Quantcast

using ETA on Shiver SC for 4x

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I was wondering if I can use the ETA on my Shiver SC for riding fourcross. The manual only says that is can be unsafe for the rider to have less travel when riding downhill. Well, if it doesnt damage the fork, I am fine with it. So, does anyone know if riding with ETA on wil damage my fork? Thanks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nope. I rode street with ETA for a while. Never hurt anything. But you'll only have like an inch of travel. And it'll be stiff.

I didn't know Shiver SCs had ETA.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You'll damage the eta/ecc cart and eventually destroy it if you are going to do jumping/abusive riding with it engaged.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks all for your help. Too bad 2 people have a totally different opinion on the ETA.

The Shiver I have is the 2003 model.

Why is the Shiver SC bad for 4x? I know it isnt really light and its feeling might not be right for pumping but is it really that bad? I was going to use the fork for freeride and some DH as well so most 4x forks will be way too stiff for that I think.

I was hoping by using the ETA the fork would perform better for 4x.

Sep 10, 2001
Don't use the ETA for 4x purposes... Not meant for that and you will end up damaging expensive internal parts..

As for using that fork for 4x, about the only downside I found with it was in a BMX style starting gate... The inverted fork isn't so nice there.. But oustside of that, as long as the geometry of the bike feels good with it, I would say ride it. I ditched mine because the fork was a little short for the frame I was on at the time.. The bike was a little too twitchy for me.. Could have been fun on my current frame though..

Brian

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Don't use the ETA for 4x purposes... Not meant for that and you will end up damaging expensive internal parts..

As for using that fork for 4x, about the only downside I found with it was in a BMX style starting gate... The inverted fork isn't so nice there.. But oustside of that, as long as the geometry of the bike feels good with it, I would say ride it. I ditched mine because the fork was a little short for the frame I was on at the time.. The bike was a little too twitchy for me.. Could have been fun on my current frame though..

Brian
What bike did you have it on?
I would think the shiver SC is too tall for most 4x frames in stead of too low...

That and it has a lot of flex which really sucks in 4x...

Sep 10, 2001
It was on a Mountain Cycle Rumble... But I had an 01 SC with 100mm of travel... Like I said, the gate was the only placed you noticed the flex... But if you leaned into the fork so it compresses, it stiffened up a bit. The fork would be pretty sweet on my current Supercross MX26.. But it is built up as an all purpose bike, so a slightly slack HA isn't so bad..

Brian

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Even a 100mm would be a bit much for an efficient 4x bike, for me at least...
Plus I find that the flex is pretty noticable when cornering as well as it is in the startgate.
Not to say the shiver is a bad fork, but its just not for 4x.