Quantcast

Used kona/ good price?

No Fear

Chimp
Mar 20, 2008
There is a used 05 kona for sale here in town, $1100. Does this seem like a good price for the year?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I am doubting (hoping) that he is not asking aout a road bike in the freeride section and that he really just has no idea what it is......

Post more info, or expect no help.

No Fear

Chimp
Mar 20, 2008
Alright let me make it clear. It is a 2005 Kona Stinky Deluxe for $1100. It has the marz 888 and fox dhx4.0 and different rims. This would be my first freeride bike. I have also been looking at a new Mongoose Black Diamond Double.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If it's not beat, offer $800. It's a great bike to get started on. See if you can get a bike shop to check the fork, shock, etc. out first.

Do not buy a Mongoose.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Why do not buy a Mongoose?? The new Mongoose line is pretty impressive. You have any time on them??
I have over 3 years on my bullet proof Stinky frame, and it's given me time to upgrade 95% of the components. I could buy a new frame, but have no reason to.

Show me a Mongoose that's been beat on for 3+ years.

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd say go for the new mongoose. It has a killer component spec on it and the new ones should be able to take a couple of years worth of beating. Worst that could happen would be the frame breaking, but you wouldnt really be loosing any money, the parts alone are worth the cost of the complete bike. Just swap the parts onto a better frame if that did happen.

Another option for you would be to get a used Iron Horse 7point, their pretty solid bikes too and have a pretty usable spec on them. Can find used '05 7points for crazy deals now.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have over 3 years on my bullet proof Stinky frame, and it's given me time to upgrade 95% of the components. I could buy a new frame, but have no reason to.

Show me a Mongoose that's been beat on for 3+ years.
Mongoose has made quite the turnaround in the past few years. I wasn't saying to not get a Kona, I was saying don't rule out a great bike for the money.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
get the mongoose, i rode a black diamond last year for a little while and really liked it...well it's way better than an 05 stinky. those frames just didn't feel right to me

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Offer the guy 850 for the Stinky.
If he says yes, go for it. I doubt you will be able to find a DBD for that price.
If not, I'd say go for the Mongoose.
For $850 you will be getting a solid frame and parts spec, but you will want to buy a new frame after probably a year. For some reason it seems to me Kona screwed up the 2005. I love the 2004, and I love the 2007&8, yet '05 didn't feel right when the terrain got really techy.