MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
gonna make a poll, hold on...

Choose 1 to 5 in the above poll based on the 'chart' below:
Code:
<-------------------------------->
1	2	3	4	5
1: I'm going to or already did get all vaccinations on schedule for my kid(s).
2. Got most on schedule or slightly spread out.
3. Got half and spread them out.
4. Got a only a few and spaced or delayed them quite a while.
5. Not going to get any at all.

Just curious. I'm still researching the subject.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
The doc felt Baby Becca wa still too small so he put off her first round until her next visit. The plan is get them on or as close to the schedule as the doc feels is appropriate.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do the REST of the civilized world a favor and GET YOUR KID VACCINATED.
it's not as simple as that.

What if you DO get ALL the vaccinations, but you wait a couple of years or you spread them out instead of getting NINE in one shot? I'm just sayin', it ain't a B&W issue.

I do agree tho that no vaccinations can put your kid at risk. Like a few years back, 70 kids died in the UK from whopping cough cuz they didn't get the vaccine and then enough didn't get it and then it spread since herd immunity dropped way too low.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The doc felt Baby Becca wa still too small so he put off her first round until her next visit. The plan is get them on or as close to the schedule as the doc feels is appropriate.
Clearly having a doctor that you trust is an extremely valuable resource. (We're going to 'interview' a doctor near us, but so many in our neighborhood have told us of one in particular that everyone respects, so the 'interview' is really just a meet-and-greet)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the autism/vaccine claim is critically lacking any sort of compelling data.
While my googling suggest that you're right, it does bring up other valid points. Like bunching them. Even if they don't cause any long term problem, people are suggesting that getting a dozen in one vist makes the kid sick for a few days. So, ya know, why not spread them out?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
We spread out Sarah's shots out a bit. There was no way we were letting them stick her as many times as they wanted to when she was only a few hours old. She's up to date now and has just to get her last set before starting Kindergarten.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Thimerosol, a mercury preservative put in vaccines before 1999 or so, is a big topic in the vaccine controversy. Many link it to autism, everyone feels it was was too much mercury to shoot into an infant.

I struggle w/ getting my kids vaccinated for everything (the hep b shot on the 2nd or 3rd day of birth), but my pediatrician says do it- and he was my pediatrician and I trust him.

Some vaccines, like hep b, is just a worthless protein, so there are no side effects. Measels, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox) are all attenuated (weakened) forms of the virus, so sometimes the kid gets a fever. Do your research and trust your gut.

Did you/she have the baby yet??

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Clearly having a doctor that you trust is an extremely valuable resource. (We're going to 'interview' a doctor near us, but so many in our neighborhood have told us of one in particular that everyone respects, so the 'interview' is really just a meet-and-greet)
We had the same experience and it worked out well. Even though we moved 45 miles away, my GF loves the pediatrician so much she makes the commute for the baby's appointments.

I on the other hand make the commute every day as I still work in the same town:disgust:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thimerosol, a mercury preservative put in vaccines before 1999 or so, is a big topic in the vaccine controversy. Many link it to autism, everyone feels it was was too much mercury to shoot into an infant.

I struggle w/ getting my kids vaccinated for everything (the hep b shot on the 2nd or 3rd day of birth), but my pediatrician says do it- and he was my pediatrician and I trust him.

Some vaccines, like hep b, is just a worthless protein, so there are no side effects. Measels, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox) are all attenuated (weakened) forms of the virus, so sometimes the kid gets a fever. Do your research and trust your gut.

Did you/she have the baby yet??
Good info.

Not yet, we're at 37 weeks, so could be any minute or a month from now :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sounds like you're going down the right road. Discuss it with your doc, then GET YOUR KID VACCINATED. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I KNOW my kid will at least need a tetanus shot. If he takes after me, we'll get to know the urgent care clinic really well. :D
Yeah. I've made 4 trips to the ER so far for kid stuff. :dead:

Although I have to say, staples are cool. :monkey:

And don't listen to Upg8r. Keep a positive attitude, hang loose, and you could be getting a full night's sleep within 4-6 weeks.

Or not. :p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hope you're not a big fan of sleep. I haven't had a full night in 3 months. But it's all good

Congrats and good luck
Eh, I'm up at 2am every other night now massaging my wife, making her tea, helping her stretch, drawing a bath. We've had a comparatively easy pregnancy and she's sore, exhausted, can't breathe, etc.

At least when the baby comes, while my wife won't get more sleep, she will get better sleep as it's nearly impossible for her to get comfortable or take a deep enough breath.

I suppose being a smaller than average woman, she's get less room for a typical size baby.

Thanks! And congo rats to you too!

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Yeah. I've made 4 trips to the ER so far for kid stuff. :dead:

Although I have to say, staples are cool. :monkey:

And don't listen to Upg8r. Keep a positive attitude, hang loose, and you could be getting a full night's sleep within 4-6 weeks.
Or not. :p
I wouldn't change it for the world :biggrin:

The first month was rough but it's getting easier all the time.

I actually enjoy my 3:00 AM play session. Something about that big toothless grin makes it all worthwhile

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Eh, I'm up at 2am every other night now massaging my wife, making her tea, helping her stretch, drawing a bath. We've had a comparatively easy pregnancy and she's sore, exhausted, can't breathe, etc.

At least when the baby comes, while my wife won't get more sleep, she will get better sleep as it's nearly impossible for her to get comfortable or take a deep enough breath.

I suppose being a smaller than average woman, she's get less room for a typical size baby.

Dude, don't put this stuff on the internet- it will only make it harder for all of us when "they" (the sisters) know guys do that stuff.

I told my wife back in the day women would have a baby and go right back to the farm work!!:)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida

You sound like a good guy. Being a woman looks pretty miserable sometimes, eh?

I drove 40 miles at 2 am to find crab legs. I actually threatened the store employees to get them to pull them out of the freezer. I'd rather spend the night in jail than tell a pregnant woman I couldn't get her craving food.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Our daughter got all the shots scheduled to date. Apparently they are giving some shots in combination form now. At her two month appointment, she only needed two shots for what used to require five (and two nurses gave them as the same time). You could tell it had a slight effect on her, she slept a lot that day, but was back to herself in the morning. Same with her 4 and 6 month shots.

Get you kid vaccinated, there is much more documented risk in not having it done.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Dude, don't put this stuff on the internet- it will only make it harder for all of us when "they" (the sisters) know guys do that stuff.

I told my wife back in the day women would have a baby and go right back to the farm work!!:)
I did tell her not to wake me up the first month. I can't feed the kid, so leave me alone :D

I also told her that everyone in my family has always been born late and 12-15#.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I drove 40 miles at 2 am to find crab legs. I actually threatened the store employees to get them to pull them out of the freezer. I'd rather spend the night in jail than tell a pregnant woman I couldn't get her craving food.
:rofl:

That's awesome.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Hope you're not a big fan of sleep. I haven't had a full night in 3 months. But it's all good

Congrats and good luck
I guess the upside is that you're in such a daze, you don't really notice how sleep-deprived you are. It wasn't until recently that I realized I don't have many memories from last summer - our daughter was born on July 4th. I'm sure we did stuff, probably things worth remembering, but it's all a little foggy.

edit: Not complaining, it's all worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Discussions of Round 2 are currently on the table.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mad-Dog had a few at 2 months or so. She went in for the first round at 8 months I think, then there was a follow up to a few. Then a round at 3, then she had a series before Kindergarten.

She didn't get the MMR until she was 3 I think.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to work with a guy who refused to get his kids vaccinated. He thought that they were injecting mind control micro chips. He had to get special religious rights waivers so his children would be let into school.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Willow probably got doubled up on some vaccinations. Her pediatrician didn't really trust the immunization records from China so he recommended strongly to start over. Otherwise she has been pretty much on schedule with hers.

She did get a fever after the last set but he pretty much said that would happen because of what she was getting.

I think having a doctor you trust is one of the most important things.

splat

Nam I am
I got my Kids all the shot , becasue they won't let them into school with out them.

the only one I really was thrilled with was the chicken Pox one, I say let the kids get it as Kids. its better they get it young then when they are older.

I didn't know you could get vaccinated against children.

I'm going to look into that.
Its called a Vesectomy. talk to a Ureologist about it .

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I got my Kids all the shot , becasue they won't let them into school with out them.

the only one I really was thrilled with was the chicken Pox one, I say let the kids get it as Kids. its better they get it young then when they are older.

Its called a Vesectomy. talk to a Ureologist about it .
I too used to think the chicken pox vaccine was a waste, but I know two babies that died of varicella (chicken pox). The older kid gave the pox to the baby and the baby could not beat the virus. The couple later got divorced. So chicken I let my baby get the pox vaccine. IF they make it to 4 or 5 w/out it, then maybe it's different.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I kinda don't want my kid to get really sick and die. I think vaccinations are a pretty good idea.

We will probably spread them out a bit though.

My wife is very much into healthy food and healthy living. We buy only organic produce and any other organic products where we can. Filtered water, etc.

No harsh chemical cleaners either.

She brought up the mercury thing for a moment, among other concerns. (motherly paranoia) Not an issue IMHO. I could not find anything concrete about it.

I argued that the risks involved w/ vaccines far outweigh the benefits.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
no vaccinations for my kid...never have and probably never will...same for my cats...D
While this is fine for some people, if everyone did this the diseases would gain a foothold again.

Glad that worked out for you. Keep your kids away from rock concerts.