Quantcast

Utah Rave, attacked by SWAT...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
T-minus 2yrs an counting till this whole country is under marshall law.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
One of the promoters friends (a very small female) was attacked by one of the police dogs. As she struggled to get away from it, the police tackled her.

If you try to run from a dog thats schutzhund trained, it will run you down harder.

This coming from someone who has an ScH II malinois. :)

Running from the police is usually frowned upon in all situations unless you ENJOY getting your butt kicked.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
likwid said:
One of the promoters friends (a very small female) was attacked by one of the police dogs. As she struggled to get away from it, the police tackled her.

If you try to run from a dog thats schutzhund trained, it will run you down harder.

This coming from someone who has an ScH II malinois. :)

Running from the police is usually frowned upon in all situations unless you ENJOY getting your butt kicked.
She probably had drugs on her.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I dont understand... Raves use to be so much fun... all about having a good time... or maybe i was so messed up never noticed just how sick they were :D

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I love it.The police acted out of fear that it(the rave) would rally against Bush's visit to Utah. The things they will do in the name of "Homeland Defense". Screw marshall law Stosh... I think we are headed toward a civil war myself.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
I dont understand... Raves use to be so much fun... all about having a good time... or maybe i was so messed up never noticed just how sick they were :D
You were probably part of the BTS.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dhtahoe said:
I love it.The police acted out of fear that it(the rave) would rally against Bush's visit to Utah. The things they will do in the name of "Homeland Defense". Screw marshall law Stosh... I think we are headed toward a civil war myself.

At what point in the US was rallying support a bad thing?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dhtahoe said:
I think we are headed toward a civil war myself.
Never happen. People in this country are too comfortable and lazy and greedy to rebel. Just keep giving them their bright shiny objects and they're fine.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if this was just another rave with people making speculations as to why they raided it.

Half the raves that happen in NH/ME get raided and they do use SWAT (crowd control experience).
I don't see anyone crying over those.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'd read more of the story. Not that I agree with this happening, but if you read the Utah sherriff's report, they didn't have the permit that allowed them to have more than 250 people, they had a health permit, and hired EMS personnel. I think there is definitely some shady stuff going on as far as the government is concerned, but it's not as bad as the ravers make it out to be.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Ciaran said:
Never happen. People in this country are too comfortable and lazy and greedy to rebel. Just keep giving them their bright shiny objects and they're fine.
True, but more and more of us are getting their shiny objects taken away by greed and comfort. This had led to most civil wars. The rich get too rich and the poor get the short end. The cloak is wearing thin, and people are getting wise to it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dhtahoe said:
True, but more and more of us are getting their shiny objects taken away by greed and comfort. This had led to most civil wars. The rich get too rich and the poor get the short end. The cloak is wearing thin, and people are getting wise to it.
There have always people wise to it, I personally don't see that number increasing. I see a public too engrossed in their reality TV to give a ****. And I don't see it getting to the civil war level, then no one would get to play with their toys.

There is also a big difference today, their may be more poor people but the poor people are richer. The average family under the poverty level has 2 TV's a Microwave and at least one car, they no longer go hungry but are obese. Things that many people in third world countries will kill for. My sister who has been bilking the welfare system for the past few years brings home more money than I do, and I have a well paying job and bust my ass 60 hours a week. The gap may be widening but as long as people are given their "Bread and Circus" nothing will happen.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
There have always people wise to it, I personally don't see that number increasing. I see a public too engrossed in their reality TV to give a ****. And I don't see it getting to the civil war level, then no one would get to play with their toys.

There is also a big difference today, their may be more poor people but the poor people are richer. The average family under the poverty level has 2 TV's a Microwave and at least one car, they no longer go hungry but are obese. Things that many people in third world countries will kill for. My sister who has been bilking the welfare system for the past few years brings home more money than I do, and I have a well paying job and bust my ass 60 hours a week. The gap may be widening but as long as people are given their "Bread and Circus" nothing will happen.
:stupid:

America has the richest poor people around.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Seems like from the Pro-Ravers side of the story they got a bum rap. :rolleyes:

Ravers reports they had a permit....

Sherrif reports
Around noon on Saturday, August 20th, the Sheriff's office learned that the Rave Party was to take place in the Diamond Fork area located in Spanish Fork canyon at the Child's ranch. At that point it was again verified that the Utah County Commissioner's office had no knowledge of this nor had a permit been obtained.
followed by this
At 9 pm the Rave party began and by 10 pm Major Crimes observed numerous illegal activities. Which included illegal use of drugs, distribution of drugs, and underage consumption of alcohol.

It was verified that more than 250 individuals were at the party, in violation or county statutes and by 11:30 pm law enforcement personnel moved in to curtail and disburse the party. During this process at least 60 arrests were made for weapons offenses, DUI, illegal underage consumption of alcohol, possession of marijuana, possession of cocaine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of ecstasy, distribution of ecstasy, resisting arrest, assault on a police officer, and disorderly conduct.
but we all know how some charges are just out right lies.

Got to hate living in small towns...officers know who you are.
Several local teenagers from Spanish Fork, Springville, Provo, and Payson were identified at the party by officers. As well as, numerous individuals out of the Salt Lake and Davis County area.
Pro-Raver reports that drugs were taken away prior to entering the venue.
Sherrif reports
A safety sweep was conducted after the crowd was ordered to disburse and numerous narcotic items were located scattered on the ground which included: cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana, mushrooms, alcohol and large amounts of drug paraphernalia.

A 17 year old female from West Jordan, found by officers, had overdosed on ecstasy. She was treated and released to her parents.
They missed a few.

Who the hell wants to go to a drug free rave anyway?! Then you would have to listen to that crappy music....sober. :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, that is what I figured. Read between the lines of the pro-rave account, and it seems like many details were left out. My first clue: an outdoor show at night in what looks to be a field. Most communities would never approve such an event without major paperwork.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Something about this reeks of pure BS.

If SWAT were involved, I can guarantee you they wouldn't be acting like that without being provoked. Anything that SWAT is called out for automatically has a paper trail 10 miles long documenting every move they make in the field with weapons and documents and accounts for every round discharged. It is not like only the people at the scene would be the only ones to see that - in fact, many many many people review and re-review the incident to disclaim whoever they need to from fault. SWAT teams and helicopters busting up a "completely innocent and 100% legal" party with security guards on hand sounds pretty fishy to me. Also SWAT teams and ATF teams are usually clearly marked with those letters in large white lettering. Pretty easy to claim the people on the ground were "innocent" as well since you don't see what they did to get put there in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, resisting the cops, in this case with guns drawn, in any way is just flat out stupid and is a first class ticket to a well-deserved beat-down.

SWAT teams aren't brought in for f'ing noise violations, especially in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. For that many SWAT members to be called out they had to have had a good reason. Like I said, this story reeks of pure BS and smelled like a drug bust just from the title.

*Edit: Most of this is referring to the story published by the ravers who got busted up.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
dhtahoe said:

i said that in the pd forum the other day and was told i was batty

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
bomberboy11 said:
Something about this reeks of pure BS.

If SWAT were involved, I can guarantee you they wouldn't be acting like that without being provoked. Anything that SWAT is called out for automatically has a paper trail 10 miles long documenting every move they make in the field with weapons and documents and accounts for every round discharged. It is not like only the people at the scene would be the only ones to see that - in fact, many many many people review and re-review the incident to disclaim whoever they need to from fault. SWAT teams and helicopters busting up a "completely innocent and 100% legal" party with security guards on hand sounds pretty fishy to me. Also SWAT teams and ATF teams are usually clearly marked with those letters in large white lettering. Pretty easy to claim the people on the ground were "innocent" as well since you don't see what they did to get put there in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, resisting the cops, in this case with guns drawn, in any way is just flat out stupid and is a first class ticket to a well-deserved beat-down.

SWAT teams aren't brought in for f'ing noise violations, especially in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. For that many SWAT members to be called out they had to have had a good reason. Like I said, this story reeks of pure BS and smelled like a drug bust just from the title.

*Edit: Most of this is referring to the story published by the ravers who got busted up.

........Waco?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Two accounts:

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/08/323417.shtml

The police were rounding up the staff of the party and the main promoter went up to them with the permit for the show and said "here, I have the permit." The police then said, "no you don't" and ripped the permit out of his hand. Then, they put an assault rifle to his forehead and said "get the **** out of here right now." Now.. let's get the facts straight here. This event was 100% legal. They had every permit the city told them they needed. They had a 2 MILLION DOLLAR insurance policy for the event.

http://www.co.utah.ut.us/News/DeptNewsDetails.asp?ID=17759&WN_System=SHERIFF

Tickets were sold through a Salt Lake vendor, Uprock, for $20.00. Tickets could be bought in advance and directions to the exact location of the Rave would be provided on the day of the event.

Utah County mass gathering ordinance prohibits the gathering of two hundred and fifty or more persons without a permit, bond, and Utah County Commission approval.

Around noon on Saturday, August 20th, the Sheriff's office learned that the Rave Party was to take place in the Diamond Fork area located in Spanish Fork canyon at the Child's ranch. At that point it was again verified that the Utah County Commissioner's office had no knowledge of this nor had a permit been obtained.

Now, who is lying? Or are there some missing details...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
stosh said:
Plur............

BWAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!

source inside the Utah government reports that this action was undertaken out of fear that the Rave would be used to rally support for the protest against Bush's Utah visit.

i dont know how raves in utah work, but in memphis the only thing organized at a rave was the mass spread of herpes. ah, the good ol' days.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
indymedia is notorious for listening to anyone's opinion of what happened.
even if its grossly wrong.