Quantcast

Utah hates queers

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Andyman_1970 said:
You realize those 613 commands are a direct command from God? Again, do some research on rabbinic binding and loosing if you want a more in depth explaination than I can provide here as to the rationale of the rabbi's in their deciding one command was "heavier" than another.
Yes, I know the 613 are a "direct command" but if god were to come to you and specifically tell you to do something, in person, would you not do it?
No but it says that those who aren't Jews don't have to be Jews in the new Messianic movement that was growing - this is an example of binding and loosing, this yeshiva decided to prohibit some commands and permit other things.
But you concede that some laws are orthogonal to "love thy neighbor" correct? That's all I'm getting at. It is not enough to simply say love god and your neighbor and all will be right.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Andyman_1970 said:
So it's "ok" to interpret Scriptures in a manner that was different / foreign from what would have been "normal" for the authors and first followers of Jesus (who were Jewish)?
You seemed to think it was OK when the Jews were doing it 2000 years ago, right? I'm trying to figure out why you don't think it is OK now.
Again, I believe when we remove the Scriptures from their historical, cultural, and linguistic context a hermenutical "gap" of understanding is created in which man can and does insert his own understanding on the Text........and example of that is in the 20's and 30's German theologians denied the historical aspects to Jesus to the point of painting him as almost arian.......which helped the rise of the Nazi party.
But it was all right for the Jews of 2000 years ago to not follow the scriptures in their historical, cultural, and linguistic context? Actually, following that, culturally it was acceptable to have slaves 2000 years ago, but surely you don't support present day Christians following those rules, intents, etc.

Also, the picture of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jesus was around long before the Nazis.

Look at what denominations are today, they are groups of people who have bound (prohibited) somethings, and loosed (permitted) other things so to say it doesn't go on today is not exactly accurate. In the early church (which I define as the church described in the book of Acts) the binding and loosing was done communally, never individually........Peter also warns against that.
But, you seem to have a problem with the binding and loosing that has happened.
The early Christians were Jews, without Judaism there would be no Christianity, the roots of Christianity are in Judaism........the Christian baptism comes from the Jewish mikvah, the Lord's Supper/Communion from the Passover Seder, the whole concept of a Messiah is Jewish. I would argue the "intent" was never that Christianity "leave" Judaism.........Jesus didn't come to start a new religion.
OK, the early Muslims were also from the Judeo-Christian mold, but you would probably say that Islam is separate and distinct from Christianity or Judaism. Jesus might not have intended to start a new religion, but the end result is one and has been for quite some time.

Of course, if Jesus is made up by Paul or others, then the intent may very well have been to start a new religion.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yeah, I got that same feeling...........

OMGF.......feel free to PM me if you would like to continue this discussion, I don't want to subject my monkey brothers and sisters to another lengthy discussion on this subject.......LOL

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
fluff said:
She had hot moments but not generally my kinda gal.

Then of course there is Cher and Winona Ryder.
They were mermaids too?

Cher =/= hot
Winona = hot
Ariel = hottest of all the mermaids

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Andyman_1970 said:
What was this thread about anyway???
It turned into a discussion about what is "normal" with DT, and I was simply pointing out that we attribute our "moral system" erroneously to Christianity IMO when the credit should be placed on society. I think I made my point and don't see the need to continue.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
It turned into a discussion about what is "normal" with DT, and I was simply pointing out that we attribute our "moral system" erroneously to Christianity IMO when the credit should be placed on society. I think I made my point and don't see the need to continue.
Step away from the keyboard....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ohio said:
What? Age of consent is totally lower when you're talking about non-humans.
Plus there's that pesky species-years/people-years conversion...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
MikeD said:
Plus there's that pesky species-years/people-years conversion...

that´d give you an edge with certain species...

after 5 human years or whenever you get bored, you dont have to tinker about awful breakups, divorces and lawyers..... aging alone would do its part...

think about all the benefits from being a heir/widow every 5-8 years...