Quantcast

V for Vendetta

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Excrement. If you have seen the commercials, don't bother with the movie.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
stevew said:
Excrement. If you have seen the commercials, don't bother with the movie.
Care to tell us why?

I saw it. It wasn't incredible, but it was better than most of the crap released from the movie industry. Proved to be entertaining and the story didn't suck. I was expecting more exciting filming, but it worked out pretty well.

The Ito

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I thought it was a good movie... it def kept me entertained me for the 2 hrs . Plus it was a story line that has never been told

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ito said:
Care to tell us why?
It managed to bore me to sleep at a matinee showing. From what I vaguely remember of the book, they left a lot of explaining out of it.

Perhaps excrement was harsh. It just was not that great.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ito said:
Care to tell us why?

I saw it. It wasn't incredible, but it was better than most of the crap released from the movie industry. Proved to be entertaining and the story didn't suck. I was expecting more exciting filming, but it worked out pretty well.

The Ito
The man doesn't even like beer. :hot:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I decided last-minute that I would go see it opening night last week and I thought it was excellent. I haven't read the book so I don't have any opinion concerning how well it follows that, as I've heard it doesn't. But as it stands the story was great, the acting was great, definitely an interesting film that made me think and come away with all sorts of interesting ideas concerning government and what not. And, at least in my opinion, Natalie Portman was pretty hot. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i thought it was a badass flick and very well made. Whats his name (the actor that played V)did awesome.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Saw it last night. I was pretty impressed. It is cool to see a movie that has a pretty original story line these days in the Hollywood movie scene. The Wachowski brothers did a good job for sure. I wouldn’t say it is the best movie every or anything, but it was worth seeing.

Stevew, what are some movies you like?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i saw V for Vendetta last night, and i thought it was awesome. and quite relevant given the political trends over the past few years/decades...

:think:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
biggins said:
i thought it was a badass flick and very well made. Whats his name (the actor that played V)did awesome.

Hugo Weaving

I saw it. About a third of the way through the movie I was way into it and then it lost me a bit in the middle. By it lost me I dont mean I couldnt follow, I mean that I lost involvement with it. Without giving away too much I think it was the captivity part that did it, too out there. The end was awesome but at that point it was a little too late for me. Overall it was better than most but was so close to greatness that I left a bit dissapointed. A few minor changes and it might be my new favorite movie.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
hooples3 said:
I thought it was a good movie... it def kept me entertained me for the 2 hrs . Plus it was a story line that has never been told

please read a book will you. It's the count of monte cristo after all. The movie was okay, but like the matrix it was a rip off. You should ride more because film critique isn't your thing!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
SeaPig said:
You should ride more because film critique isn't your thing!

But it’s clearly your thing? Why don't you tell us about yourself in a way that lends credibility to your above comments? Are you a published critical personality? Otherwise, one would think that you are just a dick.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So just how violent is this flick? I want to see it, but the wife isn't too big on seeing a lot of graphic violence (e.g. Kill Bill and Sin City are not her cup of tea).

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
TheInedibleHulk said:
Hugo Weaving

I saw it. About a third of the way through the movie I was way into it and then it lost me a bit in the middle. By it lost me I dont mean I couldnt follow, I mean that I lost involvement with it. Without giving away too much I think it was the captivity part that did it, too out there. The end was awesome but at that point it was a little too late for me. Overall it was better than most but was so close to greatness that I left a bit dissapointed. A few minor changes and it might be my new favorite movie.
Me too, I think at around the same time I just went: “Whaa?” The end was cool, but blowing up the wonderful building brings a tear to my eye…on top of which, in all honesty, this movie should have been set in America, after all the brothers seem to be going against the Bush administration with a Vengeance. Amid the sometimes non-sequitur ‘holier-than-thou’ babble that kind of seeps out, which is typical of the Wachowski brothers trying to create their own pseudo-value system, it all seems a bit more like V is actually for Valueless.

Jon.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
So just how violent is this flick? I want to see it, but the wife isn't too big on seeing a lot of graphic violence (e.g. Kill Bill and Sin City are not her cup of tea).
it's not as violent as those two, but that's not saying much.

a stringer from slate magazine doesn't like the movie much: http://www.slate.com/id/2138561/

fwiw, i didn't like "brazil" all that much and am going to see V again tonight. :oink:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
imageWIS said:
Me too, I think at around the same time I just went: “Whaa?” The end was cool, but blowing up the wonderful building brings a tear to my eye…on top of which, in all honesty, this movie should have been set in America, after all the brothers seem to be going against the Bush administration with a Vengeance. Amid the sometimes non-sequitur ‘holier-than-thou’ babble that kind of seeps out, which is typical of the Wachowski brothers trying to create their own pseudo-value system, it all seems a bit more like V is actually for Valueless.

Jon.
they would get arrested for terrorism anf the movie would never have gotten had they filmed it in america. everyone knows what country they are alluding to.

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
biggins said:
they would get arrested for terrorism anf the movie would never have gotten had they filmed it in america. everyone knows what country they are alluding to.
WTF are you talking about? They wouldn’t have gotten arrested for terrorism if they filmed it in the US!

We might not be as free as we were before, but we are NOT that oppressed yet either.

Jon.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
biggins said:
:rolleyes:

The author wrote this about Margaret Thatcher's Britian... getta grip.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I (finally) got around to seeing it, and thought it was a fantastic retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo. I had seen the comics around but never got around to reading them, but I think they did a good with the story.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
N8 said:
:rolleyes:

The author wrote this about Margaret Thatcher's Britian... getta grip.

Regardless of the authors orignal intent it is blatantly obvious that in many ways they are critiquing the united states in the film. The current trend of surrendering freedom in the name of security is one of the central themes, and the fact that the government constantly invokes god and morality is no coincidence either. It didnt need to be set in America, the message remains the same. If they had set it in America it wouldnt have been true to the original story and it would have been too easy to dismiss as Micheael Moore-esque alarmist hippiebabble.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched it yesterday and I thought it was great.

Hugo Weaving has an almost hypnotic voice, and while Natalie Portman no longer does alot for me, babe-wise, I think she took some hard scenes and really turned on the dramatic power.

I also recommend to everyone to buy the comic book!