Quantcast

UTIs and riding?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've been suffering from a lot of urinary tract infections (and a serious kidney infection, which is also related) and, despite taking as many precautions as possible, I can't help but feel that the jolt of riding is making me more succeptible to infection. I definitely have pain in that area when I'm done riding and I've read that bicycle riding can make you more prone to infection. Has anyone else had this problem?

Currently, I'm taking cranberry supplements every day and doing everything else my doctor has recommended. I have a hard tail mountain bike and I ride a lot of XC with bumps and technical stuff to jump. I have a women's specific Dolce seat which helps and just ordered a pair of padded shorts. Is it worth trying a suspension seat post? I'm worried because I love riding more than anything and would hate to have to cut back or give it up. I'm up for any suggestions!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Definitely get some good padded shorts and perhaps shower right before and after a ride? I haven't had any problems so I really don't know, but I would think some good shorts will help make the ride much more comfortable and they wick away sweat etc. which is always nice ;) Good luck!!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I used to get these a lot. Do you make sure to pee after intercourse? This is susppoed to help keep the urinary tract clean (er) For myself, I found that drinking enough water was key; I lived in an area with really nasty water and was always dehydrated. That, combined with a diaphragm really made for a lot of problems. I moved and changed my b/c method, and had a lot less problems.

gg

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I'm always peeing and drinking a lot and making sure to keep the area very clean. I don't know if being on the pill makes me more prone to them.

What do you think about a seatpost with suspension? Any saddles that you've found really decrease pressure?

I've got a pair of shorts coming in the mail.

bluebug32 said:
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I'm always peeing and drinking a lot and making sure to keep the area very clean. I don't know if being on the pill makes me more prone to them.

What do you think about a seatpost with suspension? Any saddles that you've found really decrease pressure?

I've got a pair of shorts coming in the mail.
maybe try a saddle with a cut out like the lady trans am or the terry butterfly?!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
robdamanii said:
God THANK YOU! I've been saying that for techie bumpy stuff she needs a FS. :thumb:
A Suspension seatpost will take some of the jolt out of the ride for sure. I had a RS post on my Trek, but honestly the only one worth buying is the Cane Creek Thudbuster. Kinda pricey though...

As for the HT vs. FS debate...IMO...continue to ride and learn on you HT for a while before making the switch to FS. It'll make you a smoother, better bike handler in the long run.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
A Suspension seatpost will take some of the jolt out of the ride for sure. I had a RS post on my Trek, but honestly the only one worth buying is the Cane Creek Thudbuster. Kinda pricey though...

As for the HT vs. FS debate...IMO...continue to ride and learn on you HT for a while before making the switch to FS. It'll make you a smoother, better bike handler in the long run.
SSSsssshhhhh ;)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
McGRP01 said:

Right. I think it's really important to not skip the HT step and rush right into a FS. And I'm hoping this problem I'm having doesn't force me to do it too soon. Plus, I just REALLY love my HT Kona. :p

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
So my PA. told me today that there's no way my UTIs could be effected by biking.

She's such an idiot. Judging by the size of her, I don't think a spin around the block would be the worst thing to happen to her!

Off to find a new doc....

By the way, I got the padded shorts in the mail today. Damn they're padded! Rob tried them on and could suddenly sympathize with the maxi pad commercials....hehe. He looked hot in his manties. ;)

robdamanii said:
She picked up the Insport Liquicell shorts.

enjoy em!

LiquiCell chamois' combine a low viscosity fluid and strategically placed baffles into an innovative thin pad. The patented technology cushions the body, reduces pressure and friction and absorbs shock. When incorporated into the structure of a chamois, LiquiCell becomes an extension of the body's natural adaptive processes, eliminating saddle sores and increasing comfort. The seamless design eliminates chafing and the four-way stretch allows for a molded anatomical design. The special Eschler surface fabric, increases moisture management and breathability that is super soft and dries in a flash.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MtnBikerChk said:
enjoy em!

LiquiCell chamois' combine a low viscosity fluid and strategically placed baffles into an innovative thin pad. The patented technology cushions the body, reduces pressure and friction and absorbs shock. When incorporated into the structure of a chamois, LiquiCell becomes an extension of the body's natural adaptive processes, eliminating saddle sores and increasing comfort. The seamless design eliminates chafing and the four-way stretch allows for a molded anatomical design. The special Eschler surface fabric, increases moisture management and breathability that is super soft and dries in a flash.
damn. I couldn't have said it any better myself :thumb: