Quantcast

Ust tires advice...

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Hi
Need advice on ust tire with mavic 823 rims. I'm running maxxis minion DHF ust tire for cuple of years now and riding on agressive and rocky dh trail. After countless snake bites :mad: I was thinking of buying maybe a michelin ust tires (Michelin Mountain Xtrem Tubeless) or something similar to maxxis UST that has better "snakebite resistance" ??? What ust tire would you recommend for dry rocky terrain on mavic 823?
Maybe maxxis DHF is best there is; I don't have any experience with other UST tires..:confused:
thnx

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Maxxis minion dhr in the rear, dhf front. Super tacky... I did manage to get a side wall puncture in the dhf though.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hutchinson Barracudas are harder than maxxis but a bit heavier and roll similarly to HR (imho worse traction on higher speed than DHF). If you tear your tires often use more pressure for rocky trails or just learn to pick your lines. I tore 2 tires in 2 years, once due to too low pressure, second time due to a hardcore crash.

BTW. I didn't know you could get snakebites on ust. Maybe you need to take the tube out ;)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The Michelin is not in any way a DH tire, they do not currently make a DH tire, although the old comp 24 could have been a good tire to look at if you can still find one.

Look around this site, there have been LOTS of people reporting pinch-flats with the 823 as it has such a stiff and strong sidewalls. More often than not, the flats involve the Maxxis UST tires. They have a different construction than the standard Maxxis DH tires and lack the anti-pinch flat reinforcement that is in the non UST Maxxis DH tires.

If you like the Maxxis tires, I would suggest the non-UST version of their tires. The Highroller and DHF are my usual choices from maxxis...and yes I run them tubeless.

I would also suggest upping your tire pressure to provide a bit more protection and let the knobs and soft tire compound provide your traction rather than low air pressure.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Michelin makes an awesome DH tire that I have run tubless on 823's for two years. Look at the DH 16 AT its worked great for me.

I use it for everything. Whistler, the shore, Mt 7 in Golden.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've had tremendous luck on 823's with both Michelin and Hutchinson tires. Like others have said Michelin is not currently making DH tires but if you can find some Comp 24s or Comp 16s that's a good choice, the Comp 16 doesn't roll fast but is good in mud and mulchy conditions, the Comp 24 rolls faster and has a similar tread to the old Hot S and the Mountain Xtreme though I hated those latter 2 tires and they're not DH casing either. I've run both the Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 and old Octopus 2.5 (very big 2.5 more like a 2.7) with luck. Only tire I ever damaged (knock on wood) on the 823 was an old Michelin Comp 32 (that's a 2.8 tire and a bit wide for the 823) though I did damage a foldable Hutchinson Barracuda 2.1 on my trail bike but on a 819 UST rim not 823.

I could never get the Maxxis non-UST tires to air up on the 823 tubeless so I gave up. I've heard that the Maxxis UST tires do not have strong sidewalls but I've never tried one.

BTW, since I ride mostly mountains in New England and as the current weather pattern of 25 days with rain over the past month indicates rolling resistance for DH is not a great concern of mine all the tires I mention (except the Comp 24) are great in the mud and soft stuff. When I went out to Colorado/Utah last year I switched to Hutchinson Piranha tires which roll very fast but have virtually no center knobs.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
I have had the Best luck with Michelin Comp 24's and also a comp 32 up front (but a little too big for 832's)

DONT RUN NON UST TIRES, THAT'S A BUNCH of web form BS. They will not work as good, and mounting is a pain!

I have been testing the new ARROW RACING ramped Bite UST 2.5.
It is sweet!!!!! Maybe not as sticky as MAXXIS but the knobs do not roll over on hardpack. I thick this is my new favoritre DH tire. High quality. I have tried alot of tires!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
DONT RUN NON UST TIRES, THAT'S A BUNCH of web form BS. They will not work as good, and mounting is a pain!

WOW, that is news to me.

Single ply Mich, single ply Maxxis, standard DH Maxxis and Mich DH tires(the later bieng the ONLY UST tires I have ever used)...have all worked perfect tubeless for me for the last 5 or 6 years......

BTW, not much use in continually recomending a tire that has not been made for over a year and has not been available through any distributor for 6 - 9 months....

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Your best bet is to run regular Maxxis 3C tires with a scoop of stans in each wheel. The UST Maxxis tires are prone to snake biting when run with the sharp edged 823 rims. 3Cs are the solution to your problem.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
WOW, that is news to me.

Single ply Mich, single ply Maxxis, standard DH Maxxis and Mich DH tires(the later bieng the ONLY UST tires I have ever used)...have all worked perfect tubeless for me for the last 5 or 6 years......

BTW, not much use in continually recomending a tire that has not been made for over a year and has not been available through any distributor for 6 - 9 months....
So you just mount non-ust minion dhf on the 823 rim, and fill it with tyre sealant and that's it?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
WOW, that is news to me.
hahaha me too

ironically the only UST tire I've ever used in the past 4 or years of running tubeless was the Maxxis UST tires, which all but 1 have cuts in the bead and can't be used tubeless anymore. I've run normal DH Kenda and Maxxis tires as tubeless without any issue for the entire life of the tires.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
So you just mount non-ust minion dhf on the 823 rim, and fill it with tyre sealant and that's it?
yep, just install it like you would a ust tire, throw in some sealant and you're good to go.

read the instructions on Stans No Tube site if you haven't already for sealing tires.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Currently 721s on one bike, DT 5.1s on the other...but yes, little sealant with non-UST tires has worked great for me for 5+ years. Occasionally a tire needs a compressor to seat...occasionally one leaks for a couple minutes around the bead or needs a few pumps if the bike has not been ridden for a few weeks. But if you mount and seat properly...then spin then to distibute the sealant for a few minutes, they have worked great for me.

If was changing tires a LOT (few times a day), I might think about going back to tubes, but after a total of two flats of any kind on two bikes in 5+ years...it is more than enough benefit for me.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Currently 721s on one bike, DT 5.1s on the other...but yes, little sealant with non-UST tires has worked great for me for 5+ years. Occasionally a tire needs a compressor to seat...occasionally one leaks for a couple minutes around the bead or needs a few pumps if the bike has not been ridden for a few weeks. But if you mount and seat properly...then spin then to distibute the sealant for a few minutes, they have worked great for me.

If was changing tires a LOT (few times a day), I might think about going back to tubes, but after a total of two flats of any kind on two bikes in 5+ years...it is more than enough benefit for me.
That's great solution, think I will try minion dhf 3c on my 823... thnx for the advice :thumb:

Last edited:

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
823 + dhf super tacky non tubeless 2ply
823 + highroller super tacky non tubeless 2ply
+ 1dl of Joe's Sealant in each tire WORKS PERFECTLY:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Only down side is that I had to use the compressor because floor pump wasn't powerful enough for that first time pump :think: