Quantcast

UST wet/mud tires?

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I've been riding a 2.1 Hutchinson scorpion in the front, but the tire is getting pretty worn, resulting in numerous skin-scraping falls... In the back I have a 2.0 Hutchinson Coyote (non-ust, it was what I had lying around after my python tubeless collapsed), but wanted to buy an ust tire.

What setup do you suggest for winter ridding? (By winter riding I mean mostly slippery mud, followed by some wet gravel and the occasional clay).

I was looking for a 2.1-2.3 fr tire (maybe a Scorpion 2.3?) and a 2.0-2.2 rear, and have no problems mixing models or brands.

I ride "aggressively" and I favor braking performance and overall traction over rolling resistance and ultimate weight gains.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
the way I see it, is that all tires suck (or don't actually) in the mud, I have had good fortune with the Mosquito when things are a little damp, not sure if you get a UST version though. The scorpion may be a good option.

It would appear that winter in your neck of the woods is a tad different than winter in mine. In Maine, we don't ask what tire. We just ask what tire has the most studs.

But to address your question, Geax makes some interesting UST rubber. The "Barro Mud" is a narrow 26x 1.7. And from my experience, narrow is better when the mud season hits up here. But if control and durability in most conditions is more important, the "Sedona" (26x2.0) would be my pick. Geax rates their "Blade" (26x1.85) as the best tire in all conditions. I wouldn't know, I have only sold the Sedona and a couple of others at this point.

The one thing I am impressed with regarding GEAX. They seem to have brought some durability back into high-end off road rubber. About time.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Still liking my Fire XC Pro UST even in deep mud and snow I still get good traction. I actually use the same tires year round with no major problems.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
I have no access to Geax tires, the most common brands around here are Michelin, Hutchinson, Maxxis, Continental and Schwalbe.

The need for bigger tires is due to kind of riding I do. I ride somewhat "aggressively" and less than 2.0 tires simply don't cut it. Hence the search for 2.1-2.3 in the front and 2.0-2.2 in the back.

Thanks all for the answers and keep the suggestions coming :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The more and more i think about mud tires the more and more simple it becomes. Get and aggressive tread where the knobbies are spread out enough so that the mud can shed.

I run kevlar bead, 2.1 Panaracer Smoke Classic in the back, and in the front just a 2.3 Specialized Roller Pro. I live in the Pac N.W. and i ride in all elements with them, and i do fine.

I'm sure there is a wider tire that works in mud better, dh racers round here all have their own favorites. Makes sense a wider tire will do well. But since you want something for all around trail riding........

i've run the weirwolves and indeed they are an excellent tire, but they do not shed mud well in the interior section of tread.