Quantcast

v10 carbon vs intense m9

korean_boy

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Poland
I'm going to change my 09 v10 frame at the end of the season, and as title says I need to choose between v10 carbon or m9 (or another frame with 8,5+ inch rear wheel travel)

V10 carbon will be probably lighter but on the other side m9 has adjustable geometry and progression - I don't like linear v10 I currently own and new carbon one has almost the same curve (at 10 inch, at 8,5 is slightly more progressive ). However now I am running DHX 5.0 wich doesn't have 2 independent compression adjustmenst and rc4 has.

which frame would you choose ? Price is more or less the same (both frames will come with 2011 fox rc4 rear shock)

Or maybe I should buy new shock to my current frame ...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The 2010 V-10 felt really good. Do you think you would be using the M9 adjustments very often? If so then maybe go that route. But if you would rarely use them then maybe go Carbon. I know that didn't help you......looking to get one of these bike down the road to test. As I am sure others will also.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
These Bike Vs Bike threads are getting old, but this is a pretty fair comparison.. both have similar virtual pivot suspension designs, both about the same amount of travel, same purpose. I like the adjust-ability of the M9, but the V10 still has a decent amount of adjust-ablility.. I'd probably pick the carbon V10, mainly b/c it's so damn sexy looking..

korean_boy

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Poland
I don't like the way how my current v10 works, I know that I need a bit more progressive suspension and just wanted to know if there will be difference between my 09 v10 with dhx5.0 and carbon v10 with rc4 shock.

Appearance is not the most important thing, both frames look great....

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Or maybe I should buy new shock to my current frame ...
Hold on to your $$ unless it's burning a hole in your pocket and get your V10's rear end dialed in.

My V10's stock DHX w/steel spring had it responding like a slug so I PUSH'd the DHX & installed a DSP Ti spring. Once tuned the V10 was a completely different ride, a huge improvement.

If you're unable to tune the DHX you may want to consider a Vivid w/ Ti.

Good luck,

J

korean_boy

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Poland
and
I don't care how each frame look like, just wrote that because few guys reccomend my one frame because of it's appearance....

I am running 500lbs obtainium spring - I am 180 lbs so spring is ok, I have also tried many settings and still feel that frame is too linear.
I prefer a bit slower rebound than most of the riders and maybe I pack up supsension too easy - so re-valving dhx shock might be a good idea .

Last edited:

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
also check sizing

the V10 has a longer toptube then the M9, the V10 is slightly longet then the 2009 V10 frame(Medium size, while having a shorter wheelbase then the M9, this might also influence you decision

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
if you don't like your current V-10 why would you look to waste money on another one??? Carbon is sexy but is only I believe a pound or pound and a half lighter, also how will it hold up in the event of a crash? Get your current V-10 dialed first then if you don't like it get something different.
Keep in mind both the V-10 and M-9 are VPP, adjustability is nice but once it is set will you actually change it and it is still VPP.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I'll just throw this out there....AVAILABILITY. All things being equal, that would by my #1 criteria. Who can actually deliver when they say they can!?

All things aren't equal though so I'll state the obvious and say ride them if you can and compare first....yeah right, we know that isn't realistic.

If the price is close enough that it doesn't matter than here are two other things to think about (aside from sizing that Christian has pointed out already): carbon frame vs. many adjustments.

If you are going to use the adjustments on the M9, then that would probably be the way to go. If not, then they carry little value and the V10 may be a better option, more set and forget and carbon.

I have ridden/owned a carbon hardtail, carbon road bike and a carbon FS bike and they all made a huge difference over a comparable Alum frame. The suspension will level things out but the carbon still takes that extra edge off that is really nice. Something to think about.

korean_boy

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Poland
Norbar, do you have legitimate leverage curves / wheel rates for both of these? Don't think I've seen one for the Intense M bikes or even the V10 apart from questional Linkage files. I'd be interested to see what they look like.
you can check v10 on their web page - there is a graph for both v10.3 and carbon

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Norbar, do you have legitimate leverage curves / wheel rates for both of these? Don't think I've seen one for the Intense M bikes or even the V10 apart from questional Linkage files. I'd be interested to see what they look like.
They stated that in 10inch mode they want the new v10 to behave like the old one. The m9 is only in linkage but I doubt it will be incredibly different than what is there. Even if it isnt thinking that vpp=vpp is rarely true ;) Just look at 951 ;)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
time-bomb...

In regards to our availability-We are set to deliver on our scheduled date, we have hit every milestone on this project and for the first time Intense should deliver when we say ;) Which is October 2010 for M9-FRO.

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
FWIW, I bet the V-10 is a lot quieter than the M9. Either way, these are the two sexiest bikes being made.

This thread should be merged with the with the Demo-DHR thread as these four are the hottest bikes for 2011.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
FWIW, I bet the V-10 is a lot quieter than the M9. Either way, these are the two sexiest bikes being made.

This thread should be merged with the with the Demo-DHR thread as these four are the hottest bikes for 2011.

no doubt. Since I am not a VPP-Fan Boy I am still on the fence about the DHR or Demo but kinda leaning towards the DHR.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I don't like the way how my current v10 works, I know that I need a bit more progressive suspension and just wanted to know if there will be difference between my 09 v10 with dhx5.0 and carbon v10 with rc4 shock.
Good question and I'm sure a regular on rm has time on both.

I don't think the v10's (carbon or v3) suspension is going to provide the feeling you currently desire. I was simply trying to convey my experience while coming off a Demo 8 & Izimu my v10 w/ stock DHX felt like a slug until I got the rear end tuned then it was a totally different bike, not as lively as the Izimu or as conventional as the Demo 8 but the v10 hauls ass in the rough.

The guys here are providing lots of great advice and info. Good luck on your search.

J