Quantcast

Using a heat gun to apply clear MACtac, good or bad idea ?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Got new frame in the house and every time I get a new bike its always a struggle to put clear mactac on it.

Ive heard/seen people using heat guns to apply the protective material on various surfaces but Ive always wonder if it'd be bad for the paint ...

I have been using the credit card system to get rid of the bubbles ( never really worked that well for me ) and a LOT of time...Im sure there must be a better way to do this.

How do you guys do it on your bike ?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Use a hair dryer, do NOT use a heat gun. They are too hot and an extra second in one spot will melt it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i used a nice hairdryer to apply the XPel plastic that i used.
after i cleaned the frame with water then alcohol, i warmed the frame up with the hairdryer then warmed the plastic up a big to make it more malleable. i used some semi-strong painters tape to just hold it together over night and kept the bike inside since its been 10* at night in my garage.

i didnt use a heat gun since mine gets extremely hot and didnt want to go that route

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I want to do something like this to my carpet fiber crank arms. I tend to rub my feet against my cranks constantly. What's the thickest clear plastic that would work well? My hardware store which usually kicks ass for this kind of stuff had no idea what I was talking about. In the mean time, I'll just use some electrical tape so I don't wear through these things.
And no, I won't use a heat gun :)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I want to do something like this to my carpet fiber crank arms. I tend to rub my feet against my cranks constantly. What's the thickest clear plastic that would work well? My hardware store which usually kicks ass for this kind of stuff had no idea what I was talking about. In the mean time, I'll just use some electrical tape so I don't wear through these things.
Just use 3M clear bra. Can be bought at any automotive store. You will need heat to mold it to the crank arm. I would recommend what IH8Rice did on his frame.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Go to a Moto shop and ask for number plate backing, that works quite well too. then you can at least bro down.

Last edited:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have used clear number plate backing that is used on MX bikes on the down tubes of a few DH bikes now.

Here is a link to the Parts Unlimited web site

No heat gun / hair dryer needed. You just need to put cuts in it to get around corners. It has keeps rocks from chipping the paint pretty well. Not really going to stop a rock from denting.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
tuumbaq, IH8Rice can you give me links to exact products from both manufactures, please? I am not sure what shall look for... :|
Would these films protect from dents, too?
I've made a protector with 2-3mm aluminum sheet. It's heavy and ugly but it's bullet proof.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Tried 3 autopsrts stores, struck out on the 3m stuff. Since the RC shop was close, I tried them. They had some nice thick plastic sheet (sticky) for covering/ protecting the bottom of the car. $10 and I'm stoked. Well, got it home, installed on my crank arms and there's one major drawback: not so clear. Kinda milky clear and it looks like I wrapped a condom around my crank arms... Oh well for now- maybe I'll try the Moto shop or mtac if the condom look drives me too crazy.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I order mine from Go-Ride. They sell it by the sheet. I cover all the rub spots and all the contact areas. My bikes stay looking new for a long time. Just make sure to apply it when its warm. You can use a hair dryer or just do it on a warm day.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I would highly recommend the 3M scotchgard film, I have coated almost every surface on my GT fury. It can get tricky to get it to stretch into odd areas but 70% isopropyl alcohol seems to do the trick, lets you float the pieces and stretch them easier. Seems to be the same stuff that BONK sells, the cheapest place i have found so far is ebay, a bra sized piece that is 12inches by 6ft can be had for $30-$40.