Quantcast

UST Rims

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Looking for a new set of wheels and thinking 823's, they are a bit porky altho I do want something really strong.

What other proper UST rims are available, I really can't think of any!

Rim suggestions only please as I'm a sucker for Hope hubs and don't really fancy anything proprietary e.g. Deemax, tho they do look damn fine!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Stans ZTR flow though not sure if they are per se ust rims or just come with a stans conversion kit (imho converted rims burp air a bit easier).

As for 823 - I love them. Ive just finished building my 2nd wheelset (was 2x syncros hubs now rear hope and front deetrax hub with better bearings - 10g lighter than the hope and cheaper). Im light though Im a hack so I go threw rims guide fast (my old school 04 deemax rims looked really bad fast though I was only learning than). Now the only dent in my previous rear 823 was landing short on a 3.5m drop in winterberg. Its still very small, the rim is still intact (my father uses it and it holds air perfectly). I didnt even get a flat then. 823 FTW.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Stans ZTR flow though not sure if they are per se ust rims or just come with a stans conversion kit (imho converted rims burp air a bit easier).

As for 823 - I love them. Ive just finished building my 2nd wheelset (was 2x syncros hubs now rear hope and front deetrax hub with better bearings - 10g lighter than the hope and cheaper). Im light though Im a hack so I go threw rims guide fast (my old school 04 deemax rims looked really bad fast though I was only learning than). Now the only dent in my previous rear 823 was landing short on a 3.5m drop in winterberg. Its still very small, the rim is still intact (my father uses it and it holds air perfectly). I didnt even get a flat then. 823 FTW.
Stans ZTR are in fact true UST rims and do not require a conversion kit.

That said they are not as tough as an 823 but lighter of course, I would go with 823's unless your smooth rider or lighter in weight.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Should have said, sorry. Already got a pair of Flows for lighter duties. Very impressed with them but on some tracks they are defo a niggle in the back of my mind.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Stans ZTR are in fact true UST rims and do not require a conversion kit.
stan's are not "ust" they require a rim strip and/or tape... is just comes installed if you order from notubes.com

crank bro opium/sage wheels are UST, as are the mavic deemax, but the 823 is about the only off the shelf rim that is TRULY ust.

most dh rims are convertible FWIW with tape/rim strip.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
stan's are not "ust" they require a rim strip and/or tape... is just comes installed if you order from notubes.com

crank bro opium/sage wheels are UST, as are the mavic deemax, but the 823 is about the only off the shelf rim that is TRULY ust.

most dh rims are convertible FWIW with tape/rim strip.
Yeah but many if not all converted rims hold pressure much worse than the stocks ones and Im pretty sure its harder to run very low pressures on them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Mavic coined the UST term since they developed the rim to bead interface. (Pre-dating all sealants...) Technically the 823 is the only downhill UST rim out there... All other rims are tubeless compatible at best.

Every other "rim" comes in a wheelset... Handbuilt? 823.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
823 for the win of best rim ever. Well best compromise of all desired outcomes, strong(enough),lihg(enough), wide(enough), tubeless. 721 for everything else. Although I run an old single track front on my trail bike, but I'm a feather weight. Will whack a stans on it next. But for DH 823.Ive not tried anything else though, as the 823 seems to tick all boxes.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
EX721 rim: 577g
Stans DH Rim Strip: 147g
Stans Sealant: 30g
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5″ 42a: 1300g

Total weight: 2054g

EX823 rim: 662g
EX823 spoke inserts: 54g
EX825 Valve Core: 5g

Total weight: 2021g

Add sealant in the 823 and they are on par.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I used a ZTR Flow wheel set for my all the time wheel set last year. They held up great until i tried landing on the edge of a large square rock going fast. That kind of sucked. Destroyed the rear wheel. The way i hit the rock it was not the rims fault. I would like to see any rim stand up to the shot i gave that thing. I am planing on building up a race wheel set they year with them.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I install a lot of tubeless setups at the shop and Stans are just as easy to set up a wheel tubeless as UST. One thing is for sure Mavic UST's are harder to build a wheel. All those threaded nipple carriers that need to be loctited in place with the nip and not being able to use a spoke driver pretty much double wheel building time. Taping a rim and dropping a valve in are simple compared to all that.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

you're doing it wrong. :D I have the schrader valve 'freeride' stan's rubber strips, which are plenty wide enough for my DT FR600 rims. Strip weight: 71 grams. total weight of rim + strip: 671 grams. Where'd you get that 147 g number? that would be the weight of two strips, not one.

Meanwhile, the 823 (at least mine that I've weighed) end up at 750 grams w/ inserts and valve. But have an inner width almost 2 mm narrower than the DT FR600s, yet are almost 160 heavier per wheelset.

I still have a set of hadley / 823s and consider the 823 a good rim (although not indestructible, at least for someone my size), and don't really lust after the narrower version used in the current deemaxes, but i wish mavic would take a look at the success of Stan's rims in the xc and AM markets and realize they need a different approach.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Your 823 weights are off, and the 721 does not take a DH rim strip.....and running the 823 dry is certainly debatable.

Either way, they are close. There are benefits to either, and detractions to both.

edit: did not see the other responses, so I am a bit redundant Sorry.

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I used a ZTR Flow wheel set for my all the time wheel set last year. They held up great until i tried landing on the edge of a large square rock going fast. That kind of sucked. Destroyed the rear wheel. The way i hit the rock it was not the rims fault. I would like to see any rim stand up to the shot i gave that thing. I am planing on building up a race wheel set they year with them.
Same altho my rear Flow is slowly dying instead of outright dead, I've caused the same damage to 721's as I did to the Flow on that drop.

I ran them at Fort William a couple of weekends ago and I just had this constant niggle (for obvious reasons, they are damn light) so wanna build up something that I can forget about.

Deemax ultimate's look perfect just wish they were available seprately :(

I'm so over 721's at the min, my first pair were ace but quality has seemed really down the last few I've had, so much so that I took apart an old D521 I had and built it up as a rear wheel, held up far better than the newer 721's :confused:

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more proper UST rims tho.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
mavic and rigida are the only "ust" brand rimss. they invented the terminology and "standard", and do not license the rim tech portion of it out.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
^^I weighed a DeeMax rim without eyelets and it came in at 630 grams.

*And if I remember correctly my 823 without eyelets was 660. The eyelets on the DeeMax are a little smaller so you save some weight there too.

Last edited: