Quantcast

Used bike, maybe?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Okay... I thought I'd start a new thread since I want maximum viewage from all you experienced monkeys. I've taken your advice and I'm considering buying a better used bike... See the "Another "New bike" thread...." I have come across this used bike, but again, I want opinions. I know Kona makes some awesome bikes, so let me know what you monkeys think....

Kona Kilauea steel hardtail. Purchased new in August '01 for $1,000. Ridden a dozen times..... a few scratches but in excellent shape. This is what the bike has on it, and he's asking $650 OBO for it.

Metallic Blue Kona Kilauea Frame
Marzocchi Bomber Z.4 shocks
Avid Brakes
Deore XT Rear Derailer
Deore Front Derailer, Shifters, Hubs
Koski Headset and Riser Bars
Shimano Cranks
Shimano Clipless Pedals
Sattelite Seat

Is it worth it? :D

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Thanks OldDude....

Unfortunately, the price tag on that bike is still WAY out of my budget, as sweet as it is. The Kona sold yesterday, as well. Dangit.... I want a bike! :angry: ;)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Here's a tip. Try ebay. Look for auctions that will be ending at weird times, and/or on odd days like holidays. Focus in on those that you're interested in that fall into the above category. I haven't seen a lot of decent bikes there recently, but you can find something that you're interested in and do research on the net about it (read reviews, find out what it's worth, etc.). Bikes that were new last year usually sell for far below they're original price tag, and further still because many of them are still available in bike shops and online from last year that have never been ridden. Keep these in mind when bidding. One more thing, on bikes that have a reserve price that you know is out of your budget, or you know that the reserve price will probably not be met, bid on them anyway. Often a reserve price will not be met and/or the person with the high bid sometimes backs out and the seller may contact you with something like "I know you didn't reach my reserve price, but I'd be willing to sell it to you for your last bid price." You wont have the security of ebays financial dealings, but I'm not sure that you have much recourse anyway with them (If you were to get burned). Good luck.