Quantcast

USA up 2-0 on Brazil in the first half.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Incredible game with Howard on top form yet again. US has 2 goals on 3 shots.

CRAZY!!!!!!!!

ESPN right now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man, US needs to work on possession. Played well in the first half, but they need to work on keeping the ball.

Congrats to both teams, though. Not bad for a first final.

<edit> Tim Howard wins Golden Glove, Dempsey wins Bronze Ball awards.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I think they riled Brazil up, and tried to hang on the 2 goal lead without being aggressive enough. Like it or not, we are still a novelty on the interntional soccer scene...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's a start, though. A win against Spain and 2 goals on Brazil in the finals is a serious result. Of course we have a long way to go, but it's a step in the right direction.

As much good as Landon does for MLS, he needs to play in Europe.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Landon tried to play in the Bundesliega...Bayern Munchen I beleive, but left because he wasnt getting enough time. They tried sending him to Kaiserslautern, but he vetoed the deal. I dont think he the cojones to play in Europe regularly.
A 2-0 lead after 27 minutes...a lot of game left after that. You have to continue to attack...

And yeah, people are starting to take notice of the US, lets hope the trend continues.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think MLS has a $10M buy out on him too, and (no offense) he aint worth $10M. He is the future, tough. If our scrubs get a decent showing in the Gold Cup and we get a good draw for Worlds, I think we might make it out of group play this time.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I agree on him. He is one of our best ever, but I am thinking his time is over. I am still hoping out for Freddy Adu to explode on the international scene. It seems like he has been around forever, but he is only 20...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hate to be a spoiler, but the US is probably not going to get out of the group stage again.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hate to be a spoiler, but the US is probably not going to get out of the group stage again.
The win against Spain wasn't a fluke, it was proof that if they play to full potential, they have the talent and skill to play at that level. If we get a good group, we shouldn't have too much issue getting out of the group stage.

I think the Gold Cup will be key because our starters are solid, but we need some solid bench players, too.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The win against Spain wasn't a fluke, it was proof that if they play to full potential, they have the talent and skill to play at that level. If we get a good group, we shouldn't have too much issue getting out of the group stage.

I think the Gold Cup will be key because our starters are solid, but we need some solid bench players, too.
I don't doubt that they played well against Spain and have great talent and potential. But, when it comes down to it, the World Cup is all that matters. You see similar quality in lots of teams around the globe, but when it comes to world cup time, it's put up or shut up. Will be an interesting WC.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
WC success, IMHO, comes down to depth, and a hot keeper. When you look at other countries (Like Brasil and Spain...) and see elite clubs starters riding the bench, at ours and see MLS starters throughout the line up...it just doesnt compare. Howard needs to continue his outstanding play, and they need to keep up the momentum...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
WC success, IMHO, comes down to depth, and a hot keeper. When you look at other countries (Like Brasil and Spain...) and see elite clubs starters riding the bench, at ours and see MLS starters throughout the line up...it just doesnt compare. Howard needs to continue his outstanding play, and they need to keep up the momentum...
And that's why I think the Gold Cup will be key because we will get a chance to see what we have riding pine. As you said, all the major players have at least 18 starters on the squad. At any time, 2 guys could come off the bench and make immediate impact.

Unfortunately my doctor said no more soccer, so the US team will have to find someone else.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Depth & a hot keeper... that's an interesting take... might just be. Looking back though, it doesn't necessarily explain the performances though. WC, anything can happen I guess.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I wonder, BR shots on goal = 24 US shots on Goal = 8 the Spainmatch was 29 to 9.
Howard has an off day it's over for the US, unless they can show some more offense and keep the ball.

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I think I died a little when US went from being up to tanking it in the end. Can't say that they played bad but it looked like they were slowing down towards the end.