Quantcast

UST Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 42a ST - Convincing Maxxis to bring them to the U.S.

Would you like to see Maxxis bring the 2.7"UST Minion DHF 42aST to the U.S. for sale?

• Yes, I would love to see Maxxis sell the 2.7" UST Minion DHF 42a ST here in the U.S.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • No, I don't need a tire like this.

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
O.K., so while I was looking through the Tubeless thread that Claus started I came across this post by Chris Kring:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189877

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2702152&postcount=25

2.7 DHF UST is avaliable in Europe. Iron Horse (skatadd) spec'd them OEM a couple of year ago for us sales.

I'd love to have some. Is anyone else interested? If so, I'll try to get Maxxis to import some if there is enough demand.
So, here are the advantages to a 2.7 UST tire vs. a 2.5":

1. Larger air volume = ability to drop PSI a bit more for traction
2. Larger tread means better grip over a 2.5"
3. Slightly taller sidewalls + larger air volume = less chance of rim dents.
4. It's UST, so no extra rotational weight from tubes.

The 2.7" UST Minion is currently only available in Europe... How many people would be interested in seeing Maxxis bring the 2.7 UST Minion DHF, 42a Super Tacky tire to the States?

Show of hands?

:biggrin:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont think that those tires are even available in europe anymore. i did see some at a bike shop in indonesia tho.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
This is what I thought as well, but Chris Kring has some connections with Maxxis that are more up to date than mine, and he says that not only does Maxxis still make the UST 2.7" Minion DHF but, you can get them at certain online shops in Europe too.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I've always run a front 2.7 minion and I was thinking about moving to tubeless for 08 but the only downside I found was there was no 2.7 UST minions anywhere. I would definitely love to see them in the U.S

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
i dont think the 2.5's are big enough, i would by the 2.7's

i had the 2.5's and they measured 2.35from outside tread block to tread block

also had some 2.3 single ply minons for the 4x bike, they measure barely 2.0

they are great tires but the "2.5" is to small for some conditions. i love it on the back though.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I would be way more stoked to see a) WetScreams, and b) 2.35 Minion 2plys. I have never felt like I need anything more than a 2.5 and I'm 235lbs!

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
They are available in Europe, but no one buys them, because 2.5 are big enough and the 2.7 are just extra weight
But Wetscreams are sometimes really necessary

actualy my 2.7 3C Minions are lighter than my 2.5 3C Minions...go figure

also wetscreams would be awesome to have in the US

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I'd do it. I like to run 2.5s, and lets face it, thats pretty much what a maxxis "2.7" is.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Weird how the 2.5 and 2.7 3C Minion F tries weigh about the same. I had a few sets this year and they all weighed within 30g of each other, with some of the 2.5s being a little heavier than the 2.7s.
About the 2.7 UST Minions, one of my team mates ran these tires all season.
He has sponsorship with Maxxis, maybe this is why he had no problem getting ahold of them?
I'd rather see 3C UST Minions myself..
I do really wish they would bring back the 2.35 2 ply tires, I love the 2.35 High Roller/ 2.5 Minion F combo.
For the rougher courses 2.5 HR / 2.7 Minion F seems perfect.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=124

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. I have been riding my Maxxis SI tires in the 4" version all weekend. (That would be my MX bike)

Anyway, it looks like Chain Reaction doesn't have them anymore. A couple of months ago they still had them in stock. Like the links above show, you can get UST DHF and DHR in 60D, UST 2.5 Swamp things and UST 2.5 Wet Screams.

I'll talk to Maxxis within the next couple of weeks to see if they are willing to make a one time buy or if they would import them and sell the whole lot to me to distribute on a group purchase. No promises other than I'll ask.