Quantcast

USA Worlds Team Selection

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
11. Beneke
17. Rude
19. Beytagh
Are you arguing for east coast, against, or just correcting him?

3/20 seems like pretty pitiful results, especially with nobody in the top 10.

Basically, the lesson everybody should take away from this isn't "east coast riders are slow" or blahblahblah.

It is simply this: this year, west coast riders are riding faster, and deserve to go more. Next year, east coast riders need to bring it and ride faster.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Any thoughts as to why East Coast has the terrain, but not the results at bigger events other than Neko or Gerrit?
My guess would be the number of Elite level racers. At any race if your standing on the sidelines, you watch the fast guys and try to copy them. It shows you that it IS possible to go that fast, hit that line you've never seen before, double things that don't look possible etc. Having an elite level of talent helps the rest of the field get faster. (not to take anything away from the fast EC guys, but the WC riders from the US are from the west)

In the NW here, everyone is chasing Strobel (or Bryn, who seems to spend about 75% of his year here), Cali has Riffle, and whoever is visiting all of the companies that are down there (Kovarik, Matti, Rando, are all regulars on that race scene) Colorado has had Gwin and the Yeti entourage over the years at numerous MSC races.

The East Coast needs a competitive world cup racer to "Set the bar." Once Neko is healed up and gets the overseas experience I have a feeling he will be that guy and with that will bring up the level of the rest of the racers in the area. Plus some good competition between him and Richie will push the bar high for the EC.

The US has a bright future in the DH scene, we just need to give it time and the support it needs to really become the powerhouse we were in the 90's

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
youre right the EC guys suck :think:
That wasn't meant as a diss to anyone (as stated earlier). There are numerous fast EC guys. I was purely analyzing the results from the races and gave my assumed reasoning for those results. The "pitiful" phrase was someone elses statement.

-KT

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
sorry, I wasn't trying to make anybody butt hurt, I was just starting beef :D

there are plenty of fast guys on the east coast, but they need to be faster and put up better results next year to deserve to be on the champs team. I'm sure it'll happen, this year geography (longer distance) and geology (not normal riding conditions) didn't play to their advantage.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe because it doesn't have the terrain? Don't take my word for it, ask any geologist. EC mountains are small, old, and flat compared to the rockies and west coast ranges. Top that off with hero dirt and purpose built, groomed resort DH trails and the EC riders dont't face anywhere near the physical or technical challenge that CO, UT or west coast guys do. Its not some conspiracy as to why there's never been many (any?) successful EC WC riders.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
west coast racers go faster because they ride at a higher elevation. there's less air up there to cause drag. :D
That's those damn Colorado kids! The west coast is sea level too!

The best explanation I've heard for why Gwin is fast is that he is a ginger and gingers don't have souls to weigh them down.

-KT

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Maybe because it doesn't have the terrain? Don't take my word for it, ask any geologist. EC mountains are small, old, and flat compared to the rockies and west coast ranges. Top that off with hero dirt and purpose built, groomed resort DH trails and the EC riders dont't face anywhere near the physical or technical challenge that CO, UT or west coast guys do. Its not some conspiracy as to why there's never been many (any?) successful EC WC riders.
Not that I actually want to wade into this arguement, but that's somewhat flawed when you consider the size of the mountains in (Old) England!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Not that I actually want to wade into this arguement, but that's somewhat flawed when you consider the size of the mountains in (Old) England!
Ya I've often pondered that. I think the awful weather might help. The mountains may suck, but your race tracks always look pretty legit somehow, plus the culture of biking is a bit stronger and the UK cycling federation seems to support DH better than the USAC. Those are all just guesses though. Maybe its the water, or Americans are pussies? :P

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I agree. I think the terrain is arbitrary to a point. True, some riders exccel in certain conditions on certain types of tracks, but overall, I don't think terrain plays as much of a major factor as most people think it does. Fast guys are usually fast on most tracks.

