Quantcast

Using Strava for usage analysis?

I'm on the board of a non-profit that conserves more than 1,000 acres of land. Historically we have kept our trails off the map and most trail maintenance is performed by a few mountain bikers.

One of our founders recently developed a hard-on based on his belief that MTB is growing in the area and that hundreds (rather than maybe ten) of riders are set up to invade our lands.

Said founder presented heat maps zoomed in to the property to underscore his assertion.

If one looks at a larger scale on a larger scale, say from Huntingdon to Middlebury, we are not visible save faintly for runners.

Is there any way to filter Strava for information such as usage per day? I suspect that they can do it internally, but I have no inside people to ask.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not really sure about Strava, but Trailforks definitely can do that and you can retrieve the information very easily.

Trailforks obviously doesn't have the same user base as Strava, but its a start..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Actually, I should correct myself. If the trails/riding area aren't in Trailforks, it will make it harder to generate usage reports for that specific area. You'd have to go up to whatever the parent region/city is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I thought if you were a subscribed member in Strava you could check a segment and see what the times were for that day (if people have their data "public"). That could be a way to get the metric required on usage.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Strava heat maps are good indicators for use. But what % of users are logging their data? Heat maps that are zoomed in lose alot of the volume of use context.

I used to make little strava segments on my trails. From the desktop Strava platform you can look at daily use by segment but it's not that intuitive to get there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I thought if you were a subscribed member in Strava you could check a segment and see what the times were for that day (if people have their data "public"). That could be a way to get the metric required on usage.
Yep, there’s an idiot riding backwards on one of our one way downhill segments, also removing and defacing the signs, and I created a backwards running, walking and riding segment to match it and it quickly revealed who was doing the dangerous wrong way riding.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
further, if you click on the "year" it will show you at the bottom of the screen the total number of users for that year. the "today" line just appears if someone has ridden it on the particular day that you are accessing that segment, so in a way it is "live" (i.e., if no on has ridden that segment on the day you are looking at it, it will not appear).