'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
USA World Champs Team Selection
Here are the Gravity Choices with full PR below

Elite Men Downhill

Aaron Gwin (Morongo Valley, Calif./Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team)**

Luke Strobel (Issaquah, Wash./Evil Bikes)

Kyle Strait (Huntington Beach, Calif.)

Logan Binggeli (Saint George, Utah/KHS Bicycles)

Tyler Immer (Rancho Murieta, Calif.)

Brad Benedict (Auburn/Specialized)

Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif./Giant)

Elite Women Downhill

Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Transition Racing) **

Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz./KHS Bicycles)

Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz./KHS Bicycles)

Leigh Donovan (Murietta, Calif./Intense Cycles)

Junior Men Downhill

Sam Powers (Lyons, Colo./Redstone Cyclery)**

Bryson Martin (Stevenson Ranch, Oakley)**

Neko Mulally (Reading, Pa./Trek World Racing)

Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah)

Nate Furbee (Los Osos, Calif.)

Evan Powell (Boulder, Colo./Yeti Fox)

Trevor Trinkino (Evergreen, Colo./Yeti RPM)

Junior Women Downhill

Kelsey Anderson (Novato, Calif.)

Men Four-Cross

Ross Milan (Arvada, Colo./Yeti-Cycles)**

Barry Nobles (Wetumpka, Ala.)

Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah)

Blake Carney (Camarillo, Calif.)

Women Four-Cross

Neven Steinmetz (Boulder, Colo./Ellsworth Bikes)**

** denotes automatic nomination

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I was hoping to see Sylvestry up there, but wither way, the team is sick. Good luck USA!

Between Neko and Mitch, our Jr team is going to be a force to be reckoned with!

-KT

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
How does it work for guys that are going to race Worlds from America that aren't on that list?

Are they just not considered Team USA?
They are still required by UCI to have the American flag on their helmet, jersey and I believe he mentioned bike so it seems they would be racing under the US colors.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So is that a list of riders who are confirmed to attend or just the invite list?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So is that a list of riders who are confirmed to attend or just the invite list?
If on that list, you have been named to the USA worlds team, it is up to you to get there. Stoked they picked my wife for the pro womens, her last world championships was in 2001...been a long time.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If on that list, you have been named to the USA worlds team, it is up to you to get there. Stoked they picked my wife for the pro womens, her last world championships was in 2001...been a long time.
So those on the list still have the option to decline for financial reasons if they choose and open another slot?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The riders petition to be selected. If you do not petition you cannot be selected. The selected riders are given a few days to confirm their attendence. Then the final list is submitted to the UCI.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
How does it work for guys that are going to race Worlds from America that aren't on that list?

Are they just not considered Team USA?
They are still required by UCI to have the American flag on their helmet, jersey and I believe he mentioned bike so it seems they would be racing under the US colors.

I think you might be confusing masters world champs with elite world champs

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So those on the list still have the option to decline for financial reasons if they choose and open another slot?
Yeah, and some have to do that as well.
Sometimes even at the last minute.
I watched one guy totally sweat it out, and was able to go by winning a local race series and grabbing the cash. Depending on location, it can be an expensive trip.
Then again for some it can be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and they are willing to go into debt to make it happen.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wow...Gravity East leaders got the diss on that one. I know Riffle is fast and all and Strait, but what have either done internationally this year?

Those two need to be booted from the Worlds team and let a ripper or two from the East go.
That list reads like a big fook yu letter to the Eastern US.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Wow...Gravity East leaders got the diss on that one. I know Riffle is fast and all and Strait, but what have either done internationally this year?

Those two need to be booted from the Worlds team and let a ripper or two from the East go.
I agree, but if they didn't petition then they can't get a chance to get on the list.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

I heard from USAC that it was an all time low for petitioning to get on the team. So perhaps no east coasters applied?

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East

Did they petition?? Gravity East is not really that big of a deal to be honest. What did they do and the US Championships?? How about against WC riders at the Pro GRT at Plattekill???

Riffle, like him or not has proven to be one of the top US riders, he consistently qualifies at WC races.

Gravity East Pro's are fast, but are they doing anything to get their name on that list??

Just questions, I am assuming you are talking about Betagh, he is fast and has proven to be a name worth considering, but GES races are not going to do that.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think it's because the Mt. Ste Anne course is fast, dry and wide open. There aren't any slow, wet or technical parts which East Coast riders clearly excel at so they would be at a disadvantage.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I would say this would be a great time for Gerrit B to shine being it’s on the East Coast and he does so well here. I know he hasn’t done to well at WC’s in the past, but on home truff he should do very well. He has been down in the dumps due to the lack of support a US National Champ gets these days unless you were already on a big team before you get the title. He should be on the US Team…. I am very surprised he wasn’t asked by USC. What a shame….

My vote would have been for him over 2 of the other riders.....

Cecil