Quantcast

Using tire levers for tubeless

teedubb

Chimp
Jan 16, 2018
I’ve heard it’s not recommended - is it just because of the potential to mess the bead up?

I can’t imagine getting my tires on without them. No matter how much soapy water I use, you can only push and pull so much.

teedubb

Chimp
Jan 16, 2018
My only concern is they have a tendency to come in contact with rim tape on a tubeless set up and possibly compromise the seal

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It F-s up the tape in my experience, especially when you have just set the tape and it's not as well sealed, but some of the tubeless tires are so freaking tight there appears to be no other way to get them on, then you end up using tire levers that scrape the tape when you pry the damn things on.

That said, I've gotten much better at it over the years and once a tire is mounted it usually loosens up some. Some of the tire-rim combinations were invented satan though and you have to resort to things like using the heat-gun/hair-drier on the tire to get it to expand some, lots of soap and water, mechanix gloves to pull the bead over, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The fat wheels are so wide you can use your foot, but there’s a special trick to that too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't remember, it was so long ago. That was before I got all "AM" like, I think I had the Matrix on my specialized hardrock or something when I must killed the original. I thought I had a badass bike too, because it was a 1995 or so hardrock ULTRA, got some sweet stuff on it like an LX derailleur and some wicked Scott bars. I remember those parts. I also remember grey specialized tires that looked tits, they don't make em like they used to.

Not long after I got my first FS and then started getting heavier duty stuff with, moving to dual crowns, mammoth rims, tioga DH tires, etc.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The no tire lever statement stems from OG UST rim and tire combos. There it was mandatory to not use them, otherwise the air would never stay inside. The shop I used to work during university sold a lot of high end racing stuff, the owner was an ex-pro and his brother still is a pro roadie. I remember carbon wheels, where we had to wrestle as a tag team to get the tires on without a lever...

Michelin C16 and Mavic D321 were also a PITA some time. The trick was always to get the tire beads centered in the rims channel and start opposite the vent.

With modern rims and folding bead tires I never have any difficulties getting the tires on and off without a lever.