Quantcast

V-10 or M6?

V-10 or M6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Either a over leveraged V-10 or low-rider tire grinder, pedal sparker. Tough choice. I'd take the v-10.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Take the m6 the tire thing is corrected now or just wait for the corsair crown as it is the thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Take the m6 the tire thing is corrected now or just wait for the corsair crown as it is the thing.
its a thing huh? Well I guess I should be glad I have my thing cutter.

I'd go for the M6 over the V10, Intense has always had impeccable workmanship (not that Santa Cruz doesn't). That and you can get one the same year you order it.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
M6 ALL THE WAY!

Screw Satan Cruz, and here's why:
- They continually promise things they can't deliver.
- They will make sure to hook up their bro's and those in their personal favor
- When called to task on promises made, they recant with attacks and threats through dealers and over the phone.
- Quality control with first batch SC has never been right, on any of their bikes.

Intense is a smaller company, but they have a real no BS platform that I can get behind. Strange politics, but run by a group of guys I have a HELL OF A LOT MORE FAITH IN.

</rant>?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
^^^

Interesting. I was promised a frame on my doorstep in a week from Intense that was 'in stock.' I was in a bind in the middle of the season, and it was the decision breaker for dropping cash. A week later I call and the frame was "at paint." Two weeks later they were waiting on parts. The week after that "the next batch is being started for another two weeks."

I've owned three Santa Cruz's, and I've gotten all three on time. I sell them to customers, and they get theirs on time.

Whats the point of this post? Everyone has a horror story from company x. Convincing someone to buy a bike that they don't even know why they want it, just because of your bad experience, is lame. :rolleyes:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Right now the V10 is 6 MONTHS wait time.
I have now spoken to over a dozen people who went from April or May to August or September.

A month is a lot more time then six. I can count. My fingers, minus the one up my nose (and the thumb up the butt) lets me know the math is screwed.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
if the tire tub on the M6 isnt fixed i will have to say V10. it also looks super lightweight (i dont know the weights on either i am going from looks)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
In my personal opinion I'd take the V10 over the M6. I've seen waaaay to many cracked and broken M3, and to think they made the m6 even lighter, which means the tubing is just way to thin... The V10 has a crazy leverage, but if the shocks now adays can handle it, what do you care...

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
V10!!!
because I own the 05 model and have never had any bad experiences with SC and most important working on the V10 has been far easier than working on the m3 as far as bearings maintenance and frame hardware concerns. Met a guy with an M6 the other day and he already had to ghetto-redesign a screw for the upper link so it wouldn't unscrew. Also the new V10 looks better imo.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
if the tire tub on the M6 isnt fixed i will have to say V10. it also looks super lightweight (i dont know the weights on either i am going from looks)
From what the intense guys said here the new m6's will be already shipped with modified dropouts. Only the first short batch is bad and you get the dropouts for free anyway. The geo with them is as advertised on the page so why even worry. The issue wasn't nice but was nicely handled.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I love how some people will drop negative rep, but then refuse to offer anything of meaning to the conversation, or even have a point with the topic.

Sometimes there are bigger tool boxes then me. Horray!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I base my personal decision off of dealing with both companies and their associated account reps. Intense was way more straight forward with when delivery dates were going to happen (and did for several of my friends, within 24 hours of when they said it would happen) and they discouraged dealers from taking a full deposit up front so as to not tie up the money of potential customers.

Mind you I have no gun time on either of them, but I am basing my decision on how honestly they've dealt with me.

All that being said, I bought at 303

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Mind you I have no gun time on either of them, but I am basing my decision on how honestly they've dealt with me.

All that being said, I bought at 303
:stupid: I did the same. Ended up canceling my v10 order because i didnt want to wait until july to get it. I now own a 303. However, given the choice between the two I would go with the m6.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Defineatly go with the v10, on the m6 the tire hits the seatube, it has a stupidly low bb[i'm a fan of low bb bikes] but the m6 is too low unless you only ride fast trails with no rocks or you enjoy gouging cranks and pedals and bashrings on things. Also the m6 has to run a longer shock witch only a few companies offer so its harder to find a replacement if things go wrong.

The v10 is tried and true and works well, the geometry is good and there are no problems. I was riding the 08 one last week and it rides great, especially with a double barel.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
James as a fan of low bb you recomend v10? Kinda strange recomending the highest bb on the market :P 13.75 with 165mm cranks won't be that low as some ppl run sundays with longer ones.

And the seatube hits have been solved already plus from what I've seen on bottoming out V10 seat also hits the tyre.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
What?

The company suffers in huge ways because of their lack of QC and questionable CS. Even their employees admit it.
From the MTBR Intense forum:

First let me say thank you to all the people on this forum for the positive AND negative comments. One of the best ways for us, as a manufacturer, to gather feedback on our products and service is through consumer forums like this one. We take your comments and concerns seriously and it drives us to make changes and improvements where needed. We are extremely proud to make everything in house in our Temecula CA. factory. We want to make the best bicycle frames in the world and prove that it can still be done competitively here in the U.S.A.

We just added a new QC inspector to insure the product getting out the door is exactly how it should be. Brian Boyce handled warranty and tech support at Campagnolo USA for years and has a long history in the bicycle industry. He has already put new procedures and inspection stations to improve the final product. He will work directly with engineering, manufacturing and Jeff Steber himself to make sure the Intense frame you purchase will be the best it can be.

We have also designed a new bearing system that will allow the lower pivot bearings to be serviced via fittings in the frame with a supplied grease gun. The really cool thing for all Intense owners, is that we designed this system to be retro fittable to older frames.

We will continue to work on making Intense products better and better. We are always interested in your comments. Please feel free to contact me any time

Sincerely,
Paul Cusick
Director of Sales and Marketing
Intense Cycles
pcusick@intensecycles.com

Defineatly go with the v10, on the m6 the tire hits the seatube, it has a stupidly low bb[i'm a fan of low bb bikes] but the m6 is too low unless you only ride fast trails with no rocks or you enjoy gouging cranks and pedals and bashrings on things.
Also from the Intense forum on MTBR:

First off thanks to the M6 owners for being patient waiting for me to get involved and everyone else who has gotten involved for your concerns. I wanted to analyze what was really going on here so I could provide the correct answers. We have a replacement drop out that will allow running a 2.5 Intense FRO tire ( same as 2.7 maxxis )with room to spare @ bottom out, it will also raise the BB by 1/2".
The M6 replaceable drop out setup (also used on Socom, SS, Uzzi, M3 ) was originally designed with the intention of being able to offer different dropouts for tuning purposes, unfortunately we haven't quite gotten around to producing all the options I planned just the 150, 135 & Maxle to date. Here we go, we will make the new M6 drop out available no charge to current M6 owners that want to make the change. With in a week or two we will make them avail through distributors and dealers. We will also ship all new M6's with the new Drop out. Also the drop out will be available for purchase to anyone wanting to modify their Socom , SS, Uzzi, or new M6. Might be nice for anyone using their SS for more trail application to help in the climbing geometry.
I realize my mistake here with my intention to give the consumer a DH exactly like our top WC racers run ( Matti, Chris etc.) a true FRO (for race only)and not some diluted down model but see now that this is not for everyone and was a bad idea. Intense has always pushed the geometry envelope starting way back with Palmer. Just because it works for Chris or Matti doesn't mean it will work for everyone. One guy posted a comparison to a BMW but my intention with the M6 was more like the BMW M3 GTR and yes the tolerances are tight and at times on the track it will throw sparks and burn rubber and most of us would never get it out of the pits with the 6" clutch & flywheel. Yes most of us would love a GTR but what we really need is a sport coupe.
I think the Drop out is a great fix and will allow either setup choice. I am really proud of this bike and hope that no one has been discouraged with this thread as I have never seen a WARNING posted like this. The bike is the best performing Intense DH frame to date. The new drop out solves the tire issues and allows for more range of adjustment with the BB height as fork clamp placements seem to be all over the place and really affect BB height.
Again hope this is acceptable and my mistake.

-JS

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I ordered my V10 in January and got it in March. I don't know how it happened but i was stoked, and i love it. But haven't had any time on a M6 to compare it to.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
James as a fan of low bb you recomend v10? Kinda strange recomending the highest bb on the market :P 13.75 with 165mm cranks won't be that low as some ppl run sundays with longer ones.

And the seatube hits have been solved already plus from what I've seen on bottoming out V10 seat also hits the tyre.
v10's run alot of sag so it puts the bb pretty low

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
V10

I rode a 2005 V10 for the past 3 years and it was an awesome bike. I got my 2008 a little over a week ago. Rode it 3 days at the US Open. Everything is better, turning, jumping and blasting through rock gardens. I'll post a longer review in a few days. Just got home from riding MX in the dunes and I am racing tommorow so I need to sleep.

Real quick edit, not sure why people are complaining about the leverage ratio on the V10. I have never had a problem with blowing up shocks on it. No fade either.

With regards to the Dirt guy, go read his older post. He is just pissed because his dealer took his deposit and told him a delivery date. SC wasn't guaranteeing any date and they surely weren't taking money until the frame shipped. The funny thing is that he was getting the frame on a bro hookup.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
"Nevermind the 10 years of backwards welds and mis-aligned frames and mis-matched paint jobs and horrible warranty work! We've got a new guy!"

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
go V10....I agree with what ChrisKring wrote above....I had a 2006 V10 and the difference between the two models is very appreciable...this new one is so taut and direct