Quantcast

VA folks... need beach advice

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The family and I are going to be traveling down to VA in May for my cousin's wedding. I'd like to add a few days onto the trip for some time at the beach.

First off, will the water be warm enough to swim in mid-May?

Second - it will be myself, my wife, and our 2 kids (a 4year old and a 1year old). I'm looking for a good family oriented area (nice beach, decent hotels, typical restaraunts, that kidn of thing)... what do you recommend? I know about VA beach (duh)... any other beaches worth visiting?

We'll be traveling to Lynchburh from update NY via I81.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I would suggest hitting the beach on your way down or on your way back if your schedule allows. Try Ocean City, Maryland. Or Rehoboth Beach, DE, if you're looking for a smaller family-oriented beach. (Ocean City is over 100 blocks of pure beach trashiness and Rehoboth is smaller but has a homier, neighborhoody feel to it. Also, Rehoboth has a true boardwalk made of boards!) I lived in northern Virginia (near D.C.) for 28 or so years... and went to Virginia Beach only once for beach fun. Maybe it's better now, but last time I went to Virginia Beach (for a concert) people were running around in, "It's a white thing, you wouldn't understand" t-shirts. Trashy McTrashTrash. Of course, there are always idiots at the beach... it's inherent.

The water's going to be pretty cold in May/June. By August it warms up nicely. But the kids won't notice it's cold. It's safe enough for kids to do it... but adults usually can't hack it nearly as much.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
stosh said:
Actually there is Chincoteague which is really nice and mellow.
Oh, my God, Chincoteague! Super mellow!

In college, a friend's parents had a place there and we made the mistake of going during mosquito season. One night a group of us tried to run from the front door to our cars without getting eaten alive. The mosquitos followed us and got in the car. When we got done smacking ourselves and the windshield, our faces were totally smeared with blood. It looked like a frickin' horror movie! I vowed to never go back.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Oh, my God, Chincoteague! Super mellow!

In college, a friend's parents had a place there and we made the mistake of going during mosquito season. One night a group of us tried to run from the front door to our cars without getting eaten alive. The mosquitos followed us and got in the car. When we got done smacking ourselves and the windshield, our faces were totally smeared with blood. It looked like a frickin' horror movie! I vowed to never go back.
Holy fawk, I remember all the truck spraying for them when I went down. It's a great place for young kids and parents to relax.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I vote for the Delaware Beaches on the way back. I'm from Nothern VA, and have gone to Rehobeth and Delaware my whole life. We never to go to the VA beaches........ they are not that great.

As Capt. Jack said, Ocean City is an option, but its REALLY commercial.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
I vote for the Delaware Beaches on the way back. I'm from Nothern VA, and have gone to Rehobethand Delaware my whole life. We never to go to the VA beaches........ they are not that great.

Damn dude! Hate it when your right ALL the time! :p ;) Yeah yeah yeah, Rehobeth is the better choice, although, Nags head works better is quit a bit nicer....

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
BigMike said:
I vote for the Delaware Beaches on the way back. I'm from Nothern VA, and have gone to Rehobeth and Delaware my whole life. We never to go to the VA beaches........ they are not that great.

Yeah, isn't it funny how we northern Virginians tended to avoid Va. Beach?

My family went to Rehoboth up until I was about 12, then we made the full hike to Myrtle Beach, SC, every coupla years.

I looooooove Rehoboth. I hope to get married there. It is home away from home to me.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Yeah, isn't it funny how we northern Virginians tended to avoid Va. Beach?

My family went to Rehoboth up until I was about 12, then we made the full hike to Myrtle Beach, SC, every coupla years.

I looooooove Rehoboth. I hope to get married there. It is home away from home to me.

Its definantly a cool place :thumb:

My great aunt has a place in Sea Colony, so its even better because I get to stay for free :D

and I better be invited to your wedding! (can you get married in DE? ;) )

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
sirknight6 said:
Damn dude! Hate it when your right ALL the time! :p ;) Yeah yeah yeah, Rehobeth is the better choice, although, Nags head works better is quit a bit nicer....
Where is Nags head... I've heard of it, not sure when/where/why though?

I want something that's good for the family... i.e. kid friendly without being shoulder to shoulder with asshole tourists. Someplace a bit more mellow would be very cool.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Lewes, DE is awesome. Old abandoned army forts dotting the horizon. Just a short ferry ride to Cape May, NJ. Home of the Dogfish brewery as well. Great beer. It's pretty quiet and has that edge of the world kind of feel.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
jacksonpt said:

I want something that's good for the family... i.e. kid friendly without being shoulder to shoulder with asshole tourists. Someplace a bit more mellow would be very cool.
http://www.outerbanks.com/

I think it's just a better cleaner place to go. The outer banks gets a little more private. Lots to do!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
jacksonpt said:

Can you swim at Back Bay or False Cape? :confused:

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
... Or Rehoboth Beach, DE, if you're looking for a smaller family-oriented beach. ... Rehoboth is smaller but has a homier, neighborhoody feel to it. Also, Rehoboth has a true boardwalk made of boards!)........

Used to go there frequently in my youth when we visted Grandma on the Eastern Shore glad to see that perhaps it hasn't changed much in 30-40 years...:)