. I'm sure 99% of the riders would rather race the US Open but the companies would rather go for the exposure...especially in Europe (for Euro companies) and that would most likely mean World Cup.
Ft William had 50,000 specatators this year.....thats a little bit of exposure and excitement over there.......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cant Climb said:
Ft William had 50,000 specatators this year.....thats a little bit of exposure and excitement over there.......
That is insane. 50,000. I forget how crazy for the sport they are over there.

I hope the dates stay.
That way maybe I can qualify next year. ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The UCI won't change it's date due to conflict. It would be very wise of the US open guys to do so..otherwise they will lose MANY athletes to ft bill.

After having been there last year, I would say it is the most popular and exciting UCI Dh event by far (including ste anne, worlds etc etc).

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I dont think it will matter...US OPEN will still do fine, and Ft. Bill will go off as usual. Would be cool to have them on diff. weekends, but seems US OPEN has not attracted the WC field just yet, and the guy that have gone US OPEN in the past will still do it as they can not afford to goto europe.
So what I am saying is, this kinda sucks, but its all good. Years ago when the NCS races were off the hook, the UCI put some world cups on same weekends, it almost helped in a way because it generated some buzz, people talking about who is going where, mags trying to cover both races etc...this could work out to be a good thing.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Not to mention some no-name (no offense to any no-names) will have a strong chance to go home with five thousand dollars.

Let me say that again: Five. Thousand. Dollars.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Fool said:
Not to mention some no-name (no offense to any no-names) will have a strong chance to go home with five thousand dollars.

Let me say that again: Five. Thousand. Dollars.
I dont know if I would go that far. This list is all the riders from the top 20 that went to ANY world cups. As you can tell, only ONE of them went to every single world cup last year. Im not sure if it was injury that kept them all away or if it was other reasons (the only one i know was injury for sure was sam)

Sam Hill
missed 4 (injury)​
Nathan rennie
missed 1​
Mick Hannah
missed 2​
Justin Havukainen
missed 0​
Chris Kovarik
missed 2​
David K
only went to 1​
John Kirkcaldie
missed 6​
Geritt Byetagh
only went to 1​
Duncan Riffle
only went to 2​
Rich Houseman
only went to 2​
Chris Vandine
only went to 2​
Andrew Neethling
missed 2​
Henry O Donnell
only went to 3​
Curtis Keene
only went to 1​

For those of you saying that the US Open should change the date, you should think about it in the sense that out of close to 400 racers only a handfull are actually commited to the world cups, to the other 395 racers, its the perfect long day weekend that allows people to travel a bit further to race than usual, and still make it back to work on time.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ah I didn't know that it was a long weekend. That makes sense, just nice to attract the biggest names in the business you know? Makes it an even more prestigious event.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Transcend said:
Ah I didn't know that it was a long weekend. That makes sense, just nice to attract the biggest names in the business you know? Makes it an even more prestigious event.
Trust me, thats exactly what we WANT. It just doenst make sense for us to change our weekend and risk loosing a greater % of the 400 riders. It will STILL be a prestigious event, im guessing we will only loose a few of the austrailian guys and not to much more. I would be suprised if the turnout was smaller next year than it was this year.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
mtbpaint1 said:
UCI also has the 4X/DS crowd/racers but then again the US Open is put on by NCS which is always good. We know UCI won't change their dates, and Diablo's to cool to reschedule...should be exciting
The US Open is put on by the NCS?? I dont know what the NCS is but the US Open is put on by Diablo Freeride Park which is independantly owned by Terralogic Industries aka 1 guy. Diablo is not 'to cool' to reschedule, it doesnt make sense to reschedule, I can guarantee that maybe 1% of the guys responding to any messages regarding this could even race at a world cup, so why does it matter to you? In the past, norba nationals have been on the same weekends as world cups...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
there might even more pros coming to the Open if the top top riders like Hill will be at FtwIll. you know there have to be many-a pros women at home sayin "boy you betta get out there and make that money"

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
DS Dom said:
Trust me, thats exactly what we WANT. It just doenst make sense for us to change our weekend and risk loosing a greater % of the 400 riders. It will STILL be a prestigious event, im guessing we will only loose a few of the austrailian guys and not to much more. I would be suprised if the turnout was smaller next year than it was this year.
Hey Dom-

To me, it just seems like Diablo is right on the verge of going REALLY big-time with this, and it makes a lot of sense to swallow your pride a little and concede to the almighty UCI just this once, as much as that may suck. I mean, the Open gets tons of U.S. media coverage and attention from riders who have historically raced in the U.S., but how many Europeans know anything about it? Juggle the date a bit so that the Euro teams can attend, and you know the Euro media will follow. Speaking from experience, taking a product that is really well-known regionally and making some concessions so that it's really well-known internationally makes a HUGE difference in your bottom line down the road.

When you also consider the amount of money to be made off pit space fees (I'm constantly reminded each time I cut a check for the Bang Bus to setup somewhere), it further strengthens the argument. As I recall, a chunk of the prize money last year came from pit fees, so think of the snowball effect you could have if you were able to even increase the payout over $5K: more money means more teams/pits which means more money which means more teams/pits, etc.

The weekend just before Ste. Anne seems like a perfect date. There are no other major commitments on the UCI calendar that weekend, and I'm guessing that a ton of WC pro teams would be happy to come to the States a week earlier for a shot at that cash and maybe a day or two in NYC.

Tell Shawn to give me a buzz if he has time. I really see a lot of parallels between where Diablo is now and where we were a couple years back - that is, having an innovative product that could really go off with the right exposure - and I'd love to help out in any way that I could.

Later,

JP
P.S. See what you can do to arrange a DDT flyover on the week before the event to erradicate those goddam inchworms. :)

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
John P. said:
P.S. See what you can do to arrange a DDT flyover on the week before the event to erradicate those goddam inchworms. :)
hahaha

John, you make a great point and I too also hope that Shawn can figure something out to make this event truly blow up, it's most definitely on the verge of being one of if not the biggest event in DH without a doubt.

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
And as far as moving it to the weekend before ste. anne. i believe the water park is open then? THat means no big mt bike race whatsoever

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Yeah, it would be good to see the US Open resheduled to the week before MSA. Don't know much about it over here in Euro-land, but I'd definately be up for it if I manage to enter the Mt.St.Anne WC this next year.
The Pro turnout would be HUGE as John P. said with extra Euro teams and all the Privateer racers who would want to make a big roadtrip out of it and MSA.
Swallow some pride and reap the rewards!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i may sound stupid but its my opinion and im sticking with it. i think that as long as the us open is run the way its been in years past there will always be a huge turnout for it. plus its called the us open so who cares if all those racers from europe dont show up. there will always be great riders at the open so i say leave the date how it is.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
TrueScotsman said:
Yeah, it would be good to see the US Open resheduled to the week before MSA. Don't know much about it over here in Euro-land, but I'd definately be up for it if I manage to enter the Mt.St.Anne WC this next year.
The Pro turnout would be HUGE as John P. said with extra Euro teams and all the Privateer racers who would want to make a big roadtrip out of it and MSA.
Swallow some pride and reap the rewards!
There is a lot more involved than 'swallowing some pride.' Im sure you have never been to Diablo freeride park and dont really know how it works but Memorial Day weekend is the LAST weekend before Mountain Creeks water park opens up for the season. When the water park is open it is NOT an ideal situation for running an event as large as the US Open. I actually dont even know if it would be possible due to legal constraints with the waterpark. For those of you that dont know, Diablo Freeride park is Independantly owened and operated by Terralogic Industries and leases access from Intrawest (mountain creeks parent company). This does not allow Diablo to simply do whatever they please. Running Diablo Domination series races while the water park is open is already a problem and thats about 1/10th the scale of the US Open. If the race was the weekend before MSA i dont even know if Diablo would be able to provide ANY pit space for teams or technical support. Take my word on this, you dont want all the people from the waterpark around all your riding stuff all weekend, things would be missing for sure.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
DS Dom said:
pTake my word on this, you dont want all the people from the waterpark around all your riding stuff all weekend, things would be missing for sure.

hahahaha.... good choice of words, and very well put (it is sad but true)