Quantcast

USA Olympic MTB Team Article

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't get to follow MTB as much as I'd like since the coverage is so poor, but how is Allison Dunlap NOT on the team? Isn't she the best in the world (or at least one of the top few)?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Sounds like USA Cycling dropped the ball.

Because the USA didn't place in the top three at the world championships, however, it didn't earn a second Olympic spot. Under rules introduced last year, nations had to qualify for the additional spot based on 2003 UCI points.

Back in Colorado Springs, USA Cycling, which was going through a series of staff changes, did not send riders out on the UCI European circuit to pick up qualifying points. Instead, riders stayed home and competed in national races, which offered fewer UCI points. By the time USA Cycling became aware of the new rules, it was too late.

"The rest of the world is laughing at us," says Dunlap, who was also 2002 World Cup overall champion. "Nobody in the national office had any interest in mountain biking for the last four years, and now we're paying for it."

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
This issue is incredibly sad. I tend to think Allison has more experience and a better chance at winning in the Olympics, I can't deny that Mary and Sue definetely deserve to go as well. They have both proven they can win races. I'll be extremely bummed if Allison doesn't get to go. :(

It seems almost every race in Europe is E1 and gets UCI points, while our races here in the states suck. :(

GO USA

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by Heidi
I can't deny that Mary and Sue definetely deserve to go as well. They have both proven they can win races.
Mary and Sue kick butt here on the NORBA circuit, but the whole World Cup thing is a whole different ball game. Neither of them has done very well on the World Cup circuit, but Allison has done well. That alone should speak for itself, IMO.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Andyman_1970
Mary and Sue kick butt here on the NORBA circuit, but the whole World Cup thing is a whole different ball game. Neither of them has done very well on the World Cup circuit, but Allison has done well. That alone should speak for itself, IMO.
Oh, I agree - check it:

Allison:

8th World Cup Madrid

12th - World Cup #1 XC, St. Wendel, GER
17th - World Cup #2 XC, Fort Williams, GBR

2nd - World Cup, XC, Madrid, ESP
4th - World Cup, XC, Houffalize, BEL
3rd - World Cup, XC, Mt. Ste. Anne, Quebec
2nd - World Cup, XC, Vancouver, BC

Mary:

14th - UCI World Cup, Madrid

13th - UCI World Cup, XC, CAN
15th - UCI World Cup, XC, AUT
11th - UCI World Cup, XC, GBR

8th - UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, XC, FRA
25th - UCI World Championships, XC, AUT

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Its not going to be the first or the last time a better athlete is left behind, it usually happens in Greek Olympic teams , having said that, we are non-existent in cycling (in any discipline) so i dont really care. Anyhow, i want to wish good luck to AD or any other American athletes in our games, i am really looking forward to seeing them in Athens, more importantly though i would like to see some monkeys. ;)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by math2014
Its not going to be the first or the last time a better athlete is left behind, it usually happens in Greek Olympic teams , having said that, we are non-existent in cycling (in any discipline) so i dont really care. Anyhow, i want to wish good luck to AD or any other American athletes in our games, i am really looking forward to seeing them in Athens, more importantly though i would like to see some monkeys. ;)
Holy crap - you should try out for the Olympic team there then!

Will you be able to go to the race?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well i ll be in Athens for the games, although i ll try to avoid them... It may sound strange but Athens will become a hostile place for normal Athenians, since everything will be modified in order to support tourists/visitors. No problems with that, we should do the best we can to help people that honored us with their visit, but as an Athenian, i ll escape to my country house.

I can visit the race track, but i dont think that i ll endure a bus ride for 2hrs in order to watch XC. If it was DH/4X then i would be there by now.... walking... :D:D:D

As for beeing on the team, well things dont work like that in Greece, you have to know someone in order to get in, no matter how good you are, (not that i am good, or even an athlete anymore).

Yannis

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I can visit the race track, but i dont think that i ll endure a bus ride for 2hrs in order to watch XC. If it was DH/4X then i would be there by now.... walking... :D:D:D

:thumb: Got it. I wish I could go watch it live.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It may sound strange but Athens will become a hostile place for normal Athenians, since everything will be modified in order to support tourists/visitors.
Thats the way it was in Salt Lake during the 2002 Olympics, everything for us was supplanted in favor of visitors. Kinda sucked, but it was way awesome for the 2 weeks it was here, I got to go to a couple events.