Quantcast

Used frame questions...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm looking for a high/forward single pivot with somewhat modern geometry and here's what I've narrrowed it down to:

08-10 morewood izimu

08-10 orange 224

yeti 303 rdh

Are any of these known for cracking or "one season" types of bikes? I want to make sure that I'll be getting something durable.

Are there any similiar frames that I'm missing? I'm looking for something that is simple, and will allow me to try a high sp before buying an expensive new bike in the next year or two. The main goal is something lighter and more lively feeling than my '07 demo. I also want a bike that improves upon high speed hits and tracking from my demo. I'm guessing that these won't corner as well with the longer rear ends, but maybe I'll be wrong.. Am I on the right track here, trying out one of these bikes?

Finally, there is a frame I'm looking at that has been media blasted and painted. Does media blasting hurt frames, or is that bead blasting, or both?

Cool, thanks for any input!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
media blasting doesnt hurt the frame if they used a med/fine, check the bearing tolerances for looseness and pivots... SHouldnt be an issue though.

Out of the pack the yeti would be my choice, I like yetis.... they are all great frames.

Good luck and congrats on a new to you sled... :thumb:

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
media blasting doesnt hurt the frame if they used a med/fine, check the bearing tolerances for looseness and pivots... SHouldnt be an issue though.

Out of the pack the yeti would be my choice, I like yetis.... they are all great frames.

Good luck and congrats on a new to you sled... :thumb:
Thanks for the input on the media blasting. Does media blasting remove material, or would it potentially loosen pivots by taking out paint and gunk or loctite that would normally hold them tight?

I think yeti is my favorite too, but probably the most difficult for me to find since I'm searching for sub 1000, but we'll see what pops up. :thumb:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Thanks for the input on the media blasting. Does media blasting remove material, or would it potentially loosen pivots by taking out paint and gunk or loctite that would normally hold them tight?
It depends on what type of media is used, if it's not super-abbrasive it shouldn't remove material from your frame. My shocker was media blasted with some pretty aggressive stuff and then powdercoated(bought it used). When I had the powdercoat stripped the pivot bearings fit loose, but I got some of the loctite bearing retention stuff(Loctite 21447 10ml Retaining Compound 638 Maximum Strength to be exact) and that got everything nice and tight, haven't had any issues since then. Granted the shocker is built like a tank.. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially with a single pivot, but obviously try to avoid if you can.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Thanks captain...

Anyone have input about the durability of any of the frames I mentioned? I know sp's tend to be light, but are any of these known for being one season only type rigs? No one in my neck of the woods has any of these bikes for me to pick their brains about. Thanks!

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I can speak for the durability of the 303RDH. I picked one up from go ride last summer and did the Gravity East and numerous weekday rides. In a full season of racing the frame has one small dent from Plattekill and that is it. I would not be concerned with the durability on this frame.

I would also note that the rail is easy to clean and relube- the only people who complain about it have never owned one or known a friend who owned one.

If you pick one up plan on dropping 100lbs of spring from what Yeti recommends.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
At Go-ride.com we've sold over 50 of the Yeti RDH frames the last 2 years and haven't had a single warranty request of any kind.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget for a used or new frame?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I'd like to spend around $1000 used, maybe around $1500 new- that sounds like a great deal for the rdh, but I need a large :(

That is a good point about parts availability with the yeti, and it's actually my favorite out of the group, but the reason I'm looking for used it so it will be reasonably cheap.

I have a boxxer team, xt cranks 721s saint brakes- so my parts are decent, but aren't parts that I want to throw a lot of money at. I was thinking I could get away with trying something new to me for little cost, while I save up for another year or so for a brand new build with everything new.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
It's up in the air. I've got a Vivid coil and my Revox is at ISO Tuned being rebuilt and tuned for me. Trying to find a perfect shock for the Shova. Not happy with the RP23, but want to stick with air. Thinking Evolver, but can't find one on the used market.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I'm not sure where your neck of the woods is, but for me, dealing with orange for replacement parts, warranty issues, ect. is more difficult then the other brands as Canada doesn't have a distributor.

I have always liked both yeti's and morewoods products, would the morewood you happen to be talking about be the one on pinkbike that was repainted lexas white or what ever he was calling it? A buddy of mine in a similar situation was looking at it and from what i can tell i don't think you'd have a problem with it.

That being said, i personally prefer the ride of the yeti, and at the $1500 price that some online shops have it listed at its hard to beat. You can look around in some classifieds for a used one, and should have no problem getting one for a little less, its hard for a seller to ask for 1300+ if there are places selling new ones for slightly more. Keep looking around and you'll track something down

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong,

But with the RDH, doesn't the rail system alter the wheel path to a more vertical path? Just curious because this would change the characteristics of the high/forward single pivot that the OP was looking for?

That being said, the yeti would definately be a sweet choice:thumb:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I'm not sure where your neck of the woods is, but for me, dealing with orange for replacement parts, warranty issues, ect. is more difficult then the other brands as Canada doesn't have a distributor.

I have always liked both yeti's and morewoods products, would the morewood you happen to be talking about be the one on pinkbike that was repainted lexas white or what ever he was calling it? A buddy of mine in a similar situation was looking at it and from what i can tell i don't think you'd have a problem with it.

That being said, i personally prefer the ride of the yeti, and at the $1500 price that some online shops have it listed at its hard to beat. You can look around in some classifieds for a used one, and should have no problem getting one for a little less, its hard for a seller to ask for 1300+ if there are places selling new ones for slightly more. Keep looking around and you'll track something down
I'm not sure how warranty is here in Washington state, but I can probably assume that Yeti is going to be easier to get help with since it's much closer.

I was looking at the lexus white frame, and once I was finally convinced to pull the trigger, it sold on ebay. Looked like a pretty sweet deal with a double barrel for $700. Oh well.

I'll keep looking!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong,

But with the RDH, doesn't the rail system alter the wheel path to a more vertical path? Just curious because this would change the characteristics of the high/forward single pivot that the OP was looking for?

That being said, the yeti would definately be a sweet choice:thumb:
It won't affect the axle path, but it could have the nice side effect of stiffening up the rear end (side to side) a bit. I believe they did the rail to "tune" the shock rate on that bike.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Took a trip last summer and go to the East and made a number of business days ride of gravity. The full frame, and so a small dent in the race a season Plattekill. I would not be in question with this frame, and durability.
Ah, your ideas are intriguing to me. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?