Quantcast

^v^v^ Domingo ^v^v^

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Excessively windy outside, riding likely won't be able to happen outdoors.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:stupid:
Another day of holiday funk.

Im tempered to knock down a wall between my dining room and living room. These projects need a propert kick start.
Peaty won't object to a walk this afternoon and you owe us a visit anyway.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Few snowmobiles have gone out on the lake, as witnessed during a quick bike ride last night. Could see where they sunk into the slushy ice at the shore, so I didn't have the gonads to ride out there. Maybe next week? Still all open water outside of this big bay.

Might go for a ride later?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Shiny! What rim is that?
Looks like Light Bicycle logo.

@Toshi I hope you've got studded tyres.

I should go repair the broken spoke on wifes trail bike rear wheel. I promise to you all I won't use gorilla tape or cushcore butt plugs in my repairs.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
How exactly did the spoke break again?
Didn't break.... original set of double butted spokes shop cut for me had a handful with bad threads...left me 3 short. Got replacements and put them in, only to find out later when final tensioning/truing they were straight gauge. Got good replacements and was trying to swap without losing nipples in rim. Did not work on the first. Worked on the second two, but I guess it's a moot point after the first.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Decided to not ski today, going for a ride instead. Woo hoo!

@CrabJoe StretchPants -- what was your method of changing the spokes w/o taking the tire off? When fixing/changing broken spokes, I've had pretty good luck using a small set of vice grips as a spoke wrench, just at the last few threads of removing/installing the spoke. That is, if the spoke didn't break off flush at the nipple and I am able to get it unthreaded.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Use a spoke wrench to completely loosen the nipple as i pull down on the spoke, keeping the nipple fully seated or as close to it as I can. Pretty much same thing putting the new one in. Use fingers on one hand to pinch the nipple (heh) and slowly turn and engage the threads as I hold the spoke down with the other hand and slowly let it up into the nipple. Once you get a thread or two you're good, assuming you don't let go of the spoke by accident beforehand and have it push the nipple up into the rim, which is what happened.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
On my repair the spoke has broken at the threads, had to take off the tyre, tape etc. Also I don't have a same model of nipple to replace the blocked one. OCD might not let me use a different one :p

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
White Ranch was 99% rideable (lower creek stairs), maybe 90% ice free. Not too many pucker moments.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When my spoke broke the elastic energy pinged the nipple end up through the tubeless tape, and unfortunately the sealant wasn’t able to seal that. I think generally ‘take it apart and do it properly’ is always a good call when it comes to wheels (anything actually).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:
Another day of holiday funk.

Im tempered to knock down a wall between my dining room and living room. These projects need a propert kick start.
Mind whether it's load bearing first. Then, come borrow tools.