Quantcast

Using a propane torch to build dirt jumps

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
I have seen videos of people using propane torches to "bake" their dirt jumps. Can someone who has actually done this please explain how this works? Is this technique mainly for building new jumps or could it be useful for resurfacing existing lines? Would this work with any kind of dirt?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I have seen videos of people using propane torches to "bake" their dirt jumps. Can someone who has actually done this please explain how this works? Is this technique mainly for building new jumps or could it be useful for resurfacing existing lines? Would this work with any kind of dirt?
around here the Texas summer sun bakes em. ive seen a few videos too and i think it's glam diggers being 'flame'boyant . . . . or maybe out of frustration in constantly damp climates ....

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
around here the Texas summer sun bakes em. ive seen a few videos too and i think it's glam diggers being 'flame'boyant . . . . or maybe out of frustration in constantly damp climates ....
Agreed. Personally I think it would only crisp a thin outer layer of the dirt and not actually dry it up.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
if you can stack a huge amount of wet dirt, then roast the outer layer after packing it like crazy, its an efficient way to be able to ride ASAP, but most dirt gets the same effect after it gets ridden while still moist after packing. deal with the slow/soft dirt for a few days and itll have that same concrete feeling after

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Works well in the northeast where the weather is pretty erratic. Especially when workin with clay or sandy conditions.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They do that in big competitions. I think I saw it in Big in Bavaria or some other big FMBA event like that. It's good because you can repair the track very fast.

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Propane Torches work really good for the tops of lips or landings where it gets thinner. Trying to bake out the base of the jump is the tough part. Or if your jumps are in ground where the whole transition is in the earth.

To bake out the base of any transition you can just start a wood fire. A good size wood fire will bake out the base pretty good. A propane torch is only a few inches wide and can only put heat in one spot. With a normal wood fire that covers the transition, the dirt bakes out deeper and even....We do this only when we need to.

I don't recommend anyone starting fires but if you have adults that can control the situation or even have firemen that ride. It can be done.