Quantcast

UST 1st timer

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, Im ordering a new wheelset. Im getting Hadleys in 823s. Im going to try UST. This is going to be a trail wheelset for me so I need a lighter UST tire. Ive never really looked into UST tires. I want something around a 2.3-2.5 around 1000grams. No single plys. Any ideas?

To bad the Kenda Nevegals DH in a 2.3 isn't UST.... They are about 1100g

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't think there are many UST tires like you described. Off the top of my head, Maxxis High Rollers (I think they make the UST ones in a few sizes) and Conti Vertical Pros (a 2.3, but more like a 2.2 or wide 2.1). Also the Conti Deisel (2.5) might work. Micheliins would work but I think are more like 1200+ grams.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I run Minion DHF 2.7/2.5 on my Azonic Outlaw wheelset. I run these at the resorts. I dont mind beating the wheelset.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I'm using UST for one year and can devide my expirience in before and after Stan's No Tubes. Whatever tire you decide to use, use No Tubes.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I run UST Minions on my Outlaws and those work fine. I've heard that the Kenda's have thin sidewalls but have no experience to back that up. I'd say you're fine iwht just about anything as long as you have enough fluid in there to seal up tiny leaks.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I will definately run a sealant if I get the 823s... probably Stans.

I keep hearing you are not suppose to run Stans with Kendas.

Im starting to think I should just get 729s instead and stick with tubes. I had one flat last year and NONE this year. Well, I take that back. I had a slow leaker and a flat in the garage, but I never flatted on the trail.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...did I mention that I'm selling a Minion DHF UST 2.5 (never mounted) in the "Components" section, and that they weigh about 1300g a piece?

Did I also mention I'm a filthy whore?...

:blah:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, what they said, use Stans. It's good stuff. I've been using UST (Mavic/conti combination) for over 1.5 years and I've gotten 2 flats and one of them was 2 days ago. I'm still skeptical of using it for DH (rims getting beat, I like reeeeallly low pressure) but for XC, it's the ticket.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
do a search; there was a long-ass thread on this topic this summer. also on mtbr.com's tire forum there were some similar threads.

specialized enduro D2 2.4 inchers are much bigger footprint than most maxxis tires (maxxis rhymes with liars) and have a medium weight (NOT downhill) sidewall and good traction. i have mine on 823 rims and they mount and pump up very easily---any hand pump will work---and they are so air tight that i don't need to f&ck around with stan's latex and instead can use just a small amount of the motocross version of slime (has the bits of rubber floating in it) in case i get a tear.

there were some UST hutch 2.5 octopus tires mentioned in that thread.

also, if you're not really doing a lot of uphill pedalling, a common choice is to use a michelin downhill tire on the 823 rim.

stan's latex is starting to seem like the old-school (obsolete?) choice these days. more frequently---at least when i'm talking to people who are constantly looking for the best setup---the trend has been toward a tire casing that doesn't leak, a UST rim, and a small amount of non-latex sealant (avoids the issues that stan's has when exposed to temperature extremes). the other trend i've seen is toward Maxxis tubeless rim strips rather than the stan's strips.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
No problems with the UST Highrollers on 823's with no sealent. I put those wheels through a bit of abuse with only 20-25psi in the rear and 15-20 up front. Never burped or lost tire pressure during a run. Just gotta pump em up before each ride.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Specialized D2s seem like a really popular choice. Micchie's doing a 2.5 UST trail tire, too, I think, and Tioga has some (sort of rare) Blue Dragons in 2.3 UST (and a Tioga 2.3 is NICE and fat...). Blue dragons are a great trail tire in my use of the 2.1 non-UST versions...might get the USTs for my Prophet if I ever manage to build it.

Micchie DH tires have worked for me as 'trail tires' used as UST, too, but they are a tad heavier than I (or you) would like.

MD

Edit: The Micchie trail tire is indeed the 2.5 Mountain XTreme (Extreme!! Oh, yeah!!!) in gorgeous red. I'd rock it if someone gave me one cheap or free...they turn a nice pink after a roll in the dust. And I kind of like 'deliberately ugly' stuff that works really well.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I've run all kinds of tires on 823's for the last 3 years, all tubeless with Stan's. The most reliable are the standard maxxis dual ply tires, but they are heavy. There is no such thing as a 2.3-2.5 dual ply tire under 1000g, you're dreaming. However, I am currently rolling the Specialized Enduro 2bliss 2.4 and they ride great. Thick sidewall to prevent poke holes and they weigh 980g. Give em a try.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On the heavy, beefy side, Michelin 24.1s work really well and come in a 2.2 (mine are really on the big side of 2.3), and a 2.5.

Then there's the trail tire that's already been mentioned.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I have ben using 2.3 Kenda Kinetics non UST tires with Stans for over a year now with no problems. Come to think of it I have never run UST tires. I don't like the added weight.

Save weight by using non UST and a couple of scoops of Stans, and run any tire you want.

BTW, this even worked with the Maxxis Flyweights, and they have a super thin sidewall.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ordered 729s. Ill stick with tubes and run the Kenda 2.3 DH stick E. They are dual ply and pretty light at around 1100. There just isn't enought UST tires yet.

I would get the UST and run Maxxis Minions but the UST Minions and Highrollers are all ST and 1300-1400 grams. I dont want to run Super Tacky heavy tires for trail. Thanks for all the info.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
snoopz666 said:
so i have a question, should i run something like stans if i run ust tires on a ust rim?
i thought i already covered that in my post. :nope:

the answer is Yes. put something in there to deal with punctures.

as i've said, i'm not the only one I know who is no longer using Stan's latex sealant and has gone to the tubeless Slime you get cheap at a motocross shop.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Your UST Wheel is the better route if your getting a whole new set......Itll hold the tire on the bead better... when you fill it up youll hear it snap into place.... Now as far a teh tire Run whatever tire you want to run..... 2 Oz stans and ya got your ust tire were most 2.35 ust will outweigh a 2.5 with stans sealant.... And yes if your running Ust tires you want some type of Sealant.... patching a Ust on teh trail is crappy and a Pain... i run the Full stans setup on my Single track SL1's and at 25 Lbs i dont have any troubles... Good luck to ya
________
ShyGuy2 cam

Last edited: