Quantcast

V-10 maintenance

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Just picked up a used V-10 and Im noticing some play in the pivots somewhere. Ive been looking at the SC site and see pretty much everything from linkage to bearings for sale. That being said Im wondering what are more common wear problems for guys who have had some saddle time. Im planning on replacing the bushings and and possibly the bearings, but what about the prokit and the links and stuff. Have any of you had issues with these wearing out in a season or two?

TLDR; what commons problems have you had with 09-10 V-10?

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Get the propack (pivot axles, bearings, pinch bolts) and rebuild your pivots. It's not very common that the links need replaced. Sometimes play develops because your old links are slightly worn so the new pivot axles are a little bit too long, so you have to file a little bit off the new axle (< 1mm) to get it to snug up. The santa cruz directions walk you through how to do that.

I replace my bearings at the end of every season, but I only did the full pro pack rebuild when I first bought the frame used.

No you don't need a bearing press (I use sockets), but you might need some patience if it's your first go at this sort of thing. It's not difficult, but if any of your bearings are seized it's a pain in the ass to get them out.

Inspect your DU bushings and probably have those changed out as well when you do the rebuild.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
most of the play will be from the DU bushings on the shock. The bearings may need replacing. However, the new bearing design seems to be really good. I haven't needed to replace mine yet on my 2008 V10. That said, I don't blast the bearings with a power washer like some people. If the bearings get al the grease blasted out of them, you might need to replace the pivot axles. A propack has everything you would need.

Start witht he shock hardware and DU bushings and evaluate if anything else is needed.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
If you email Santa Cruz, they will send you new bearings for free. No need to waste money by buying a pro pack on their site if you don't need new pivots axles.

I've never needed to replace the bearings on my 2008 V10. Anytime my bike had play in the rear end, it just needed new DU bushings. Enjoy your new bike.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
The dude said it was ridding half a season so its prob reason to say that the DU's could use a swappin. I come from riding a sunday so Im probably a little over protective about keeping the suspension hardware perfect.

Gonna be a grease filled weekend.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Is an LG1+ on this bike a bad idea? these tabs seem a little on the weaker side compared to my IH.