Quantcast

Utah hates queers

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
stinkyboy said:
God leaves the "dirty work" to man. The consequences of your actions are very clear. The choices are all yours.
Is homosexuality a choice? The latest and best science behind it says that it isn't a choice. Why does god make homosexual men? Is it so that she can condemn them later?

Also, before you go off on the, "They can be gay, just don't act on it," argument, how would you feel if your religion told you that you could be hetero so long as you don't act on it, or else you go to hell?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
Hmm, there is an original theme for a movie.

Two lovers who cannot be together because of the social stigma surrounding the relationship.

Wow, groundbreaking.
Whether you think it is groundbreaking or not, it is a subject that has not been given a lot of sympathetic renderings.

I do agree with you (and I feel like I need to take a shower for saying so) that we shouldn't definitively comdemn the theater owner until we have more information. I do wonder whether he has a movie to show in the theater that was intended for Brokeback, however. Is he just letting one of his screens sit idle? That would not be a shrewd business move, unless he stood to lose more money by showing it, due to some boycot or something.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stinkyboy said:
They're not hard to find, but the first one listed here is all you really need to know. Can it be more clear?!

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
Could you list the passages where stoning is acceptable? I just dug some rocks out my garden and I feel like punishing the wicked.

I remember a West Wing episode where President Barlett confronts an anti-gay radio broadcaster and quotes some of the more odd punishments, like killing someone who works on the Sabbath. The point is that the Bible is open to interpretation.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The theme has been done 10 kajillion times. Start with Romeo & Juliet and go from there. What makes this "different" is the characters. If next year someone makes a movie about a lesbian eskimo chick and her one legged jewish girlfriend who can't be together because the eskimo girl refuses to eat fish on Friday, they will couch it in the same fashion. But it's the same damn story.

He's probably running King Kong (another movie I wont see, because it's been freakin done four times if you don't count Mighty Joe young) or Chronicles of Narnia on an extra screen.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
i guess i'm not suprised to see you're packing a "born again" card in your back pocket so as to crow about others percieved inadequacies before The Creator, backed with the knowledge you can pull out your card to justify your limited logic based on out-dated text.
I don't fully understand that, but I'm not trying to "crow". I recently decided (mutually) to stop going out with this woman since we didn't agree on religious and political situations. I didn't try to make her think what I thought, I simply told her what I know in my life to be The Truth.

I'm not going to argue with people about my beliefs, but ask me a question and I will answer. If you don't like the answer, that's your problem, not mine.

The Truth is out there. Do what you like with it.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
The theme has been done 10 kajillion times. Start with Romeo & Juliet and go from there. What makes this "different" is the characters. If next year someone makes a movie about a lesbian eskimo chick and her one legged jewish girlfriend who can't be together because the eskimo girl refuses to eat fish on Friday, they will couch it in the same fashion. But it's the same damn story.

He's probably running King Kong (another movie I wont see, because it's been freakin done four times if you don't count Mighty Joe young) or Chronicles of Narnia on an extra screen.
The theme of forbidden love has been done a kajillions times.

The sympathetic portrayal of gay forbidden love? Not very often.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Damn True said:
Hmm, there is an original theme for a movie.

Two lovers who cannot be together because of the social stigma surrounding the relationship.

Wow, groundbreaking.
The Bard:
“Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.”

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
JRogers said:
The point is not what the text literally says, but how and/or why one should follow it.
Interestingly that's one of the reasons for the creation of the rabbi's to interpret the Text in regards to how one lives the Text out, not just have a better intellectual grasp of it. In the tradition Jesus came from living out things like "love your neighbor as yourself" was always more important that intellectually understanding all the theological minutia.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
stinkyboy said:
I don't fully understand that, but I'm not trying to "crow". I recently decided (mutually) to stop going out with this woman since we didn't agree on religious and political situations. I didn't try to make her think what I thought, I simply told her what I know in my life to be The Truth.

I'm not going to argue with people about my beliefs, but ask me a question and I will answer. If you don't like the answer, that's your problem, not mine.

The Truth is out there. Do what you like with it.
Hey, I've been asking questions. See comment #81, there's a couple of questions right there for you.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Old Man G Funk said:
So, you consider the condemnation of gays to be the morally superior position?

Not at all, in fact that would run counter to my beliefs.

Just pointing out that one of the two of them is claiming moral superiority, and the other is claiming intellectual superiority....pot - kettle.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Old Man G Funk said:
Just for giggles, I thought I would look at the amount of money the films made per theater.

Brokeback Mountain makes about $10,973
Hostel makes about $9,157
Chronicles makes about $4,053
Kong makes about $3,571
Dick and Jane makes about $3,992

I can see how it would be a horrendously poor investment to go with a film that pulls down more money per showing....
AHAHahahahahaaaaaaa.

Ownerizationized.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Old Man G Funk said:
Hey, I've been asking questions. See comment #81, there's a couple of questions right there for you.
You're looking for "loopholes" in scripture... Ask God to show you what's up.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
stinkyboy said:
You're looking for "loopholes" in scripture... Ask God to show you what's up.
On the contrary...

I want you to put it out there in all its gory details. God hates fags, right? You can find it in the Bible. You can also find parts where god has no problem with gays. You can justify just about anything in the Bible. So, why is it used as an authoritative text? Why so much hate? Why do you specifically espouse hate and condemnation?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Old Man G Funk said:
On the contrary...

I want you to put it out there in all its gory details. God hates fags, right? You can find it in the Bible. You can also find parts where god has no problem with gays. You can justify just about anything in the Bible. So, why is it used as an authoritative text? Why so much hate? Why do you specifically espouse hate and condemnation?
IMO God hates sinners, but loves us enough to offer us the wisdom and hopefully strength to change into a more Godlike person.

I espouse using God's words on Earth to graduate into Heaven.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
stinkyboy said:
IMO God hates sinners...
With all due respect read Romans 5:8 the whole while we were yet sinners deal. Also read Matthew 5 where Jesus talks about loving your enemies and how God causes the sun to rise and set and the rain to fall on both the righeous and unrighteous.......so to say that God "hates" sinners is not exactly accurate..........anyway, just some food for thought.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
LordOpie said:
Why pull B.M., but not Hostel?

The dollar figure is not the salient point, the number of screens is. The movie is playing in places where it has broader commercial appeal.

Like I said. BM is doing very well in a very limited number of places. I just floated the possibility that the theatre owner MIGHT have figured that his place would not have been in an area that would support the film as well as another.

Like I said. Dust to Glory did rather well in LA and San Diego. I doubt it did as well in Maine or New Hamshire where the subject matter (Baja 1000) would have a far less broad appeal as in Southern California.

Warren Miller movies don't play in New Orleans.

http://www.warrenmiller.com/wmiller/higherground/schedule/index.html

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
stinkyboy said:
IMO God hates sinners, but loves us enough to offer us the wisdom and hopefully strength to change into a more Godlike person.

So, why do you specifically espouse hatred and condemnation?

As an aside, why do you feel the need to espouse that hatred and condemnation publicly?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
stinkyboy said:

Also, doesn't your religion teach that we are all sinners? Does that mean that god hates all of us?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Andyman_1970 said:
With all due respect read Romans 5:8 the whole while we were yet sinners deal. Also read Matthew 5 where Jesus talks about loving your enemies and how God causes the sun to rise and set and the rain to fall on both the righeous and unrighteous.......so to say that God "hates" sinners is not exactly accurate..........anyway, just some food for thought.
Gays are not my enemies. I have no enemies (except N8 :D)

Psalm 5:5 is worth reading too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Damn True said:
The dollar figure is not the salient point...
Let's assume for a moment that pulling BM wasn't a business decision, but a moral one.

IF that's true, why allow a movie like Hostel to be shown as well?

Like Andy said, it's more icky. I mean, people getting off on cutting up and killing others. ugh.

So why draw a line at homosexuality and be "fine" with other types of sin?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
stinkyboy said:
Your poorly constructed attacks. What's the point?
The point is why should anyone listen to the blather of a typical christian that doesn't practice what he preaches,(because really who really does in any realm) yet is more than happy to regurgitate quotes from the bible to justify ignorance, hate, and intolerance. And to be absolved of any consequence as a result thru the righteous arrogance carried through your reckless stance, that the end of the argument begins and ends with your comic book.

Don't you get it man? God hates people in Phoenix, everybody knows that.

What happened to the good ole days when Aaron would bounce preaching from this forum.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Yoohoo did anyone see the theater picture and notice how bland and drab the notice about not showing BBM was? Couldn't they have used some color and punched it up a little?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Reactor said:
Yoohoo did anyone see the theater picture and notice how bland and drab the notice about not showing BBM was? Couldn't they have used some color and punched it up a little?
Haha i wouldn't go see that flick unless it was about cowgirls.:evil:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
The point is why should anyone listen to the blather of a typical christian that doesn't practice what he preaches,(because really who really does in any realm) yet is more than happy to regurgitate quotes from the bible to justify ignorance, hate, and intolerance. And to be absolved of any consequence as a result thru the righteous arrogance carried through your reckless stance, that the end of the argument begins and ends with your comic book.

Don't you get it man? God hates people in Phoenix, everybody knows that.

What happened to the good ole days when Aaron would bounce preaching from this forum.
I don't practice what I preach?! Have we met?

I'm not perfect, and I sin, but I make a conscience effort to be a man of faith, attend church and do God's works. Yet I cannot quote from the Bible?

Is someone going on about why their new frame is better than any other out there preaching what they believe?

Why does an exchange of beliefs make you angry and want me to be censored?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
Let's assume for a moment that pulling BM wasn't a business decision, but a moral one.

IF that's true, why allow a movie like Hostel to be shown as well?

Like Andy said, it's more icky. I mean, people getting off on cutting up and killing others. ugh.

So why draw a line at homosexuality and be "fine" with other types of sin?
I agree. Great point.