Quantcast

Using a Progressive 5E shock with a somewhat progressive linkage frame?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I normally use 'livelier' shocks like Romic and Fox but I was wondering how good or bad would a 5th Element work on a frame that has a progressive design. I would probably set it up in a way that would keep the shock really active through the first 3/4 of it's stroke and then ramp up.

I remember having one on a 2003 BB7 and it felt pretty good. It felt kinda harsh just sitting on the bike but once you got some speed it seemed to float over everything (of course that's using a linear frame).

Second, because of the air chamber and air volume adjust, if I normally run a 500lbs coil, what's the equivalent for a 5E?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atrokz said:
Is this for your Nucleon? If so there is no need for the 5th, as a custom valved RC would work allot better.
That's what I figured...I'll just stick with Romic since I liked my last one up until it started leaking everywhere.

If it was Fox, it would have to be a DHX or a Push'd RC. I tried a regular Fox RC and it sucked.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atrokz said:
The newer ones aparantly have the problems sorted.
The regular Fox RC's??? I know they have that 'pro-pedal' inside but as far as I know, it's high-speed damping is still junk.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
oh, I meant the Romics. You can have the RC's custom valved and mine on the M-Pire feels right. Wouldn't mind trying a DHX on it though.

All linkage driven Nicolai's have built in rising rates that realy help prevent botoming so any shock with a 'bottom out' control will need the option to turn it off. I'm sure you could still run one but my thinking it's it's not ideal.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atrokz said:
oh, I meant the Romics. You can have the RC's custom valved and mine on the M-Pire feels right. Wouldn't mind trying a DHX on it though.

All linkage driven Nicolai's have built in rising rates that realy help prevent botoming so any shock with a 'bottom out' control will need the option to turn it off. I'm sure you could still run one but my thinking it's it's not ideal.
I remember reading somewhere that the Nucleon ST's were designed with the Fox RC in mind. On the small stuff it felt great but got really harsh at high speeds. I'll email Push to see what they can do without adding all that platform crap.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
ChrisRobin said:
The regular Fox RC's??? I know they have that 'pro-pedal' inside but as far as I know, it's high-speed damping is still junk.
What do you mean by "high speed damping?" If progressivity is what you're talking about, it really depends upon the frame design. On a Bullit or Orange 223, yes the Fox RC is junk, but on a progressive frame design they often work fine. Some people however do prefer a more controlled/adjustable shock like the 5th.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
WheelieMan said:
What do you mean by "high speed damping?" If progressivity is what you're talking about, it really depends upon the frame design. On a Bullit or Orange 223, yes the Fox RC is junk, but on a progressive frame design they often work fine. Some people however do prefer a more controlled/adjustable shock like the 5th.
What I mean is when you're riding fast, it's like the swingarm and linkage want to work faster than the shock can handle. It almost feels like it's locking up. The rear suspension feels harsher. Maybe high speed damping isn't the right choice of words but the Romic shock I had didn't have this problem, nor the El Jefe I had for a while.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atrokz said:
Try a lower spring rate on the RC. Either that or just pony up for a DHX (4.0 would be fine).
The softer spring idea doesn't help a whole lot. It's the internals of the shock that cause the spiking. I emailed Push and they replied within 20min! They said I could go with the Race setup which replaces the guts of the resevoir of the Fox RC which will eliminate the spiking. They also said they can remove or keep out any platform damping. I'm pretty impressed with the fast response.

Thanks for the info though.