Quantcast

Using Mx Helmet

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Wow. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Sometimes it really is hard to find what you are looking for via a search.

Anyway, as it has been stated, the MX helmets are going to be made for higher speed impacts. These, of course, are the one you are trying to protect yourself from. So....that leads us to one conclusion. Before you buy either helmet, try to get a peek at an MTB full-face, and an MX full-face. The MTB ones look like a total joke. They are like a basic XC lid with some extra plastic crap down near your cheek bones. Said crap is barely even shock absorbing. In most cases it appears to only be padding.

I am going to take this moment to point you to this guy. --> http://www.rockgardn.com/items/helmets/blacklite-detail.htm?menu=helmets
After much researching I felt that the RG helmet met the criteria I was searching for.
Thank you for that info, it was very useful :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Im 5ft 9, and im not sure to be honest, i was thinking like track and trial maybe, few jumps here and there. Thats my only worry is fitting the bike, obviously i don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a bike at this stage but i reckon now size wise id probably have to be looking at a 250 then because i just think the 125 might be to small, or do they do them in different sizes? Probably best to go to a shop and look at the sizes.
A person of you're height will want a bigger bike than a 150F. I'd look for a CRF230F if you want a fun all-around trail bike (but not really a motocross bike) or a CRF250R if you want something light and nimble for mostly track riding and basic trails or a 250X if you want to do some more trail riding and occasional track riding.

You might also really like a KTM 250XCF. I have a KTM 250SXF and i trail ride it often and it also kicks ass on the track. KTM makes some very light and reliable bikes.

As far as the helmet dilemma, if you really want to have only one helmet it's not the worst thing you could do to run a moto helmet for mtb riding but I agree with DH Diva in saying that ideally you'd have a helmet for each sport. A Giro Remedy will run you $130 and a Bell Moto-7R will run you $200. For $330 total (USD) you'll have a top-notch SNELL/DOT moto lid and an ASTM/CPSC DH bicycle helmet.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Ok thanks, i think my best bet will be to pop on down to the shop and have a look around at sizes, i originally talked about a 125 because cheaper and sensible for a first bike, but obviously its guna need to fit too.id rather by second hand at the moment because new can really be expensive, so i'll just have to ask them if i can sit on them lol.

cool, ya there is way too much info to list as far as how to go about it, but you have the right idea. Just dont listen to the sales guys, sit on the bikes and see what feels right to YOU. Definitely go used too,for example when I got my 2005 kx250, I got it for 3200. This was last year when the 06s were out, which cost about 6000 (and its the same exact bike).
So to sum up I say:
1- go used, so you save alot but not clapped out
2- 2stroke will be less maintenance/less money if something goes boom/ but not as fun power delivery as 4stroke for a beginner
3- 125/250/250f bikes will all have good suspension and relatively same seat heights

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
A person of you're height will want a bigger bike than a 150F. I'd look for a CRF230F if you want a fun all-around trail bike (but not really a motocross bike) or a CRF250R if you want something light and nimble for mostly track riding and basic trails or a 250X if you want to do some more trail riding and occasional track riding.

You might also really like a KTM 250XCF. I have a KTM 250SXF and i trail ride it often and it also kicks ass on the track. KTM makes some very light and reliable bikes.

As far as the helmet dilemma, if you really want to have only one helmet it's not the worst thing you could do to run a moto helmet for mtb riding but I agree with DH Diva in saying that ideally you'd have a helmet for each sport. A Giro Remedy will run you $130 and a Bell Moto-7R will run you $200. For $330 total (USD) you'll have a top-notch SNELL/DOT moto lid and an ASTM/CPSC DH bicycle helmet.
YEh i was starting to wonder when DHdiva said she was 5ft4 and rode a 250 hmm am i actually going to fit on this 125 i want. I've only just moved to Canada, so were moving into our house on the 21st of this month, so i shall be taking a trip out sometime after we have moved in to buy my bike hopefully. (mtb and mx) obviously coming from england i have no clue where is cheap and where isnt etc but im guna have a shop about. I think it might be worth taking a trip to Valley motosport down the road from me and just asking them if i can try out different sizes.

