Quantcast

Using 6 inch calipers for 8 inch disk brakes

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could use my 6 inch hayes calipers, buy an 8 inch disk and is adapter and use 8 inch disks? Seems logical, maybe not as strong or something, but should be an improvement due to greater leverage. Has anyone done this?

Do some research first.

Some folks, including some fork manufacturers, believe that using 8" rotors with quick-release, as opposed to 20 mm, forks, is dangerous.

I have used an 8" rotor on QR style Psylo and Z1 forks, but my getting away with it to date doesn't prove anything.

J

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The spacing id different. 20mm forks require a wider/stiffer adapter since they are designed around 8" rotors. Research it. There is no difference between the calipers.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The QR/8in rotor thing only applies to specific forks. They're basically Manitou's more XC models, so everything else is still officially 'OK' although I suspect that the same might be able to be said for any XC model in reality. Just stick with Marzocchi Z1s, Djs and above and you'll be all good.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I expect you've probably brought the adaptor by now, but if you haven't be aware that despite what Jenson or Pricepoint might imply on their website, there are actually seperate front and rear adaptors for 8 or 6" rotors, so get em from someone who knows the difference.

cough-go-ride-cough

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by TheMontashu
it dosent matter QR or 20mm. specialized is specing the P2 with *in roters and that has QR i dont think they would do somthing unsafe
Specialized has also issued several recalls about this very issue. ;) And it could potentially be unsafe. It depends on the fork manufacturer and model, some QR forks are fine for 8" rotors.

Recall Alert
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs, Washington, D.C. 20207
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 3, 2003
CPSC, Specialized Announce Recall of Brake Rotors On Mountain Bikes

The following product safety recall was conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Specialized mountain bikes Units: 250
Distributor: Specialized Bicycle Components Inc., Morgan Hill, Calif.
Hazard: During heavy braking, the brake tabs on the front forks could break off, possibly causing a loss of control and fall from the bicycle.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description: These are 2004 S Works Enduro and 2004 Enduro Expert mountain bikes with 8-inch brake rotors in the front. Sold at: Authorized Specialized retailers during September 2004 for between $2,390 and $4,880.
Manufactured in: Taiwan.
Remedy: Specialized has agreed to replace the 8-inch brake rotors on these bikes with 6-inch rotors at no cost to the consumer. Consumers should stop riding these bikes and return them to an authorized retailer.
Consumer contact: For more information, contact Specialized at (800) 432-4144 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. MT Monday through Friday.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals – contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC’s hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC’s teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270 or visit CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
it dosent matter QR or 20mm. specialized is specing the P2 with *in roters and that has QR i dont think they would do somthing unsafe
There was a Specialized Enduro recall a few years ago because they spec'ed 8 inch rotors!!!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04522.html

These are worst case scenarios, but I would not make any assumptions. I would imagine the Shiver SC can take an 8, but I would confirm with Marzocchi, and then it is your ass.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
There was a Specialized Enduro recall a few years ago because they spec'ed 8 inch rotors!!!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04522.html

These are worst case scenarios, but I would not make any assumptions. I would imagine the Shiver SC can take an 8, but I would confirm with Marzocchi, and then it is your ass.
I have had 8inch roters on my P2 up untill 2 days ago, thats over a year

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
I have had 8inch roters on my P2 up untill 2 days ago, thats over a year
1. Recalls are usually playing it safe. It is not like Pinto's blowing up from getting rear ended. The Enduro recall was over two or three incidents, not 1000.

2. Riding styles comes into play. Were you taking the P2 to Northstar? Or just riding dirt jumps and urban? Or are you the nose wheelie king?

I can see how the Enduro will see much more braking forces than a P2.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
1. Recalls are usually playing it safe. It is not like Pinto's blowing up from getting rear ended. The Enduro recall was over two or three incidents, not 1000.

2. Riding styles comes into play. Were you taking the P2 to Northstar? Or just riding dirt jumps and urban? Or are you the nose wheelie king?

I can see how the Enduro will see much more braking forces than a P2.
That bike has been evory where but N*

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
We all know 8" rotors have more leverage than 6" ones. This puts more stress on the disc tabs. Manitou forks with their unique post style 74 mm disc mounts are better able to withstand these forces. The tabs are simply much beefier, and the caliper sits on top of them, not hanging off the side, like on the standard tabs. I still wouldn't use an 8" up front without a thru axle.

Feb 18, 2004
California
ya i have a banshee scream which only fits 8's but i had some weird brake called diatech anchor which was hydro and a 6' and i got it on but i was using an 8' adapter and my caliper broke at the bolts