Quantcast

Utah bike selection

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Hello I am gonna be in utah over spring break on a 1 week xc trip goin about 20 to 30 miles a day. More of a fun trip than a gut buster. I have already decided to single speed it my next delima is my single speed is full rigid. I ride it on local trails (PNW) and it isn't bad just takes a watch full eye. I have rode trails like show me the money in utah and that would be retarded with out front suspension are all the trails like that and I should reconsider my bike selection?? I am in no way against gears or suspension I love my DH rig. When i am ridding XC I am pretty mellow so I don't need 27 gears I am usualy just taking it in but the trails here are not excesively rocky either.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Where are you going in Utah? Fwiw, I've only been to Moab. If you're going there, Slickrock would be great on a rigid ss. If you're riding anywhere else, front suspension will be key.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It all depends on where you're riding. Southern Utah (moab, st. george) you can generally be all right on a a rigid ss (relatively smooth, no long sustained climbs). However, if you're riding up by Salt Lake in the Wasatch, a rigid SS would be a very painful affair. Huge sustained climbs with lots of rocks and roots. Unless you're a complete hammerhead stud, I'd recommend at least front suspension, with a slight consideration for gears ;)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
The Moab locals consider a 5&5 bike to be 'Moab XC'. Basically, the rocks will will get to you after a while, and you'll want 5 inches in the rear and a 5 inch fork. This could be argued, but in all honesty, that's a perfect Moab all-rounder that will allow you to have maximum fun.

There are areas that SS's would be fine. Behind the rocks, klondike bluffs, etc. But you'll want suspension for sures!

St. George area?: You can get by with SS.... except for flying monkey. SS's would be a ball on gooseberry mesa.

Can't speak for Wasatch.... but if its anything like front range, everyone tries everything. More power to ya.