As for the helmets i have been looking about and seen a few i like, and im guna weigh up pro's and con's about having 2 helmets and 1 and look at costs etc and hopefully make a decision soon.

Thanks for all the help, you've all been great :)

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
cool, ya there is way too much info to list as far as how to go about it, but you have the right idea. Just dont listen to the sales guys, sit on the bikes and see what feels right to YOU. Definitely go used too,for example when I got my 2005 kx250, I got it for 3200. This was last year when the 06s were out, which cost about 6000 (and its the same exact bike).
So to sum up I say:
1- go used, so you save alot but not clapped out
2- 2stroke will be less maintenance/less money if something goes boom/ but not as fun power delivery as 4stroke for a beginner
3- 125/250/250f bikes will all have good suspension and relatively same seat heights
Ok thankyou, yeh i was going to look at used bikes for definate.
YEh thats what im worried about the sales man being like ah no you want this bike. im like NO i dont lol. But hopefully i will pop down there sometime soon. thanks again :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
that is totally inaccurate.
I tried using one helmet for both moto and DH racing for one season and the thing was absolutely worked. So no, my statement is not totally inaccurate. The more you wear it, if your riding both often, the more you sweat in it, the more you have to wash the pads, the more you take little diggers in it, the more you scratch, scuff, scrap the exterior, and the more chance for taking a hit that renders it needing replacement. If you destroy your one lid for two sports, you can't do much at all until you get a new lid. Considering a good MX helmet is in the $199+ range, thats a big bill, especially for a beginner rider who is going to be more prone to falling for the first few months of riding (both the MX and a MTB). I actually did use a MX helmet for DH, when I DH raced. So that is not my arguement. I feel that in this particular situation, a beginner rider would be better off having one helmet for each sport.

hmm am i actually going to fit on this 125 i want.
At 5'9" you will have zero problems finding a bike that fits. Like mentioned before, a 125 2 stroke is going to be roughly the same size as a 250 and a 450 4 stroke. I had to have mine lowered 1.75 inches, and have soft springs and re-valving done to get mine to fit. I can barely get the toes down now. If I only rode desert, I could have left the height stock and just done springs and the re-valve, but I spend a lot of time in the woods. A 250r 4 stroke would be a good bike for you as it is very managable in the woods, and great for the track. Some people will tell you it's too much bike to start on, but I don't really agree with that. As long as you keep it stock for awhile it will be pretty tame.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There are currently THREE threads on the first page of the DH forum regarding helmets. Search function anyone? At any rate, here's a quote from another user explaining the difference between the standards used for MX vrs. DH helmets, and has some good info and insight.

ECE and DOT are not bad per say, but ASTM 1952 is very recent standard developed specifically for DH bicycle helmets. It is one of the only standards to accurately reflect the needs of our sport compared to older standards developed for motorcycles.

The soft "comfy" foam/fabric padding and the shell are not what actually protect your head. In a major impact, your head is saved by the hard EPS foam as it compresses and slows the impact down. The basic function of any helmet is that as your head hits another hard object, the EPS foam absorbs the energy of the impact by compressing (and sometimes cracking). This prevents that energy from being transmitted directly to your brain. Every other element of the helmet is there to somehow compliment the function of the EPS foam.

The shell is important because it helps hold the foam together during impact, but the shell itself is not able to absorb much impact. Also, in the case of DH/moto helmets, the shell is what provides stiffness for the chinbar. You don't want the chinbar to be so flexible that it just deflects into your face, so proper layup of the composite layers is important to reach adequate strength. ASTM 1952 specifically addresses chinbar stiffness so any helmet that meets this standard has been proven to show minimal deflection while the chinbar is impacted.

The inner padding is there for comfort and sweat absorption. Try wearing just that padding and hit your head on something. It does practically nothing for your safety.

Finally, the number of vents does not does not reflect a helmet's ability to absorb impact. Usually, as you increase the number/size of the vents, you also see the foam around those vents getting thicker to make up for it. Even though the Deviant has many more vents than the 661, it is still tested to (and surpasses) all the current standards. That means that during development, every location on the helmet is impacted against a variety of anvils (flat, curb shaped, and round) to certify the effectiveness of the helmet for any possible impact.

