Quantcast

UT Gboxx 2 price

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'm tossing up using a gboxx in the frame I've been designing for a while or a geared 1/2 toroidal cvt I've designed.

If the Gboxx is sufficiently cheap, I'd go that purely to speed up my development timeline.

I searched and found gboxx 1 pricing at around $850eu, but apparently the gboxx 2 is quite a bit cheaper. Anyone have a price? I emailed UT's but it appears the don't like replying.

gotboost

Chimp
Mar 15, 2007
The Hub (Rohloff) inside the G-boxx 1 spends around 850€.
The hole thing costs nearly 2000€.
In your Price-Range i would go for the SR-Suntour V-Boxx, or write a E-Mail to Nicolai, they have plenty of Gboxx 1&2.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Just buy a shimano or sram or sturmey archer hub and hack it up. They're only about $100.
Thought about this. I can't believe they are so heavy for an 8 speed when a rohloff's around the same for 14speed.

Given what that bloke ^ said, might be the best option. $1400usd for a gearbox and cranks is a bit rich I reckon.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Thought about this. I can't believe they are so heavy for an 8 speed when a rohloff's around the same for 14speed.

Given what that bloke ^ said, might be the best option. $1400usd for a gearbox and cranks is a bit rich I reckon.
The Rohloff is a 7x2 instead of 8x1 (or is it 7x1? I forget); there is noticeable drag in gears 1-7 from the reduction gearset. That's why it's about the same weight.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
The Rohloff is a 7x2 instead of 8x1 (or is it 7x1? I forget); there is noticeable drag in gears 1-7 from the reduction gearset. That's why it's about the same weight.
Understand.

Just got an email back from Nicolai. Are you ready? Sitting down?........1562eu. If I'm going to get violated by the Germans I'd at least like to get paid for it.

I've been looking at the SRAM p5 and SA s5 hubs which are about 1200g. What do you reckon about having 225% (I think) spread over 5 gears for a dh bike? They are bloody dirt cheap these things and very small.

Can you use anything other than the crappy twist shifter's they come with? I was thinking hooking up a digital micro servo and controlle to provide push button shifting.