The race scene in England supports my theory perfectly. They had a hard time determining which of their podium capable world cup riders to send to worlds.

My guess would be the number of Elite level racers. At any race if your standing on the sidelines, you watch the fast guys and try to copy them. It shows you that it IS possible to go that fast, hit that line you've never seen before, double things that don't look possible etc. Having an elite level of talent helps the rest of the field get faster. (not to take anything away from the fast EC guys, but the WC riders from the US are from the west)

-KT

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
So how do you explain Great Britain?

oops

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
This is simply not true. I've been around the world (yeah yeah yeah) and Appalachia has some amazingly demanding terrain.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Cierra is pissed off. How is it that she can race Pro next year but cant race in JR DH for Worlds, really?.I mean really?.....look at her record for crying out loud.

Why wouldn't you want to progress riders as soon as they are capable not based on age. Aren't we supposed to be giving them exposure to WC level events? and growing the talent pool?

Lame.

Last edited:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Cierra is pissed off. How is it that she can race Pro next year but cant race in JR DH for Worlds, really?.I mean really?.....look at her record for crying out loud.

Why wouldn't you want to progress riders as soon as they are capable not based on age. Aren't we supposed to be giving them exposure to WC level events? and growing the talent pool?

Lame.
Agreed. However, they only send boys to worlds when they are 17 or 18.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Ya I've often pondered that. I think the awful weather might help. The mountains may suck, but your race tracks always look pretty legit somehow, plus the culture of biking is a bit stronger and the UK cycling federation seems to support DH better than the USAC. Those are all just guesses though. Maybe its the water, or Americans are pussies? :P
Im banking on the latter, Our mountains suck, the forestry commision seems to shut down DH every week, and BC (British Cycling) does nothing for us really.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Lame.
If she is in this game for the long haul, its a damn good thing she did not get picked. She is fast, talented, hungry, but damn young. She has plenty of time.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Lame.

I am guessing you are cluless to the rules that UCI has for minimum age to enter WC's and World Champs? These rules are nothing new and have been this way for years.

No riders under 17 can compete in a WC or World Champs race... pretty simple stuff. it is not USAC making this call. it is UCI and done for the safety of the riders.

additionally, World Cups are for the Best riders on the planet, not for 14 and 15 year olds to gain experience.

And until she is beating all the pro women around the USA, I think she has plenty left to learn before she needs to be going toe to toe at WC level.

USAC can give her a Pro license but that wont get her into WC's, nor will it allow her to race outside of her age class at Nat. Champs.

Rules are rules... wondering what she is so pissed about?

Last edited:

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
I am guessing you are cluless to the rules that UCI has for minimum age to enter WC's and World Champs? These rules are nothing new and have been this way for years.

No riders under 17 can compete in a WC or World Champs race... pretty simple stuff. it is not USAC making this call. it is UCI and done for the safety of the riders.

additionally, World Cups are for the Best riders on the planet, not for 14 and 15 year olds to gain experience.

And until she is beating all the pro women around the USA, I think she has plenty left to learn before she needs to be going toe to toe at WC level.

USAC can give her a Pro license but that wont get her into WC's, nor will it allow her to race outside of her age class at Nat. Champs.

Rules are rules... wondering what she is so pissed about?
I know the rules very well thanks, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them or that they shouldn't change.

She is pissed because she could race Jr Worlds no problem and be very competitive...but can't because of her age.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
they let you race in a few didnt they? :rolleyes: :rofl:

i dont blame Racerx for standing behind his daughter (?). good for him!
yup, and I qualified for a few finals too there smart ass...

my point was that the rules are always going to be made in the interest of the very best racers... not the up an coming riders, and not slower pro riders.

rules are rules, and this one is for good reason...

I just question why someone would be so pissed about a rule that they know about, that has been in place for a while, and applies to everyone.

it's not like she is getting an unfair deal, and gets to have her chance when she is 17 just like everyone else.

Last edited: