Quantcast

utopian society (are we in one?)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
fair warning- its long
i think a lot, mainly about how much i can't stand the ignorant people around me, and i'm always battling in my mind about controversal issues. i've wondered there has got to be a "close to perfect world" somewhere on earth. This I was thinking while I sat in borders book store sipping at my tea that i don't even like that much, and i kept looking at a bottle of pop out of the corner of my eye, but oh if i got that my girlfriend came out from listening to cd's and saw me, there'd be hell to pay (i'm on a diet untill my heart gets better) well i was sitting there and glancing over mtb magazines, and still thinking about this ficticious society.

Just then a couple came and sat at the table next to mine, i pushed some of the already read magazines over my girlfriend's "woman" magazines, so they wouldn't think they were mine if they had glanced at them. I look at what the couple were reading (they had to be in their late twenties, early thirties) and their stack of periodicals looked very similar to mine. I don't know why but i get stoked when i see other bikers around where i live, i think "good there are more". Out of a fit of exitement i blurt out "cool, what do you guys ride?", they looked at me as if i were their best friend, which made me feel good, and the man said "well, i ride a brand new sx trail, and my other bikes are just random specialized bikes." Then she said, "I ride a specialized bighit and an epic." "Do you guys have a thing for specialized or something," I asked, getting ready to say 'oh me too, i love them' if they said yes. "yeah," she said "we ran a bike shop that sold specialized, before we moved from pennsylvania, and we got hooked on the brand" Well, i'm from ohio, and i love it when i find yankees in charlotte, nc.

Well, we talked about all sorts of things. about 2 minutes into the conversation, they invited me to joind their table. we talked for a long time. Eventually, i started thinking about the society while i was listening to them. We had the same exact thoughts on everything that we discussed; religion, politics, evoultion, etc. Then i thought back to every other conversation that i've had with a mountain biker. They were all the same.

We, this, all of us, we are a utopia. I know it sounds crazy, but look how we've progressed in the past two decades, biking has brought together all of the people who have a passion for the sport, and joined them into a perfect culture. Have we had any wars? Nope. Do we have gangs that wake up at all ours of the night to go put a bullet in the challenging gangsta's head? Nope. We never have conflict. We do hold healthy competition often, but the loser gets a pat on the back. Did Bush give Kerry a pat on the back. Nope. Correct me if i'm wrong but every mountain biker has basically the same views on almost everything. We have taken our passion for the sport and related it to life in ways that enhance our perception of how the world is, and should be. To back this up I have a little quiz here.......(my answers are underlined.

Evolution- good or bad
Bush- good or bad
Kerry- good or bad
Gangs- good or bad
War- good, bad, or just f'in stupid
Ignorant people- good, bad, or die die die!:mumble:
mtb'ing- hell yes

thanks for reading i just had to get that out.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
um you'd better move this to the political forum. Also, i'd wager that political views of MTbers vary wildly. One of them happens to be a president who invaded a few countries and who woudl probably disagree on the bush bad part.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mmmmm, blogs, it's what's for breakfast.

Perhaps paragraphs and cohesive thought would make it easier to consume?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:
mmmmm, blogs, it's what's for breakfast.

Perhaps paragraphs and cohesive thought would make it easier to consume?
I was actually thinking paragraphs would do a LOT to make me even want to read it in the first place. Sheesh.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Correct me if i'm wrong but every mountain biker has basically the same views on almost everything.
Consider yourself corrected.

You want non-conflict? Try browsing the 2six stallion's website and NOT wanting to bash heads in. :eek:

The Ito

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i think we may conclude from this thread that ignorance indeed is bliss

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I don't know about your quiz... while most mtbers tend to be liberal in their views doesn't mean we are all alike. Plus many liberals hate Kerry, myself included (why? because hes identical to Bush).

How can evolution be good or bad? It just is.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
We, this, all of us, we are a utopia. I know it sounds crazy, but look how we've progressed in the past two decades, biking has brought together all of the people who have a passion for the sport, and joined them into a perfect culture. Have we had any wars? Nope. Do we have gangs that wake up at all ours of the night to go put a bullet in the challenging gangsta's head? Nope. We never have conflict. We do hold healthy competition often, but the loser gets a pat on the back. Did Bush give Kerry a pat on the back. Nope. Correct me if i'm wrong but every mountain biker has basically the same views on almost everything. We have taken our passion for the sport and related it to life in ways that enhance our perception of how the world is, and should be. To back this up I have a little quiz here.......(my answers are underlined.
have you read some of the stuff roadies and mountainbikers say about each other? or even xc and dh riders? or dh racers and freeriders?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biker3 said:
My point exactly. This is one of the most rediculous posts ever. I truly feel sorry for the starter of the thread if they honestly believe what they are saying.
wow, some of you people are way too harsh.

This is a young person exploring their ideas, beliefs and the world around them.

Disagree, but insult? You're a 'tard for doing so.

Applaud youngin's for doing what this guy did.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
wow, some of you people are way too harsh.

This is a young person exploring their ideas, beliefs and the world around them.

Disagree, but insult? You're a 'tard for doing so.

Applaud youngin's for doing what this guy did.
Im 17 years old, if thats by any means "young" then I guess I fall into the same catagory. This fixed view this kid has is rediculous and he needs to know that. Hitler, Mao, Stalin explored ideas and beliefs of "utopia." Hes calling out ignorance and illustrating it himself. I applaud youngin's who take the time to read books and think about things before making up their minds and running their mouths. Im all for exploration but this sort of exploration is very dangerous. Grouping yourself above others just because you bike and attaching to complete fallacies is wrong and IM going to say something about it.

Sure I'm being harsh and maybe a little ignorant myself but at least I can admit it rather than podium myself and other mtn bikers above others?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biker3 said:
Im 17 years old, if thats by any means "young" then I guess I fall into the same catagory. This fixed view this kid has is rediculous and he needs to know that. Hitler, Mao, Stalin explored ideas and beliefs of "utopia." Hes calling out ignorance and illustrating it himself. I applaud youngin's who take the time to read books and think about things before making up their minds and running their mouths. Im all for exploration but this sort of exploration is very dangerous. Grouping yourself above others just because you bike and attaching to complete fallacies is wrong and IM going to say something about it.

Sure I'm being harsh and maybe a little ignorant myself but at least I can admit it rather than podium myself and other mtn bikers above others?
Instead of having a reasonable discussion with him, you call him names and insult him? You're more of an extremist than he is and the sad part is, you don't think so. At least he's putting himself and his ideas out there for discussion... while you slam the door shut :(

biker3

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
Instead of having a reasonable discussion with him, you call him names and insult him? You're more of an extremist than he is and the sad part is, you don't think so. At least he's putting himself and his ideas out there for discussion... while you slam the door shut :(
booh hoo, If you or him can't take it, I think Dr. Phil just wrote a new book. How is anything I said extreme, harsh yes? but extreme no.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
biker3 said:

Calm down, you clown. Way to hit the old standby- don't agree? Just pull out the facism card! Nobody likes Hitler!

Anyway, I think that much of the time, mountain bikers are drawn from the same socioeconomic and racial bracket and their attraction to the sport may be based on personal characteristics that influence beliefs (say, for example, a respect and love of nature and the outdoors). I don't think you'd want to overdraw the similarities, though. Take a trip to the Political Debate forum if you want to see some conflict. I disagree with a lot of stuff said in there. Sure, I'm liberal, I am anti-war (there's always exceptions, though; I am certainly not a pacifist) and such, but I disagree on many issues with cyclists and others that I would think to be on "my side."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biker3 said:
booh hoo, If you or him can't take it, I think Dr. Phil just wrote a new book. How is anything I said extreme, harsh yes? but extreme no.
I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm hoping to get you to reconsider your position/thinking just like you want to do for the original poster. Please consider the fact that you're attempting to end the philosophical/societal discussion.

Instead of "correcting" him, you're telling him to shut up. That helps no one, wouldn't you agree?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm hoping to get you to reconsider your position/thinking just like you want to do for the original poster. Please consider the fact that you're attempting to end the philosophical/societal discussion.

Instead of "correcting" him, you're telling him to shut up. That helps no one, wouldn't you agree?
An interesting point, maybe everyone should think a bit more before they post...