The reason you have standards is remove the subjective impressions of how safe a helmet "looks." People joke all the time about how frames look "flexy," but you should never have to judge a helmet's safety based solely on how it looks.
RE: dirtbike fit, I believe every "adult sized" dirtbike is about the same size right off the showroom floor, and at 5'9" I don't think you'll have any problems fitting a 125 2-stroke, 250 4-stroke, or even a 450 4-stroke.

2-strokes in general are just on the way out (Honda doesn't make ANY 2-stroke models anymore), but for a first dirtbike a 125 2-stroke would be a good way to go because they can be had on the CHEAP right now. You might also outgrow it in a season or two, and want something more. A 250 4-stroke would probably last you longer, and your skills and speed won't outgrow it as rapidly as a 125 2-stroke. Nearly everyone I know that started on a 125 2-stroke in the last few years found the bike to be grossly underpowered within a season of riding. The 250 4-stroke has a more managable torque than a 2-stroke, with an even power delivery across the entire range of the throttle. 2-strokes tend to have a bit of an "on or off" feeling with the throttle... but a lot of folks are 2-strokers for life because of that "HIT" when the powerband kicks in.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
More helmet info:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183558
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184360

I've worn both MX and DH helmets for DH, but always MX helmets for MX of course. I've had a couple of pretty bad crashes in both DH and MX helmets, and who knows which is more protective or better or what, the standards are kind of confusing.

One thing I tend to think about DOT helmets is this: the DOT rating seems to be created with a road motorcycle crash in mind: very high-speed on pavement, where you are likely to slide and not impact something like a rock or a tree. Different types of crashes require different types of protection. Even on a MX track, you don't have sharp pointy rocks to fall on like you do in DH. My thoughts are that if you are going as fast on your DH bike as you are on a moto, then the trail you are on is probably wide open and not a lot of trees and obstacles in your way. If you are on a trail with sharp pointy obstacles then you're going slower(ish) and you need a helmet that works for both.

Do I have the answer? Nah... just more questions. That being said I've been wearing a D2 composite for the last couple of seasons for DH and a TLD SE for MX. Both have protected me very well. I just replaced the D2 with a brand new D2 carbon, and I just called TLD to see about what standards the D2 Carbon meets... seems there is some speculation that the D2 composite meets the ASTM 1952 but the carbon version does not.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Considering a good MX helmet is in the $199+ range, thats a big bill
Just as a side note, good is a relative term. Safe helmets can be had for $50 - $100 bucks. Once you get over that price range you are paying mostly for features, not safety. Any SNELL M2000 helmet is at least as safe as SNELL says it needs to be, and any DOT helmet is at least as safe as the DOT says it needs to be, regardless of price. More expensive helmets are lighter (which may or may not be safer), provide more options, better venting, better graphics and colors, and might have a smaller shell size. Typically your $50 dollar moto helmet is last years large, ugly, totally out of style, DOT certified moto helmet.

Maybe the expensive helmets have some special über secret science to them that makes them safer than their base model counterparts, but I'm not totally convinced of that.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Just as a side note, good is a relative term. Safe helmets can be had for $50 - $100 bucks. Once you get over that price range you are paying mostly for features, not safety. Any SNELL M2000 helmet is at least as safe as SNELL says it needs to be, and any DOT helmet is at least as safe as the DOT says it needs to be, regardless of price. More expensive helmets are lighter (which may or may not be safer), provide more options, better venting, better graphics and colors, and might have a smaller shell size. Typically your $50 dollar moto helmet is last years large, ugly, totally out of style, DOT certified moto helmet.
Yup, and if your going to be using it for mountain biking, the lighter more vented helmet is the way to go. The $50 MX helmet is going to be heavy, huge (like an olive on a tooth pick!), and hot and incredibley uncomfortable for mountain bike riding because of this.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I tried using one helmet for both moto and DH racing for one season and the thing was absolutely worked. So no, my statement is not totally inaccurate. The more you wear it, if your riding both often, the more you sweat in it, the more you have to wash the pads, the more you take little diggers in it, the more you scratch, scuff, scrap the exterior, and the more chance for taking a hit that renders it needing replacement. If you destroy your one lid for two sports, you can't do much at all until you get a new lid. Considering a good MX helmet is in the $199+ range, thats a big bill, especially for a beginner rider who is going to be more prone to falling for the first few months of riding (both the MX and a MTB). I actually did use a MX helmet for DH, when I DH raced. So that is not my arguement. I feel that in this particular situation, a beginner rider would be better off having one helmet for each sport.
1. any good quality helmet will last years, taking the interior out and washing it will not make it break down unless you are washing it in gas.
2. there is no direct correlation with using the helmet for two sports and it not lasting. If YOU used a helmet for both sports and it didnt last, then you probably crashed on it. If you don't wreck onto your head then the helmet will last indefinitely. Thats all I am saying.
3. If the good mx helmet is in the 199+ range, then simple math tells us a good mx helmet plus a mtb helmet will be alot more than 199+

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
1. any good quality helmet will last years
Most people will tell you that you shouldn't keep any quality helmet for MTB or MX for years. Aside from needing to replace a helmet after any significant contact with the ground, or multiple little diggers, helmets have a shelf life. You shouldn't even use an XC helmet after 5 years (even if you never crashed in it) because the materials they are made of begin to degrade and aren't as strong. Any manufacturer will tell you that. So, keeping and using any DH or MX helmet for years is a pretty stupid idea, but it's your head so by all means feel free.

3. If the good mx helmet is in the 199+ range, then simple math tells us a good mx helmet plus a mtb helmet will be alot more than 199+
Hey, if you have a $50 head, use a $50 helmet. DH and MX are not cheap sports. The more money you put into your safety equipment now, the less you will spend in the long run on medical bills. You just have to decided when you want to invest the $$, now or later.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
yes that's true but a few years isn't as long as 5-6 years. Spending 2-300 on a safe helmet every 2 years or so is a good idea in my mind. That is ofcourse, without the fact you do need to replace it if you crash hard on it...that is a big if though. Personally, I prefer to ride dh without a helmet:brows:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Hey, if you have a $50 head, use a $50 helmet. DH and MX are not cheap sports. The more money you put into your safety equipment will save money in the long run on medical bills. You just have to decided when you want to invest the $$, now or later.
You are restating my point, which is spend more on a quality helmet instead of two cheaper helmets which 1. are not as safe and 2. cost you more money put together for less protection.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
You are restating my point, which is spend more on a quality helmet instead of two cheaper helmets which 1. are not as safe and 2. cost you more money put together for less protection.
Nope. I'm not advocating buying two cheap helmets. I don't ever advocating buying cheap helmets. I'm saying in my opinion having a helmet that is dedicated to each sport is the better option. Yes it costs more. Like I said, doing these sports isn't cheap. But, I have tried both options and personally found that there were benefits to having a helmet for each.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
ok, I can see that...I will agree to disagree. Either way, if you spend the money on proven helmets then each method will work out (ie: safe helmets)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ok, I can see that...I will agree to disagree. Either way, if you spend the money on proven helmets then each method will work out (ie: safe helmets)
It's all just different strokes for different folks. :)

And to the original poster, to stray from helmets for a moment, but in keeping with safety, the other vital piece of safety equipment that you should get before even throwing your leg over a dirt bike is a good set of boots. Don't be tempted to use your hiking boots even once! Best boots on the market for the money are Alpinestars Tech 6's (if these are just out of your price range, at minimum get some Tech 4's, still good, not quite the same durability). The Tech 6's are the best boot dollar for dollar. They also make a women's version of this boot called the stella. Same quality, different fit. They are stiff, and really last. Cheap boots rarely make it past a season without having some type of wear issue. Other safety equipment that should be invested in for MX are a good pair of knee cups, elbow guards, and a chest protector. Or get an under the jersey style "Jacket" like the dainese safety jacket or the 661 pressure suit. It all sounds like a lot, but if your just learning, you will lay the bike over and will be thankful that your wrapped in foam padding and plastic plates.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
It all sounds like a lot, but if your just learning, you will lay the bike over and will be thankful that your wrapped in foam padding and plastic plates.
Or you'll be like me and lay the bike over and wish you had taken the time and spent the money to wrap yourself in foam padding plastic plates.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Or you'll be like me and lay the bike over and wish you had taken the time and spent the money to wrap yourself in foam padding plastic plates.
Nothing speaks like experience! You can reinforce why it's so important to outfit yourself correctly from the start! Hope you weren't hurt too bad.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Nothing speaks like experience! You can reinforce why it's so important to outfit yourself correctly from the start! Hope you weren't hurt too bad.
Just lots of bumps, bruises, scrapes and the occasional burn. Oh and twisted ankles (get the boots)... Worst accident I had was on the street. Looking at my helmet post accident I decided that full faces will always be the hot ticket when it comes to motorcycles.

Of course, convincing people that are new to the sport that their money is better spent on protective equipment first, and then a bike (motor or non) after is incredibly hard.

Well, I'll toss my $.02 into the ring. I used to wear a Giro MadMaxII. Broke the chin bar on one and cracked the top on the other. I also got three really good concussions too.

After the last one, I stepped up and bought a TLD SE MX helmet. It's not too much heavier, not AS ventilated, but I can say it's kept me from getting at least two more concussions. It's about time for a new lid and you can bet I'll be getting another MX helmet.

For XC/trail riding, I wear a Giro Xen.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
At 5'9" you will have zero problems finding a bike that fits. Like mentioned before, a 125 2 stroke is going to be roughly the same size as a 250 and a 450 4 stroke. I had to have mine lowered 1.75 inches, and have soft springs and re-valving done to get mine to fit. I can barely get the toes down now. If I only rode desert, I could have left the height stock and just done springs and the re-valve, but I spend a lot of time in the woods. A 250r 4 stroke would be a good bike for you as it is very managable in the woods, and great for the track. Some people will tell you it's too much bike to start on, but I don't really agree with that. As long as you keep it stock for awhile it will be pretty tame.
Thats good then, i thought it was going to be a nightmare finding the correct size at an affordable price. Thats what i would be looking for, good in the woods and great on the track too, so it might be worth looking at the 250's aswell then.

RE: dirtbike fit, I believe every "adult sized" dirtbike is about the same size right off the showroom floor, and at 5'9" I don't think you'll have any problems fitting a 125 2-stroke, 250 4-stroke, or even a 450 4-stroke.

2-strokes in general are just on the way out (Honda doesn't make ANY 2-stroke models anymore), but for a first dirtbike a 125 2-stroke would be a good way to go because they can be had on the CHEAP right now. You might also outgrow it in a season or two, and want something more. A 250 4-stroke would probably last you longer, and your skills and speed won't outgrow it as rapidly as a 125 2-stroke. Nearly everyone I know that started on a 125 2-stroke in the last few years found the bike to be grossly underpowered within a season of riding. The 250 4-stroke has a more managable torque than a 2-stroke, with an even power delivery across the entire range of the throttle. 2-strokes tend to have a bit of an "on or off" feeling with the throttle... but a lot of folks are 2-strokers for life because of that "HIT" when the powerband kicks in.
Ok thankyou, so by the sounds of it, its worth looking at both the 125's and the 250's now.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Actually that may not be an accurate answer. The companies are not required to post thier test results. No one knows how any helmet does in the test. Their have been rumors and i stress rumors for years that one of the cheap helmet companys helmets do as well in the tests as the big names, and there are a couple expensive big name companies helmets that barely past the test.

Don't confuse $ with protection. You're paying for weight, looks, and marketing with the the higher end brands.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I'm debating upon whether to buy a DH helmet or moto x helmet.

I just got 2 concusions going around 30-35mph. What I'm unsure of is if 30-35mph is considered high speeds. I know a mx helmet will take fast, hard hits better, and I did hit hard, the one time I was knocked out.

So basically I'm using a 661 bravo..., which I'm done with, I need a new helmet not sure which one to get.

Suggestions please.