Quantcast

Using a single MP3 player w/both PC and Mac?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I was about to buy an iPod (yes, I know you think the Rio is better), until I found out Gen 4 iPods associate with only a single computer. Well, I use a PC (work) and a Mac (home) and I cycle through computers fairly often. I want to be able to migrate my music collection easily.

Few questions:
1. Will other players work with Macs?

2. Of the ones that will work with a Mac, which ones meet the following criteria?
a. Aren't awkwardly thick (e.g. rio karma)
b. Aren't outrageously expensive
c. Won't have their little joysticks break off
d. Will make life easy connecting to both my PC and Mac
e Can do on-the-fly playlisting
f. Don't have all sorts of extra **** I don't need - like photo viewing and FM tuners.

Pretty much looking at the Dell DJ-20, Archos XS200. The zen touch would be okay, except that linear touchpad looks annoying as ****.
edit: add the JetAudio M3 to that list, although having that remote dangling around might be annoying.

Yes, I know there was another thread on this, but it's outdated and a goat-rodeo of opinions and novistry, and I couldn't wade through it without wanting to stab myself in the eye.

Thanks, all.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Rio Karma is more ergonomically correct due to its thickness just like a big pen is more comfortable to write with versus a standard thin pencil. Have you every actually touched or used these various players? Its easier to use a Rio Karma with one hand than a ipod for this reason. Not only that, its smaller in the other dimensions and 20% lighter.

It works with any computer that has a web browser and java - that includes macs.

I've had my Karma for 1.5 years so far, its been to three continents, and its still going strong.

Jetaudio will have an X5 and M5 soon, but nothing can touch a 20GB Karma at $180 (see buy.com)

Try posting on dapreview's forums for mp3 questions.

D

d-sop

gen 4=scroll/click wheel? my 3rd gen goes on anybody's computer. i think its better than those newones (except for the size; i need a bigger one). if the java/internet thing doesnt work u can download windows media player (i think ive seen it done on macs b4) from www.microsoft.com. wmp takes every single mp3 player out there thats not an ipod. peace.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
syadasti said:
Have you every actually touched or used these various players?
Yes, and I agree the Karma is very easy to use. Unfortunately it is awkward and uncomfortable in a pocket or in a briefcase. I loved the Rio Carbon/Pearl, but alas it doesn't have the storage I need. Right now the Dell DJ-30 is at the top of my list, but I still haven't figured out if it will work with my Mac. Any possibility of a Karma replacement coming out?

D-Sop, the gen 4 will work with any of those computers but my understanding is you can't upload music from the iPod to another computer... this could be misinformation though.

I've been checking out DAPreview, but didn't look in the forums. Will do.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I put my karma in my coat pocket and laptop briefcase all the time - it fits without a problem. The only pockets where its harder to use it are jean pockets but I still can fit it - the karma is about the same thickness as your average wallet. Again I think your are putting too much trust into the Internet rather than the real world. Its a non-issue really

The Rio Karma replacement is the Chorma but I don't know when it coming - I would think soon.

Ipod can be used on multiple computers with third party software solutions.

The Sony NWHD3 and NWHD5 might be decent options - size of mini HDD players, native mp3 support, and awesome battery life. Price isn't that great though...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I tried out the zen touch yesterday, it's so buggy I can't believe they put it on the market like that. The only way I could get it to scroll somewhat smoothly was using the up/down buttons at either end of the linear touchpad. Nice color screen though, but the interface wasn't as clean/nice as the iPod photo's.