Quantcast

UX portfolio site

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
after nearly 20 years as a traditional graphic designer who also builds websites, I’m evolving my career path and heading into UX/UI design. It’s actually something I’ve done a fair bit of in the past, just never formally in that role. Anycrap, I completed a boot camp style course to fill in some gaps in my knowledge and skills, and then got busy working on a portfolio website to start the job search. The portfolio site itself was an exercise in UX/UI design, turns out. Have a look, feel free to post commentary or criticism here.

There are still a few things I would like to tweak, a few sub-pages to add, more case studies to write, but it’s good enough to start looking for a job.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
General: opaque "main -about -work -contact" controls become hard to see /scrambled depending where you are on what page.

see:1575300514917.png

Contact: "hello@" is good. "wtf@" might ring unprofessional to some. You might not want to work with those people anyway but sometimes "those people" write big checks.

Looks great!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
General: opaque "main -about -work -contact" controls become hard to see /scrambled depending where you are on what page.

see:View attachment 138997
Heh... my buddy Mike said the same thing so this one is already on the list to address. I honestly assumed it wouldn’t be too big of a deal as folks would use the nav buttons, which scroll the page to spots where it’s not an issue. User testing FTW.

Contact: "hello@" is good. "wtf@" might ring unprofessional to some. You might not want to work with those people anyway but sometimes "those people" write big checks.
Noted, and yeah I should change that.

Looks great!
Thanks, yo.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Viewing on my computer - can't easily read the text in the Skills section as it contrasts with you pushing that sweet lawn mower thingy.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Related to the "hard to read" theme - the floating menu mostly disappears in some places as you scroll down in the main page. For example - menu is barely discernible at this point:

View attachment 139020
See @Nick's original feedback on this subject... I actually came up with a solution for this issue on all sections of the single-page scrolly layout except the main section... I couldn't think of a way to do it without putting a big blue block over my face. So, I left it.

Also, if you all are scrolling like you are, then you're not even using the main floating nav... so maybe it either A. doesn't matter if it gets obscured since you're not using it anyways or B. doesn't need to be there... maybe it hides itself unless you stick your mouse up there.

Thoughts to think.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Coming from the industrial automation world, most of the time user interfaces are done by knuckle dragging engineers like myself with mediocre results in the best case scenario.

Often an engineer with a bit of design talent specializes in such things, again with mediocre results. Have you ever considered entering the automation world? With design, coding and mechanical aptitude you could be pretty damn good. Pay is usually pretty good and has excellent job security.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Well that’s terrible. Also surprising, but terrible. What model Android device? And it looks like the phone is sideways? How does it look with the phone vertical? I’m really surprised by this, given the framework the site is built on.
Hah, it's pretty old. Nexus 7 2013. Android 6.0.1. I never paid attention to that, I guess automatic updates stopped happening back in 2015 (Hazuz, the hardware is obsolete and unsupportable after two years?). Maybe that is why this POS is getting more and more frustrating to use. The auto-rotate on the device is flakey and I prefer reading in landscape so I locked the screen that way. I just had a look on my relatively modern phone, looks great! So maybe disregard my screenshot. Sorry.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Coming from the industrial automation world, most of the time user interfaces are done by knuckle dragging engineers like myself with mediocre results in the best case scenario.

Often an engineer with a bit of design talent specializes in such things, again with mediocre results. Have you ever considered entering the automation world? With design, coding and mechanical aptitude you could be pretty damn good. Pay is usually pretty good and has excellent job security.
Haven’t considered it, but really only because I’m not familiar with the automation world at all. Automating what? What sort of job titles or companies would I even look for? My curiosity is piqued.

Also, can those sorts of jobs be done remotely? The gal and I have a plan to jettison the city for mountain life at some point in the next 2-5 years.