Quantcast

using XP OS recovery CD, but customizing?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Got a new PC with only a recovery CD. I thought I could customize the install, but it's loading everything all over again after the format... even AOL. :mumble: :mad: :mumble: :mad: :mumble:

Can I somehow force the recovery CD to go into customize mode?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Generally, no. Recovery CDs are essentially install "images" that reload whatever was OEM on your computer.

I assume you did not get a simple OS CD with the computer? If that's the case, you're stuck. However, if you have a valid Windows XP CD Key, you'd be perfectly justified in making a copy of a friend's Windows XP CD. Just make sure you're getting the right version - either Pro or Home - and use your own CD key with it.

It's possible the OEM key will only work with the OEM Windows version, though. You CAN call Microsoft and obtain another key - just tell them you lost yours, and they'll note down your name and address and issue you a new one. Don't go giving the new one out, though, since it's got your name attached to it.

That's all if you want to do it legally, of course.

J

JRB

I think you will find that AOL will be in places you can't imagine. Outside of that, you should be fine. I am sure there are places on the Internet that will tell you what keys to edit to smoke AOL though. Enough people hate it enough that I am sure it is there. The info that is.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
thanks bro!

I went ahead and started uninstalling all the junk I don't want. Is that enough?
Yep.

When you're finished uninstalling everything, I recommend using a disk and registry cleaning utility such as the ones included in TuneUp Utilities 2006 (www.tune-up.com). That will wipe most of the residual garbage off your drive and out of your registry.

You can also take a quick glance at your Program Files directory to see if there are any obvious directories that you don't need (e.g. you uninstalled America Online, but there's still an America Online directory in there - often the uninstaller won't wipe out the whole directory or all the files inside).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
I think you will find that AOL will be in places you can't imagine. Outside of that, you should be fine. I am sure there are places on the Internet that will tell you what keys to edit to smoke AOL though. Enough people hate it enough that I am sure it is there. The info that is.
I'm in marketing, I understand the need to promote your product, but I was offended that I actually had to say no to trying the AOL trial *before* I could finish the initial boot-up. :mumble: :mumble: