Quantcast

USAC Licensing

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can anyone fill me in on USAC licensing and how it works? Their website is a trainwreck. I've never done a "season" of racing, rather opting for the occasional race here or there (where I can buy a day license). This year I want to change that, but I'm not sure whether I can just pick up multiple day passes, or if a year pass is the way to go, or what I need to do to get a year pass.

Try to keep the answers helpful, I think this is a good topic for the FAQ, even though everybody seems to know but me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ODL's are only available at the venue the day/weekend of the event. annual licenses are good until the end of the racing season (also end of calendar year).

you sign up for the annual license on the USAC website. you can register as cat 2 or 3. to get into cat 1 you have to have the req'd results and/or petition usac.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
The licenses run on a calender year, so they all expire in December. Don't buy one now unless you plan on doing a bunch of races by December!

Previously you could only get day licenses for Sport (Cat2) or below. Expert (Cat1) or above requires yearly license. day license used to be cheap, like $5 or so. That may be different now. Yearly is around $50-$60 for non-pro, $120(!) for Pro.

Pro
Cat1 (Expert/Semi Pro)
Cat2 (Sport)
Cat3 (Beginner)

I have gone without the past two years, most the races I have done don't require one.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Something to keep in mind about day licenses, if you are at a race that has a saturday practice and sunday race then you have to purchase 2 1 day licenses. I think they are 10 dollars now, so if you plan on doing more than 3 weekends of USAC races then it makes more sense to get the annual license.

And like Ih8rice said, you can only qualify for nationals with an annual license.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man i'm not qualifying for ****. I'm just hoping to save money and/or expedite the process.

Can I register for an annual pass onsite, or do I have to do it online?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
man i'm not qualifying for ****. I'm just hoping to save money and/or expedite the process.

Can I register for an annual pass onsite, or do I have to do it online?
youd be surprised how easy it usually is to qualify for Nationals.

you can get a yearly license on-site but it will take a bit longer to get your actual card. the form you fill out on-site acts as your "authorization to ride" for other races as well.
if you register online, you can print a "authorization to ride" which serves as your license until you get the actual card.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
word nerd, I'll try to get that straightened out tonight/this week, then i'll be ready to finish mid-pack at mt snow and for the rest of the year. GOOOOOOO ADEQUATE!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yup. Hopefully with the new fork up front, and a moderately fresh avy in the rear. Now I'll have no excuse for coming midpack!