Quantcast

VA Creeper?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
has anyone been on this trail/dirt road before? if you have is it something that my girlfriend and some of her friends would liek to ride? they like the "easy pretty" trails that dont take much thinking to ride.........

thanks

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I rode this trail a long time ago. It is a senic rail trail. It is a very easy ride. It has a slight downhill slope for the entire trail. The best thing to do is go to the bike shop in Abingdon and pay for the Shuttle. They will take you to Damascus (17miles ride) or Whitetop (34 mile ride). Then you just ride the trail down back to Abingdon. Makes for a very easy ride with not much thinking or pedaling for that matter. Here is the shop that offers the shuttle.

http://www.vacreepertrailbikeshop.com/

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
llkoolkeg said:
I have enjoyed creeper IN Virginia many times, but I've never ridden that particular trail.
Haha, me too. Good old Layman creeeeeepa'! Floyd use to be mecca. Combine that with the good 'ol Franklin county shine and you gotta good day.

I have ridden the creeper trail a few time too. We usuallly start in damascus and bike up to whitetop station and then back down. Mild cruising grade the whole way. Sight seeing with the folks kind of trail.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
mud'n'sweat said:
Haha, me too. Good old Layman creeeeeepa'! Floyd use to be mecca. Combine that with the good 'ol Franklin county shine and you gotta good day.
...and a good evening, too, if you went by the General Store on Friday nights for the jug band pickin'. More than once I ended up there with the creep and was able to parlay it for some of VA's Finest. I finally had to give up the corn squeezins after a particularly rough experience at the Charlestown Lollapalooza. :evil:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
When is your GF doing this ride? I might try to see if I can sneak my wife into this trip. She needs girls to ride with.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Tattooo said:
When is your GF doing this ride? I might try to see if I can sneak my wife into this trip. She needs girls to ride with.
im thinking early sept....she is wanting me to go now cause she is worried the bike might get a flat or break and i can fix it for her.......so it might be me, GF, my buddy and his wife going.....please make it also, more the marrier:D

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
llkoolkeg said:
...and a good evening, too, if you went by the General Store on Friday nights for the jug band pickin'. More than once I ended up there with the creep and was able to parlay it for some of VA's Finest. I finally had to give up the corn squeezins after a particularly rough experience at the Charlestown Lollapalooza. :evil:
Haha! Nice! I spent a ton of time at the General Store on Friday nights. That is pretty funny. I bet I'd recognize you if we ever ran into one another. I was there mainly in the late 80's to late 90's time frame.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
mud'n'sweat said:
Haha! Nice! I spent a ton of time at the General Store on Friday nights. That is pretty funny. I bet I'd recognize you if we ever ran into one another. I was there mainly in the late 80's to late 90's time frame.
I hung out there and at the 4th of July Floyd Hippiefests from Spring of '95 through Fall of '96. Back then, I had a Charles Bronson mustache, full beard and dready, waist-length hair...kind of like a big, overweight cross between Grizzly Adams and Rob Zombie. :D

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
llkoolkeg said:
I hung out there and at the 4th of July Floyd Hippiefests from Spring of '95 through Fall of '96. Back then, I had a Charles Bronson mustache, full beard and dready, waist-length hair...kind of like a big, overweight cross between Grizzly Adams and Rob Zombie. :D
Nice, you probably looked a lot like my friend Aaron then..lol. I was just down in Floyd all weekend for Floydfest pouring brews for my buddy who is the brewmaster at Starr Hill. My friend Aaron was out on the blue ridge parkway leading into the festival holding a sign that read (put your seatbelts on, federal road ahead) :rofl:

What a great weekend. The weather was nice and cool for July and the music was great. Highlights of the weekend were Railroad Earth, Drew Emmitt band with Tim O'brien, and late night had Toubab Krewe, Akoya Afrobeat, and the Unifire fire dance act (complete with hotties in flaming pasties:clue:

I'm beat, but I'm still going to head out for a ride and swim before I head back to work tomm.

EDIT: just found a link to unifire pic's from the other night...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40485215@N00/

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
That firedance thing looks cool...especially the Ha-T. I should have just come down there! I had a decent time hanging out, getting loaded, doing some riding and chuckin' some darts but I get bored with doing the same-type-thing too often. FloydFest would have just ruled, especially if I could have found my way back to that hippie party house in the middle of nowhere valley and they had the stage up, the bands playing and the illicit fireworks(etc.) flowing.