Quantcast

Used 4runners are hard to find

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
none are stick because its chicks who drive them, ohhh ahh. JK. im looking for a used toyota pickup thats auto and i cant find any. poo

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
You won't find a 3rd gen on pirate, that's for sure!

You might try Yotatech.com but then it will be someone who knows what they have and the price might be a little high.

Just keep looking, they made them w/sticks from 1996-1999 maybe 2K. It was rare but they are out there. My buddy Willy has a sick one. Otherwise it is really easy to swap from an auto to a stick but not the other way around. The auto ECU is compatible w/a stick. But then again, some random 4Runners didn't have a machined surface for a pilot bearing on the crank and no one knows exactly which ones are affected so that could trump you in the end.

I just got an auto and the put a TRD supercharger to get the performance back and then some.

old pic but you get the idea :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
oh yeah, 5-speeds with the 2.7L are common even in 4WD it's just the 3.4L that's hard to come by. Believe it or not, the 2.7L actually rips, we have one in our long-travel Tacoma and with 35's and 5.29:1 gears it is plenty fast. The stock HP on the 2.7L is like 155 or so, it just doesn't have the low down torque of the 3.4L so if you aren't towing you might go that route...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Toshi said:
toyota actually made a v6 stick 4runner?
yup, quite a few...

My friend recently sold a sick 1999 with the sport package (big flares & hood scoop) it was "Millennium Silver" in color with a 5-speed and gray interior. :drool: I wish I could have bought it but he got like 18 or 19K for it since it had low miles and was semi-rare.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Curb Hucker said:
Here's a good stick 4runner :blah: Click Here

Yeah, I saw that one :thumb:

I found a 2000 pathfinder for 11 grand.

68k miles, 3.3 liter V6, 5 speed,Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Cassette Player, Radial Tires, Alloy Wheels, Clock, Tachometer, Tilt Steering Wheel, Interval Wipers, Rear Defroster, Console, Day/Night Lever, Front Bucket Seats, Reclining Seats, Cloth Upholstery, Body Side Moldings, Inside Hood Release, Courtesy Lights, Rear Window Wiper, Fold Down Rear Seat, Luggage Rack, CD Player, Running Boards, AM/FM Stereo, Radio, Dual Air Bags, Power Outside Mirrors

No Carfax badness... I think i'm gonna go test drive it after Christmas :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
my pathfinder has that same 3.3L SOHC V6, which is capable, reliable, and unexciting. if you can swing it, get or at least try one with the 3.5L DOHC V6. it's supposed to be much more fun :thumb: :eek:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
my pathfinder has that same 3.3L SOHC V6, which is capable, reliable, and unexciting. if you can swing it, get or at least try one with the 3.5L DOHC V6. it's supposed to be much more fun :thumb: :eek:

Yeah, I'm down with capable, reliable and unexciting. I already have like 4 moving violations in the past 5 years. The regular engine is enough for me... I dont need to be tempting fate!

As long as it will perform in the mountains and get me around, i'm cool :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mike, I'd buy a 2.7L 4Runner if you don't mind having a truck that's less than completely exciting to drive. Or at least you should test drive one. I bet the mileage is better and the acceleration very similar to the 3.3L Nissan. I remember when Toyota had the 2.4L I4 and the 3.0L V6 as the two motor options and the 2.4L got better mileage and made only like 15HP less plus it was more reliable...

Something to think about anyway.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
5 spd 4runners are very hard to come by...........I've only seen 1 or 2 at our dealership in over a year.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
punkassean said:
the 2.4L got better mileage and made only like 15HP less plus it was more reliable...
thats what I've got in my '89 pickup. It's not too fast, but I haven't found anything I couldn't get through yet.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
ALEXIS_DH said:

i always wondered why the Hilux doublecab never sold in the US. awesome pickup.
I picked up a 05 tacoma double cab with a 4.0L (245hp) five speed auto with a reg sized bed. :thumb:

I also picked up a speeding ticket already. dugh