Quantcast

Users\AppData\Roaming - why is this so gargantuan?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my computer was running pretty slowly so i decided to see what's up...my 500GB c drive was getting clogged, so i moved a bunch of downloads and WIP photo files off it, but after digging around more, it's still at 388GB full, and it's not like I have a ton of programs installed on it...

after checking folder sizes, the main culprit appears to be this 'Roaming' folder, which is about 109GB (and the 'Local' folder is another 75GB).

any thoughts as to what i can do with this? assuming just a straight delete isn't likely the best idea, but google and MS database searches haven't yielded much useful info.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Check the sub folders. That's a place where apps store their user data. iTunes, in particular, stores a lot of junk in there and you might find that's your big culprit. Browse through the sub folders and find the primary culprit.

I bet the Apple folder is enormous.

edit: do not just arbitrarily delete it unless you want apps to stop functioning and a lot of your personal preferences/data to vanish.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i found the lurker...

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS4\Cache

can i kill w/ extreme prejudice? or will this F up my preferences and cached thumbnails?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It appears to be the high quality thumbnails generated for all of my folders...there's a ton of them in this nest.

1024 pixel wide .CR2 files.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what you think i should use Lightroom?

i like using ACR for my raw converter, then bringing into PS...i don't need another software app to learn

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
what you think i should use Lightroom?

i like using ACR for my raw converter, then bringing into PS...i don't need another software app to learn
For the kind of shooting you do, it would be faster, I bet.

I have an irrational love of Lightroom though, I admit that...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
doing the ACR adjustments isn't bad..what seems rather slow in Bridge is the keywording and IPTC stuff. is LR better for that?
I think so, but YMMV, of course.

I still know guys who use ACDsee for everything because that's what they are used to. Blech. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I tried out Lightroom, I love it. I was using Nikon's View NX (I tried the Capture trial as well) Nikon software is a total dog.

Narlus, Lightroom is crazy fast and there are enough features that often you can do everything right then and there and leave PS out of it. (links to it directly though)

I'm probably going to get this setup:
Intuos4 Medium + Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 Bundle

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
By the way, if you're looking to get a tablet and don't want to shell out for a Wacom, the Monoprice tablets are about 90% of the tablet at 15% of the cost.

(Having said that, I give up my Wacom about the same time I give up coffee and breathing.)

I only use PS now if I need a layer. Being able to do a localized exposure adjustment or dust spot removal as I'm cruising through my workflow in LR is so very nice.

Last edited: