Quantcast

V ---> disc ?

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
Is there a kit,bracket etc for upgrading from a rear V to a rear disc?

Why?

I would rather upgrade/replace my front shock rather than refurbish the one I have. If the upgrade is for disc only, I don't know if it's a good idea to run V in the rear and disc up front.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Your question is very hard to read. What does a fork have to do with your rear brake?

Im not sure if I am answering your question, but the majority of non-DH forks come with disc and v mounts.

To run a disc you need 3 things: A hub that is disc-compatible, a frame/fork with disc mounts, and a brake. What kind of bike do you have?

If you do not know if you wheelset is disc-compatible it probably isn't.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Kaleid said:
Is there a kit,bracket etc for upgrading from a rear V to a rear disc?
yes-> http://www.therapycomponents.com/BRAKETHERAPY.htm

why what?

I would rather upgrade/replace my front shock rather than refurbish the one I have. If the upgrade is for disc only, I don't know if it's a good idea to run V in the rear and disc up front.
Most of your stopping power comes from the front brake. I know plenty of people that run a disc up front and v's in the back

Kaleid

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Nashua, NH
Repack said:
Your question is very hard to read. What does a fork have to do with your rear brake?

Im not sure if I am answering your question, but the majority of non-DH forks come with disc and v mounts.

To run a disc you need 3 things: A hub that is disc-compatible, a frame/fork with disc mounts, and a brake. What kind of bike do you have?

If you do not know if you wheelset is disc-compatible it probably isn't.

My front shock is near 9 years old and has never been serviced. In lieu of servicing it, I would rather replace it. The replacement fork I want will not work with V-brakes. So, if I upgrade, is it ok to run V in the rear and disc up front. If it's not, I would need to either have a bracket of sorts to use a disc in the rear, or forego my fork upgrade plans.

However, it appears Disc up front and V in the rear may be fine.

My current wheelset is definately not disc compatible.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Kaleid said:
My front shock is near 9 years old and has never been serviced. In lieu of servicing it, I would rather replace it. The replacement fork I want will not work with V-brakes. So, if I upgrade, is it ok to run V in the rear and disc up front. If it's not, I would need to either have a bracket of sorts to use a disc in the rear, or forego my fork upgrade plans.

However, it appears Disc up front and V in the rear may be fine.

My current wheelset is definately not disc compatible.
It's fine to run disk in front and V in rear. I did that on my y-bike, worked great. However, upgrading to disk in rear with BrakeTharapy would be a worthwhile upgrade, IMO. The difference is that while Vees and disks both have good stopping power, vee brakes are harder to work with and don't perform as well in cold and wet conditions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Discs are all-around better, but it is a common setup to use a disc in the front and a V in the back, at least until you can afford to go with discs both front and rear.

Discs have better stopping power, better in all weather conditions, and better modulation. V's are lighter, the only advantage.