Quantcast

USADA show up at a local Florida MTB race looking to do some testing.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Background & History:
Lacking any federal oversight, the USADA is a near autonomous entity that does receive taxpayer money to conduct its investigations. They also work hand in hand with federal agencies in order to enforce their charter and other sports treaties.

This is a frivolous waste of tax dollars under unfettered authority. This needs to be brought to an end. The USADA has abused their powers and embarrassed this country while stealing from the Tax Coffers in a hunt for prosecution without evidence of wrongdoing.

We as taxpayers cannot condone the use of our money in such a vulgar fashion. Had any test turned A/B positive, we would not be saying this. Had the USADA not had a history of harassing athletes who never had a positive test, we would not be saying this. Unfortunately, Lance Armstrong is not the only athlete, and the USADA seems content and willing to use tax payer dollars to attack the careers of athletes they may not like “just because”.

Tax dollars?
I would assume that there are no Tax dollars being used here. Just fees paid to the USADA. Could be wrong though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Albeit a very small percentage, I guarantee there are some people who cheat via drugs in MTB racing, partly because there is pretty much no enforcement. A state championship isn't exactly a grassroots local race. Occasional testing at lower levels can discourage those who would consider cheating and help keep the sport clean.

I raced endurance events with a guy for years, a wealthy DC lawyer. He was a ****ty technical rider and was constantly at the back of the pack. He claimed he had little time to train but from the shear volume of racing he did he probably should have reached 90-95% of his potential. Suddenly in the middle of a season he became unbeatable despite still being a ****ty technical rider. I guarantee he was on something.

Last edited:

Jay13

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
I just don't think there's enough money behind the Fl MTB scene to finance doping. Tour level doping takes some pretty sophisticated science. Now the occasional juicer? maybe. But the way this was done was complete BS, they showed up at the race, wouldn't give proper credentials, and then start demanding testing. I would have offered a taste test. ;)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just don't think there's enough money behind the Fl MTB scene to finance doping. Tour level doping takes some pretty sophisticated science. Now the occasional juicer? maybe. But the way this was done was complete BS, they showed up at the race, wouldn't give proper credentials, and then start demanding testing. I would have offered a taste test. ;)

No way a MTB pro could make a good doping program financially worthwhile in the states but that doesn't limit financially independent amateurs from making a stab at it trying to win at any cost. Certainly not saying they handled the situation properly.